Options

Propane tank switch, no gas?

Hi ,

I just changed my propane tank and now I do not have any gas at the stove.

I feel that I saw a discussion on this situation but cannot find it again.

I am driving and so am hoping it will heal by the time we stop tonight.

Its a new tank in a 2021 T@B 400.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,656
    The tank and propane regulator work together to shut off the propane from the tank when they think there is a leak in the system.  Sometimes, if you turn the propane on too quickly, the regulator senses "leak" and shuts off.  Try turning the propane off and then slowwwwly turn it back on and see if it resets.
    Here is one thread on it:

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Make sure you open the valve at the top of the tank VERY SLOWLY.  If too fast, it kicks in a safety device in the regulator.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86
    Well I guess the safety devise is engaged.  I just made a quick stop to check on it still no luck.  I will try turning it only slowly when we get to our stop for the night.  Hawthorne NV heading south.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @runaway30, I agree with the comments above re slowly opening the valve.  If that alone does not work, then close the tank valve and disconnect the hose from the propane tank.  Keep it disconnected for about a minute.  Then, reconnect the hose followed by slowly opening the tank valve.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    No luck so far I have tried 
    turning the n propane on slowly 
    reconnecting propane line after sitting disconnect for a few minutes 
    and for kicks I tried a different tank

I guess there’s no way to reset the leak detector on the regulator?

I am not getting any gas at the stovetop has to be the safety shut off I am guessing 

one more try disconnecting the tank
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @runaway30, not sure if this will help, but maybe worth reviewing:

https://www.rvtravel.com/hooking-up-an-refilled-lp-cylinder-check-this-out/

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Does the Alde work on propane?
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited March 2021
    Did you refill the empty? If so,, have you swapped it back in to try it...SLOWLY?  ;)

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Bump.  Runaway30 - where are you with this?  When someone posts a problem, we try to respond and help the best we can.  We look forward to feedback as to the results of our suggested solutions.  How are you doing?
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    ...& sometimes the resolve is something new...to add to the knowledge base!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @runaway30 - You’ve got mail =)
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Apologies 
    Heres where I am at
    Stove non op
    propane tank/ regulator functioning 
    Alde is operating on gas verified be observing heat at alde vent no error code for propane at panel

Creed feels this all points to stove defective 

I am still trying to bleed lines have spent several minutes at a time trying to light the stove. Hate to get to the dealership and find out it’s something fixable like bleeding the lines

I have 1 more night at FHU camp then was planning on dry camping
    I did not bring my camp stove 

Trying to decide stay course or head home

Campers really spoil dirt campers like us

what should we do keep going or bail out
  • Options
    I just got off the phone with Jordan at Nucamp 
    I am mistaken on the heat at the vent for alde
    on being gas
    Jordan feels shore power would also produce heat 
    so we will unplug and see if the alde heats

so far no propane error codes with shore power unplugged

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    By placing your ear closely near the burner you should be able to hear gas flow when the stove is turned on. If you can’t hear anything. You need to check for pressure in the tank. Their is a small screw on the side of the tank valve. Turn it slowly to the left you should be able to hear gas escape. If you can’t the tank is empty or almost empty. This should help you narrow down the problem.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Thanks All.
     I have come to the conclusion that the stove is defective.

I am basing this on the fact that the alde is running on propane alone, we are not plugged into power.

I am still trying on occasion to light the stovetop.

So as long as we have heat we will press on.
  • Options
    You may want to remove the stove and check the propane connection to it.  Very easy to do.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,656
    I know there were some threads about the stove "igniter" (or whatever the small tube near the burner itself is called) getting clogged.  I know it might be a long shot for both of them to get clogged...but if there has been a decent spill of "stuff" in your kitchen it might be worth it to take a look at those little tubes.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Presume when you open the valve for one of the burners you don't hear or smell LP, correct? 

Tried a butane lighter instead of internal igniter?
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    KirkKirk Member Posts: 5
    Having the same issue with a new 2021 Tab400. The stove worked when purchased, but on my first trip last week it did not work. The Aldi and refrigerator along with the propane tap all work.  NuCamp tech said the stove most likely is defective.   It looks like my new trailer will sit on the dealers lot 150 miles from home a few weeks awaiting warranty approval and repair.   
  • Options
    Agree with Airboss - try using a butane flame to light the stove. Those “automatic” igniters are notoriously prone to malfunction. 
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    @runaway30 - One thing with my 400 is that it needs for the propane tank to be screwed to the hose very tightly to "pass" gas. When I think it's tight enough, I tighten it even more. Make it super tight is all I can say. That's what works for me when I think something in the propane system is defective. It's me not tightening it enough. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I have to ask, I assume that you are pushing in on the knob for the stove when you are attempting to light it? On our 2017 320-S and our 2020 400 BDL no gas will flow until you hold in on the knob. After lighting, there is a thermocouple that when it heats up allows the gas to continue to flow and you can release the inward pressure on the knob.

I am pretty sure that you have tried this but I don't remember seeing it mentioned in this thread.

Good Luck!

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    KirkKirk Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I have done that, used matches to try and light it and disconnected and reconnected the propane tank. The nucamp tech walked me through all of those procedures. The other propane fueled items work without a problem.  Looks like a bad stove but the tech at the dealer has to confirm that to get warranty work approved. 
  • Options
    Bummer...hope it is resolved ASAP. Good luck. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Hi All

I have done most all except trying to take out the stove.  

-held in the knob
    - Used a lighter
    like Kirk I have gas to alde and this my second trip worked fine a few weeks ago
    No propane smell with burners on

I feel the stovetop is pretty basic and I am still surprised it’s defective.  Though I did get the same response from Creed at Nucamp stovetop is defective.

Good thing we are old timers when it comes to dirt camping.  I have a magma grill and wood for the fire so full steam ahead with this trip until the wheels come on off

We just set up in burro creek campground near weikiup az actually hit snow flurries in kingman ax. 
    but now we have a great spot suns out life’s good 

Apperciate all the advice

Runaway30
  • Options
    The stove is very easy to remove. There are four screws hidden under the rubber bumpers at each corner that the glass cover sits on. Break the caulk bead along the edge of the stove that touches the countertop with a plastic putty knife (or credit card). The stove will now lift off the countertop.  The only thing attached is the propane hose to the stove. May want to turn off the propane at the tank, unscrew the hose going into the stove and put the end of the hose out the front window. Open the tank ever so slightly. If you hear or smell propane coming from that hose, then you’ll know it’s the stove itself. Reattach the hose to the stove. Check for leaks.
  • Options
    Thanks Tabasco that’s good to know 
    I wonder if that would affect a warranty claim?
     I will sleep on it 
    Runaway30
  • Options
    If you don’t need the stove this trip, then I highly recommend you just take it to your dealer for warranty work. Propane is not something to mess around with.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I can't say with absolute certainty, but there's really not much to the stove--or its propane connection--that I would think would affect warranty if you removed them. You are not actually mucking with the device itself.

However, it's possible this test might not work. I've heard (and we know how that works...) that if there is a downstream leak as you open the tank the flow of propane may be stopped either by the regulator or the tank itself. I'd be interested if anyone can confirm or refute this.

Regardless, if you do remove the gas line make sure you reinstall it properly depending on the type of fitting, and be sure to check thoroughly for leaks with soapy water. 

But if you are not comfortable dealing with propane connections, that I agree with Tabaz you should leave it to someone else.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Resolution 
    Getting to be about dinner time so I thought let’s try to light the stovetop.
     I turned the knob to light and immediately heard gas hit the igniter and we are cooking with gas!

Explain that, it’s been 5 days since we switched tanks and the stovetop stopped working.  Now it’s suddenly working why
    I am pleased that it’s back but why?

Thanks again for all the support 
    Kirk I would keep trying and I hope yours comes back on its own as well

Runaway 30