Can I tow it?

Hello.  I am wondering if I can safely tow a 2018 t@b 320s boondock edition (that says on the sticker gvwr 2,800 #s and gawr 2900) 1,200 miles with a manual 4 cylinder 2013 subaru outback 2.5I premium that says max tow capacity 2,700 #s. Or would I be better off going with my 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro (awd) Avant (Wagon) (that can supposedly tow 1600kg/3,500 #s if it's braked)? Thanks.

Comments

• SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    I would always go with higher towing capacity. You’d already be overweight in your Outback without any cargo, so that vehicle is a non-starter. In an accident, you would be at fault for towing over capacity. 

Does your Audi have the 7-pin connector installed? You will need that plus a brake controller. Possibly some sway bars. I pull my 320 S with my Subaru Ascent. Technically I could pull a 400, but I’m not comfortable being that close to max capacity. Tongue weight is important, too. Don’t forget to check that number vs vehicle rating. 1200 miles is a long way to drive. Think about hills and wind and how much other stuff you want to pack.
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    Keep in mind that those are maximum weights allowed. They are the highest weight the trailer is rated for, not the actual weight. Look for the dry weight and add fluids and gear to that to determine if you’re within your towing limits.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• subienewbie21subienewbie21 Member Posts: 3
    SubaruLou said:
    I would always go with higher towing capacity. You’d already be overweight in your Outback without any cargo, so that vehicle is a non-starter. In an accident, you would be at fault for towing over capacity. 

Does your Audi have the 7-pin connector installed? You will need that plus a brake controller. Possibly some sway bars. I pull my 320 S with my Subaru Ascent. Technically I could pull a 400, but I’m not comfortable being that close to max capacity. Tongue weight is important, too. Don’t forget to check that number vs vehicle rating. 1200 miles is a long way to drive. Think about hills and wind and how much other stuff you want to pack.
    For The 1,200 miles, it would be empty.  Just to get it home/to storage.
  • subienewbie21subienewbie21 Member Posts: 3
    SubaruLou said:

Man what a nightmare.  Even with a strong vehicle, so many different variables.  And the unit will cost me over $10k at this point.  And it has undercarriage damage.  So I am really dismayed.  I guess I may buy a new Freesolo Go instead, something I can tow with either vehicle.  Thanks to all for their input.
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @subienewbie21 whatever you choose to buy and tow, if you do your homework on the numbers first then you will know that you are towing safely for both your life and those who share the road. I knew nothing about towing before I bought my Tab 320S, owned a Subaru Outback, learned what the terms mean, etc, and traded it for a gently used Toyota Highlander. Dry weight on a trailer is before add on's, like a battery, propane tank and propane, and every single thing you put on or in it. The other thing you mentioned is that this unit has undercarriage damage. That alone would send me running away as quickly as possible! Good luck in your search and happy camping!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    SubaruLou said:

Man what a nightmare.  Even with a strong vehicle, so many different variables.  And the unit will cost me over $10k at this point.  And it has undercarriage damage.  So I am really dismayed.  I guess I may buy a new Freesolo Go instead, something I can tow with either vehicle.  Thanks to all for their input.
    What kind of undercarriage damage?

Newer models had a plastic sheeting underneath.  Is that damaged, or is the damage to the frame, tanks, etc?
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL