Options

Soot Removal?

DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
I wanted to dress up the T@B a little before trade-in time, so I put on 20" rims and super low profile tires. I was originally just going to add regular chrome spinners since they were on sale at the tire and wheel shop I used. But since I already had a tee-off of the propane line for the barbeque, they convinced me to purchase a $1700 flame spinner system instead. They ran new lines through the axle to replace the EZ-lube centers, and overall the auto spark system works great, and I'm only going through half a tank of propane on a typical travel day.

A couple rangers have given me grief in burn ban areas, but my real problem is the wheel well and camper side appearance. They're picking up a lot of soot or smoke or something.  I've tried various solvents, but can't seem to remove the stuff.  Should I just paint over it? Any other suggestions?

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,434
    Nice! I had spinners like that one season, but every time I hit a cross wind my tires caught on fire and exploded. I'm thinking your low profile skins probably help to mitigate that problem.

That soot was always an issue for me, too. I never found any easy way to clean it off, so finally just gave up. After all, every stain tells a story!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    April Fool’s!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    I was hoping to see more date sensitive postings this morning.  Something like a 2021 T@B 400 for sale for only $1000, that has to be sold because they discovered their partner snores.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Just doesn't seem practical @DougH. I read on Instabook that the trending thing to do is switch your electric dryer out for propane (with a T off the barbeque line) to make it easier to do laundry when boondocking.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    OK, CrabTaB, but a propane torch connected to the tee can be used to speed dry clothes on a small line, saves bulk and weight, and hauling a dryer around...  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    OK, good April 1 ha, ha guys... 
    Doug, saw right through this one, soot looks airbrushed in, nice try... ha, ha...

On a serious note, tying into the thread title, I recently discovered you can remove a lot of stains, including glue residue left by command hooks, from the side of the TaB by using good ole WD40.  On dry hard bits, let it soak in a while, and the junk is supposed to wipe right off.  Got this from Sean, the service tech at our nüCamp dealer Vogel’s in Ukahia.  Going to give this a try and report back in a separate discussion.... 
    cheers
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Doesn't weigh any more than the electric dryer @Denny16, probably less since their isn't the weight of all the copper motor windings. I let you know if I decide to go with the mod.

Since boondocking is becoming more in vouge though it is important that we keep up with things and not be caught airing out dirty laundry while on the road.   ;)

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Nice CrabTaB, but you could eliminate all motors, and go with a Stirling engine, getting its heat from the propane burner to rotate the dryer drum, more weight saved...
    We do not air out our dirty laundry sir, just our clean ones... 
    cheers