Options

Hey, You Wild and Crazy Outback Owners

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
Hoping this draws the right crowd. :)

Would one of you mind telling me what the sticker on your trailer tells you for tire pressure? I added the Outback axel and tires and the 35 lbs my trailer is rated for does not look quite right - it looks a little soft. Were you guys given an owner's manual specific to the Outback?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited July 2015
    Outback tire (just looked):  General Grabber AT2.  27x8.5R14.  50psi.  No manual for the Outback provided.  Received all other manuals.  The online version for the T@B shows 50psi for the other models.

Stickers (i.e. Vehicle recommendation) I use as a baseline and adjust air pressure depending on load and road surface. 

Most trailer tires are 50psi as they function differently than a vehicle tire.

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited July 2015
    source3 said:
    Outback tire (just looked):  General Grabber AT2.  27x8.5R14.  50psi.  No manual for the Outback provided.  Received all other manuals.  The online version for the T@B shows 50psi for the other models.

Stickers (i.e. Vehicle recommendation) I use as a baseline and adjust air pressure depending on load and road surface. 

Most trailer tires are 50psi as they function differently than a vehicle tire.

I have to disagree in regards to the T@B.  The factory has stated 35lbs.  I don't own an outback but the tire pressure is related to weight not the axle or height,  I would suspect the same pressures or close to it.  The sidewall 50 psi is a max pressure for a max load on that tire.  There is almost no chance any T@B could come close to the weight required to demand that max pressure.  

Even the regular T@B tires state 50 psi max

After stating the above, there is the chance I could be wrong...shocking I know, so it will be interesting what the factory says when they open back up next week.  
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Rad said:
    I have to disagree in regards to the T@B.

Do not know what to tell ya.  Just checked the actual tire pressure.  48 psi.  Picked up the T@B Outback two weekends ago from the dealer.  Drove the trailer from Phoenix to Durango.  Pressure did not feel over inflated.  FYI:  Been towing trailers (landscaping/utility trailers) for over 25 years so that is what I am basing my opinion on.  I will be interested to see what others come up with as now I am curious.

Took a closer look at the T@B Manual.  Here are the tire specs.  T@B is hidden in the middle.  No mention of the Outback model.

Tire Sizes – all tires are 5 lug on 4.5”
    Rascal / 4x7 and 5x7 Joey / 4-Wide / 5-Wide / RT
    175/80D13
    1360# / 50 psi (we recommend not filling it to that level)

4x8 / 5x8 / 5x10 / 6x10 / 6-Wide / 6-Wide Sport / 6x10 RT / T@B
    205/75D14
    1760# / 50 psi (we recommend not filling it to that level) *Whitewall Tires – 1532#/35psi

Rough Rider
    235/65R15
    1820# / 50 psi

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

Jenn, I doubt you will ever get a definitive answer to that question.  There will likely be as many different opinions as there are answers.  The most disagreed upon topic of any brought up in any trailer forum.

I run 45 psi in my current tires.  When I first got the trailer, I ran 35 psi as recommended by the manual.  Granted, they were not top quality tires, but did not take long for them to pit and wear on the outside, a definite sign that they were under inflated.  My new radial tires have done great at 45 psi and that is where I will continue to run them until something proves that not to be correct.

I know you have done research on this and hope you are able to find the right pressure for your trailer and weight combination. 

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Jenn:  I think I read in another thread that you have on-board air in your Jeep.  If so, play with the tire pressure while traveling.  Re-inflate as needed.

As RZRBUG stated, tire pressure varies.  On my vehicle, I run:
    • 40 psi on pavement
    • 32 psi on maintained dirt/gravel roads
    • 23 psi on rougher dirt roads
    • 18 psi off-roading
    So much for recommended tire pressure =)
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    Thanks, everyone. For the record, they do recommend 35 lbs but based on everyone's feedback, I am going to bump it up to between 45-50 lbs. on pavement, depending on load.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Manufacturers recommended psi works for me.  Smooth safe ride and less damage to the trailer and its contents. 
    Jenn, if your new tires are radials, they will look like they have a slight bulge at the bottom, they should as opposed to nonradial tires

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2015
    I had ours at 35psi, and they ended up wearing on the edges like RZR said.

So I took them up to 42 or so, if I remember right. Trial and error...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Andrew...do you have your Outback now?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Keep mine at 40 psi. Life is good.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Sorry Jenn. I just realized that your subject line specifies the Outback. (sort of ;-) )
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    It's OK, Chan - we always tend to wander a bit in these threads.

• Options
    If anyone thinks tire psi is controversial with trailers, try a motorcycle forum.  OMG!  We are talking 1 or 2 lb debates, then of course there is the 10% rule and lets not forget the nitrogen debate.  It just tells me that there are a lot of correct answers when it comes to these types of things.  
  • Options
    Andrew...do you have your Outback now?
    PM sent.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    It's sort of like asking the proper amount to air down tires for off-road driving. :)

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    When I had my 5-wide Reverse Teardrop, I ran the tires about 37-40lbs (35lbs was recommended in the manual). Anything more, and the lightweight trailer bounced a whole lot more down rough roads.

The T@bitha has the same 35lb tire recommendation, but since it's nearly twice the weight load as the RT, I'll probably run those tires between 42-45 lbs. YMMV :) (bad pun, couldn't resist - for those of you who know the acronym).

Sis has Outback and has the larger radial tire. I haven't asked what she is going to run them at.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)