Condensation between the windows panes.

We had a hard rain the last few days and today it's nice and warm. Went out to the TAB 400 and noticed moisture between the windows panes. No leaks in the camper just moisture between the front window panes. Anything I can do? Thanks

Comments

• berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 960
    Are there any cracks in the actual acrylic that you can see?  I'm not sure how the windows are constructed but I can only think that the seal between the two panes has been broken.  If that is the case it really negates the insulative qualities of the window and may need to be replaced.  I would reach out to NuCamp and see what they say. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • SgtYorkSgtYork Member Posts: 31
    No I did not see any cracks. Thanks Thant's what I'll do.

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Some slight condensation between window panes is normal, according to the manufacturer’s info sheet that came with our replacement front TaB400 window.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Could you run a shop vac along the edge and see if the moisture starts getting drawn to a certain spot where the seal may be broken?
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    edited March 2021
    Yes, that is about what I had when I reported this to nüCamp, they sent me the window manufacturer’s sheet stating this is to be expected, as air (with some moisture in it) is trapped between the panels, this is not a vacuum seal.  My solution was to keep the TaB slightly heated (around 50F at night) and this eliminated the issue for me.  
    cheers
    Might be, but I did not have that problem before the big rain.

edited March 2021
    Min also occurred after a cold front rain, but can also happen when the temp reaches dew point for the trapped humidity in the window.  Imhave not had an issue rain et all since adding a little heat inside the trailer, which keeps the inside of the window dry.
    Cheers
    edited March 2021
    But none of the other windows are doing it. Makes me think the front one is defective.

• berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 960
    Does not look right to me either.  That's a lot of condensation in a dual pane window.  Acrylic dual pane windows should not have condensation like that.  Besides weight savings no condensation and warmth are the other advantages of these plastoform acrylic windows.  I would ask for a new window and not buy the "it's normal" answer.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited March 2021
    @SgtYork, I have never encountered condensation between the panes on my acrylic windows. but I did a little searching online and found the below info about the Plastoform acrylic windows.

"CONDENSATION

Condensation can appear on the window or between both panes. This is a normal occurrence that appears because of different temperatures inside and outside, moist and properties of acrylic itself.  Condensation will disperse after some time. This doesn’t mean that there is something wrong with the  window  or  that  it  is  leaking.  With  properly  ventilating  the  vehicle,  you  can  in  most  cases prevent also condensation."

NOTE:  Another post I found (from an RV manufacturer manual), referenced the little plastic "breathable" plugs on the inside pane, which apparently help prevent condensation.   Those  plugs are visible in the upper right and left corners of the window in your photos.  However, I can't tell for sure if they are present at both locations, so you might check that (i.e., it looks like it is present on the right side, but I am not sure about the left side.)  Also, in the other post I reviewed, it indicates that condensation may occur while driving, but that does not appear to be the case with your windows.  Additionally, the manufacturer advises to close the windows while towing.

BUT, when your trailer is stored, or even while you are camped, I recommend that you leave at least one window and the roof vent cracked open slightly.  This will assist in proper air circulation and temperature balancing (inside and out.) 

See this 2007 article as well:  https://ezinearticles.com/?RV,-Motorhome-And-Caravan-Window-Condensation---How-To-Prevent-And-Get-Rid-Of-Misty-Windows&id=580068

Regardless of the above info, you may want to contact Plastoform and see what they say.  It looks like the company name is now Acryform:

E-mail: info@acryform.com

Web: www.acryform.com

SIDE NOTE:  During my search, I came across the following 2018 article about acrylic windows used in the RV industry.  It quotes Scott Hubble of nuCamp:

https://rv-pro.com/features/clear-advantage-0/
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

edited March 2021
    Yes, there was an issue in forming some of the windows used on a 2018 TaB, mine was replaced due to this, and the new front window had the condensation issue similar to the OPs.  Contacted nüCamp and was to,d this is normal in some situations.  As Bayliss stated, venting the trai,ER is important, and in the colder damp conditions I have here in the Pacific Northwest winters, a little heat, in addition to venting (I slightly open the roof hatch) will minimize this occurrence.

The TaB400 front window get it more easily due to it size and location, catches more sun light, and the outside warms up quicker than the inside in an unheated unit.
    cheers
  • kmitchell80120kmitchell80120 Member Posts: 3
    I've read all of the posts about the condensation and the ideas about keeping a window open a bit as well as the top vent. I am also reaching out to nuCamp as well as the window manufacturers. Our windows, however, don't have anything that looks like the condensation pictured above. It is more like smudges! I don't think that it would even show up in pictures. After I get an answer from nuCamp or the window people, I'll post it here. Does anyone have anything that looks like smudges? Again, they are in between the 2 layers and are scattered in a sort of a long streaky vertical pattern.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    edited June 2021
    @kmitchell80120 - Please read this thread:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9604/400-front-window-warping-marring-replacement-available-see-drodabaugh-9-2-and-9-10-posts/p1

Specifically the September 2019 entries by member drodabaugh.  You may have a window with a factory defect.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    @kmitchell80120 I would suggest getting some Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish (Honda 08732-SCPOO) and use as instructions on the spray can indicate. We had "smudges" on our windows after storing our T@B400 under a cover and the Honda Cleaner worked amazingly well to remove the abrasion from the cover. We had to apply it twice cause ours were pretty bad. I think this may clear things up for you (pun intentional).

Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

@kmitchell80120 - Please read this thread:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9604/400-front-window-warping-marring-replacement-available-see-drodabaugh-9-2-and-9-10-posts/p1

Specifically the September 2019 entries by member drodabaugh.  You may have a window with a factory defect.
    You are correct. Last big rain put about an 1 to 2 inches of water inside the window. Finally convinced NuCamp I had a problem and they promply sent me a new window. 2nd picture shows where the factory did not seal the window.