Options

De-wintering and shower drain is backing up. What to do.

andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
I was just opening the faucets for the bleach to run though the system and I noticed water and antifreeze backing up in the shower floor 0f 2021 320 S Boondock
What can I do to get it to drain?
The gray water tank gauge showed  only 3/4 full. I mopped out the water/antifreeze/bleach cocktail.
Hesitant to turn water back on.
2021 320 S Boondock
Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
Des Moines, IOWA!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    It’s usually better to dewinterize/sanitize where you have a hookup including sewer because it takes so much water to flush.  You need to drain your gray tank.  If you don’t have a portable tank, you can drain it via a bucket - then ideally discard down your sanitary sewer.  

BTW - not unusual for the gray tank to overflow into the shower pan at about 75-80%.  Also, the fresh water tank will start sucking air at about 18-25%.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    For those of us who don't have electronic tank monitors, gray water backing up into the shower is the only way we know it's time to dump!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    It’s usually better to dewinterize/sanitize where you have a hookup including sewer because it takes so much water to flush.  You need to drain your gray tank.  If you don’t have a portable tank, you can drain it via a bucket - then ideally discard down your sanitary sewer.  

BTW - not unusual for the gray tank to overflow into the shower pan at about 75-80%.  Also, the fresh water tank will start sucking air at about 18-25%.

Thanks @Sharon_is_SAM! You have all the answers! I have been emptying the gray tank bucket by bucket. I"m off to a campground tomorrow to repeat the sanitizing process. By the way, I followed your de-winterizing instructions every step of the way. Thanks for that too! So easy. Minus the flood.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    @andyboy Next time, start with an empty gray tank😂 
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM it started out that way. Just got it out of storage. Once of all the pink was gone I thought I had all the antifreeze out but the foam kept coming. Obviously ran too much water. Lessons learned.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    @andyboy - sounds like the antifreeze was through out the plumbing.  You did not use too much water, just use as much as it takes to clear the AF.  Will you try the blow out technique next time!
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM ...Oh? As opposed to antifreeze?
    Yes. Absolutely.
    i did and then did the antifreeze too.
    Not next year. It was my first time. 
    It is better isn’t it?

2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    I will say that the spring de-winterization is much easier when you just blow out and use targeted AF to winterize.  But, I think using the full system AF is very easy when you winterize!  The owner’s manual specifically says to drain, then blow out, then use AF.  I think that is odd that they want you to blow it out and add AF.  All that AF should be enough!  They also have a disclaimer for just using the blow out technique.  I suspect the Nautilus manifold system may collect water if you don’t do a careful blow out.  Careful is key.

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Unless you have a proper compressor with a drier, compressed air may contain a significant amount of moisture. The amount is temperature and humidity dependent. Antifreeze insures 100% protection of the plumbing.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2021
    This warning tag is a precaution statement from nüCamp, not a hard and fast never just blow about the lines only to Winterize, to a recommendation to use both procedures for maximum protection.  This is all going to depend on how severe your winters are, and the level of protection you want.
    Plumbing only freezes and cracks or damages the water lines and pipes, when they are full of water, and the expansion due to freezing has no where to go.  A pipe with minor traces of water, and lots of air in it, that has been vented by leaving the tap open, will not cause damage due to freezing as the little water left is not trapped, and has room to expand in the pipe.  Our house in Minnesota had outside taps, that in the winter had to be isolated with cutoff valves in side the basement, then the outside tap was opened (and left open) and gravity drained.  This prevented these exposed pipes and taps from freezing.  
    I follow the same practice with our exposed standing garden water taps and riser  pipes when we have a freeze.  The stand pipes are all plastic water lines, and I have not had one freeze damaged after just being isolated and drained, tap left open.  
    I do the same with our TaB in the winter, I just drain the tanks and water lines, blowing out with compressed air, insures the valves are cleared and no trapped pockets of water remain that could cause damage.  RV antifreeze in the traps and outside tank drain gate valve, and Bob’s your uncle... 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Plumbing and fixtures used in homes are very different than the kit that is used in RV's. Home plumbing fixtures, faucets and valves are brass or bronze. There are drains and shutoffs for outside lines that are used for home winterizing. They are all very freeze tolerant.
    RV faucets and valves (think shower, toilets etc.) are plastic that will shatter if even a few drops of water are left in a low spot, even with the faucets left wide open. Hopefully you never experience this. Replacement components are not readily available. Standing water is not necessary for winter damage to occur. Less than a teaspoon is all it takes.
  • Options
    @tabiphile - there are an awful lot of owners who have successfully used the blow out technique without any issues.  Now granted, if you aren’t thorough, and water is left to accumulate (toilet valve and outside shower), then you can have a problem.  My understanding is that pex is more tolerant even if a little water remains in the line.  
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Sharon, you are quite correct.  While some plastics become brittle at freezing temps, the fixtures used by nüCamp are similar to those used in boats, and are quite durable.  Yes water left trapped in a valve, can freeze, expand and cause damage to the valve.  But opening up all the valves and blowing the water out, should do the job for most winter situations.   The fixtures are higher end RV/Marine fixtures, not the cheap stuff used by a lot of RV manufacturers.  

The water pipes and PEX tubing runs in a TaB will not be damaged by traces of water left in them freezing.  These are the same pipe and water line materials used in houses.  The white sift water filler and pump connection lines are marine grade materials used in boats. The galley faucet in a TaB400 is a Dometic fixture, and sells for around $150, not exactly inexpensive.
    Cheers
  • Options
    So @Sharon_is_SAM, I repeated the process today. No problems. No shower backup. All evidence of antifreeze seemed absent. However, when running the  bleach solution—mixed as per instructions—through the faucets, I never detected a bleach odor. There was a faint odor but not bleachy, and a bit of foaming,  same as yesterday. 
    Is this normal? 
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    How long did you let the leach solution stand in the water tank?
    cheers
  • Options
    @Denny16, about two and a
    half hours.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @andyboy - if you used about 1/4 C per 10-15 gallons of water you are fine.  It does not need to reek of bleach to be effective.  You are sanitizing, not sterilizing😊.   Foaming sounds like residual AF.  All you need to do is rinse it through again.  Sorry.
  • Options
    Thank you @Sharon_is_SAM!!!
    My friends have a saying for me: “Paranoia self-destroya.” I dwell on things....too much.
    But thank you.
    Like I’m going  to drink the water snyway.
    All is good. Thank you!
    Until  the next time....
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!