Options

Hot water Heater, Shore Power vs Generator vs Propane

I have a 2020 T@b 400 BDL.  When I am connected to shore power I have nice hot water, with just propane selected (no shore power) the water is sort of luke warm.  With my Champion 2500 Watt generator the water is barely above room temperature.  

Propane selected on the control panel, Propane tank is full with good flame on the stove burners.  

With the generator you can hear the hot water heater running and the generator picking up the load but no real hot water.  Is this to small a generator?

Is this normal for the three different ways to heat water?

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited April 2021
    We also have a 2020 400 BDL and as you  mentioned there are multiple ways to provide Alde heat and hot water.

1. You can use either 1 KW or 2 KW electric
    2. You can use Propane
    3. You can use them together

There are multiple ways to set this up on the control panel along with a "prioritization" selection which sets the preferred.

In addition to this, there is a mixing valve behind the small panel on the street side in the rear. This mixing valve allows you to control "how hot" the water is at the faucets. It is there for protection, as you can easily get the water to 170 degrees F which will burn you pretty quickly. I have ours too high and need to adjust it back down.

Also, via the Alde panel you can enter into the service menu. One of those options will display the glycol and water temp.

I have used both electric and propane and never had issues. When I use our generator (3500 watt) it is never to heat water because the propane has the highest BTU and will heat the water and glycol the fastest. In fact the only time I use electric is if I a at full service campground which is rarely ever. 

Have you reviewed the operation manual of the Alde to become familiar with it? 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Jbreunig Please check out this thread and Bayliss’s post May 2019 especially.  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5018/no-hot-water-at-kitchen-sink-bathroom-sink-had-hot-water#latest

Most water temperature issues are solved by adjusting the mixing valve first.  Other factors include ambient temperatures, actual water temperature to start with, length of time waited for heating to occur and selected fuel sources.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Manuals 
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited April 2021
    Set the Alde to propane on the front control panel, and turn off the electric heater (unselect the 1KW/2KW setting).  Wait about five minuets and check the Alde exhaust on the side of the trailer, you should feel heat and smell a little propane smell coming out the vent.  This indicates the propane burner is working.   Propane heats the Alde faster than the shore power electric settings.  Make sure you have the day/night auto setting turned off on the control panel.  

The only way I can see yiu not getting hot water when on propane setting, is the gas bottle,is not turned on, or the Alde gas burner is not working correctly.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    JbreunigJbreunig Member Posts: 25
    Thank you everyone.  After making adjustments per your comments on the Alde panel and resetting the mixing value (back out screw and adjusted the knob) I now have great hot water both from shore power and propane.  thanks for all the help.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Glad you got it sorted.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.