Options

Using extension cord for shore power

Any advise about using a heavy duty extension cord for a long reach to shore power?   ie: plugging into standard trailer cord to reach a 120 outlet.

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    For anything greater than 20-feet, you need a heavy gauge contractors type ext cord, look for a cable with 10 or 12 gauge wire (I use a no 10 gauge Yellow Jacket cables) in a weather proof cover and sealed ends, that is 20-amp rated.  This is good for up to a 50-foot run, a longer run will required a 8-gauge wire.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I use a 100 ft. 12-3 and have no voltage drop issues even when I run the AC. I am using the Progressive Industries hardwired EMS Surge Protector and can monitor the voltage under load etc. and it never complains (IE shuts down). If I were going to run the Alde on electric, the AC, and think about the microwave, yes a heavier cord would be a must but for powering the camper in my back yard the 12-3 is fine.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    In my yard, I regularly extend my regular RV cord with a 75' 12 gauge extension cord to reach a 20 amp outlet. I'm able to run both the Alde electric heaters with this set-up. If you add the A/C and other devices to this mix you are probably going to exceed the amperage rating of your outlet anyway (which will in turn trip the breaker in your house).
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    I just use a 30 amp RV extension cord if needed. 

Jeannie 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    gullystravelsgullystravels Member Posts: 27
    thanks for all the helpful advice