Options

Help! Screen Door String Issue

Does anyone have experience fixing this?
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    edited April 2021
    Thanks Bayliss.  Looks like this repair is over my paygrade.
  • Options
    Anyone know the manufacturer of the T@B screen doors?  A company named Plisse sells a very similar product for $215 with free shipping.  Would be nice to get a direct replacement. 
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @Tabaz I was quoted about $250 plus $50 shipping for the door. I am going to nuCamp in a couple of weeks for some service and they will sell me one and install it for $250 so it was an easy choice.
    Meanwhile, I drilled a hole through the frame and put a small wire tie through it. Then my wife attached some strong thread to the original and tied it to the homemade attachment point. We have been using it that way for months. Its ugly but it works. LOL
    We camp host in our 400. While we love the TAB, this type of door is not up to constant use and if we ever bought another camper, it would not have this style screen.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    What exactly happens when this string breaks? Does the pleated screen not collapse properly when the door is slid closed?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Scott - I don't notice any problems with opening and closing the screen with this defect.  I can only assume it will get worse over time.  I believe this string(s) are connected to one another within the frame. Jeff - I agree, this type of screen is not designed for constant use.  However, it is very convenient and fast.  Will look into the Plisse door and report back.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @Tabaz , I believe the manufacturer is Horrex.  Also, my understanding has been that "DuoPliss" is their dual screen for the window.  Below is a link to their site, which has an installation manual for the "Flyscreen Door," but it is in Dutch.  I have an English version (.pdf document), but for some reason I am unable to upload it here.  I found a site that has English instructions, but they are not for the same model screen door.

https://www.horrex.nl/flyscreen-doors

(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    Thank you Bayliss!! Their website has the instruction manual in English.  However, it was written "By Engineers, For Engineers."  So the Dutch version is just as helpful as the English one.  I'll learn more when I pull this thing apart.  Thanks again.
  • Options
    Just found this video (no sound):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN2nEqAflnc

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Glad you found the English version, @Tabaz   I obviously found it somewhere in the past, but did not make a note of it.  The video is helpful as well, but then again, it always looks easy to someone who knows what they are doing.   ;)   I'm guessing the original video may be in Dutch, so probably it is just as well that it is silent.  Best of luck to you if you tackle the re-stringing.  Please let us know how your adventure turns out.

• Options
    This has been a Fools Errand extraordinaire.  Purchased about $50 in parts to replace the broken string.  Here's what I experienced.  The cord referenced by another poster is too thick to thread in a standard needle.  OK, then buy thinner cord and larger needles.  Well that makes sense.  Not so fast.  The larger needle will not fit through the openings in the screen material.  AND the smaller needles are too small for the even smaller cord.  BTW, there is no way to thread the new cord through the screen without a needle. I am so done with this escapade (first time I get to use "escapade" in a forum post). Will be buying a new screen door post-haste.
  • Options
    Not to beat a dead horse, but these doors are made in "The Netherlands."  Where is that exactly?  Is screen door re-cording taught in the grade schools so that all adults are skilled in this unbelievably frustrating activity?  Asking for a friend.  
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    The Netherlands is a European country on the North Sea, between Belgium and Germany.  Capital is Amsterdam.  Holland is one of the provinces.  Had an amazing time there once cruising the canals and biking with a friends boat.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    What a complete waste of time trying to repair the broken cord in my screen door.  Words cannot describe the frustration with the lack of available resources to assist with this most basic of repairs.  If your cord breaks on the screen door, pay anything to have a new one shipped to you COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED.  My God, what a Hot Mess this thing is. 

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I can feel your frustration, @Tabaz , so I'll consider myself duly warned.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    mjwaldnermjwaldner Member Posts: 44
    NuCamp referred me to http://transatlanticprod.com/ when I had a window shade string  break on my new Tab 400. They were very helpful. Sent me all the parts and info I needed to fix the problem. 
    2021 400 BD / 2019 Honda Passport Elite / Nashville, TN
  • Options
    I get an inactive website after clicking on that link.  But not a problem, this is indicative of the Bad Karma I've must have generated during several lifetimes on this planet.  After spending $173 for shipping charges for a "free" screen door - only to find it was eaten by rodents while in storage, AND countless hours attempting to discern the intricate formula for the oh, so cleverly designed string configuration, I capitulated and spent another $271 for a new screen door from a local dealer.  Upon reflection of past sins, discretions and all out crimes committed, I fear the new door will be for a T@B 400 and not my humble and aging 320.
  • Options
    PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    edited June 2021
    My screen door strings have separated from the frame but the door still works. When it stops working I plan to replace it with a custom size magnetic screen door:

https://www.magzo.com/collections/customized-product/products/the-custom-magnetic-screen-door?variant=33167991144525

Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    edited June 2021
    @Tabaz - we use the Magzo on a door leading to our deck.  (30 x 80 = $22). The magnets work well and the screening material is heavy duty.  I can wipe down the screen without worry about tearing.  The top and sides have velcro.  The only problem is when the sides fit securely, it limits how far apart you can move the panels apart.  My DH suggested to try this:  get a cheap version that is twice the size of the TaB door.  Cut the top trim and use 1 panel.  It may give you fuller door access.  Add some magnets to the outside panel edge and the sides of the TaB door.  Both panel edges will then move to allow entry/exit.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.  Will go with the magnetic version if the new stock door ever fails.  Should be here July 9th.
  • Options
    PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    edited June 2021
    For what it's worth the magnetic closure can be offset if desired. I had asked them if I could get a left-side entry to accommodate the right-hinged door on the T@B. Here are the emailed Magzo ordering instructions for a side entry:->

"Dear customer,
    Thanks for your contact, yes you can left side open, plz input your actual width and height to order ,then take a note in your order: how many inches would you want to open in the left side ?

hope to can help you "
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• Options
    Thoughtful, considerate and caring responses by wonderful people like you make this forum so helpful and unique.  Thanks again.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    My turn...

On my last excursion, the screen door suddenly started sticking in the closed position. Shortly thereafter, the top string broke. On the upside, the door again slides without binding, but without the string the screen doesn't always accordion neatly into the channel when being slid open.

Not one to back down from a challenge, I'll pull the door after I winterize next month, and spend some time tinkering with it over the winter. I'm not real optimistic given @Tabaz's experience, I am a patient and tenacious sort so who knows. I'll report any great revelations.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    "I am a patient and tenacious sort so who knows."  Napoleon Bonaparte on the eve of the battle of Waterloo
  • Options
    LisamorrisetteLisamorrisette Member Posts: 44
    Has anyone repaired a small tear in their door? A bad 🥹gave it a paw touch. I also noted the window screen top has started to become detached from the top—thinking glue?
    Furbug 2014 T@B S - TV Toyota RAV