Options

Lagun Table install for 2021 Tab 400

GeoMontanaGeoMontana Member Posts: 5
edited April 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hi -

We recently upgraded from a Tab 320 S and really missed the Lagun table.  I got inspired by Verna and wanted to do the same install for our 2021 Tab 400.  I used the same method but did some changes to Verna's design to fit the footboard that is on the floor on the 2021 Tab 400s.  

(Verna's original post - T@B Forum | nuCamp RV)

I purchased a Lagun table bracket, arm, and mounting kit directly from Lagun (Standard Lagun Table System (With Hardware) + Extra Bracket w/ (lagunusa.com)).  I purchased two 28" Gladiator Hardwood worktops from Home Depot (Gladiator 28 in. W Hardwood Worktop for Ready to Assemble Garage Cabinets-GAAC28HWGX - The Home Depot).  I used one worktop for the box and the other for the table.  

I am not a woodworker but I do have a 10" table saw and a 10" miter saw that I used to cut the wood.  Since I don't have a scroll saw, I used a finishing saw and coping saw to hand cut the notch for the floorboard (as you can see....).  I did a lot of measuring to get the distance out from the wall panel, the angle of the floor, and the notch.  Be careful on how you cut out the wood from the worktop.   You may want to purchase three tops just in case you want to change the direction of the wood or overlap the front portion of the box. I made a cardboard template to find and fit the notch and angle of the floor.  That really helped and is recommended to check the measurements.  Each trailer will be slightly different so measure four times and cut once!  

Below are pictures of the box with measurements. 

Side view of the box 

Width of the board is 7" - I tried to fit is so it the edge of the board would match the floorboard. 

Detail on the angle to match the slant of the floor.  The start of the slant is about 2" vertically from the bottom of the notch.

Height of the panels are about 13 1/8" from the notch.  I cut the width first and then the slant.  I then hand cut the notch. I cut the top after the first cuts that so the top piece would be flush with the top of the bench area.  

I made the inside board width between the two sides - 5". 

I put on a bottom piece is so that I could attach the box to the floorboard. 

Here is the box installed before the front and top are put on.  There is a middle screw on the floorboard installed by the factory so I simply moved it over to the left out of the way.  I attached the bottom piece to the floorboard and then put six screws on the back piece into the back wall.  I made sure to use shorter screws that would not go all the way through the board on the wall. 

I did glue the sides to the bottom and back along with attaching them with longer screws.  To preserve access I did not glue the front panel or the top onto the box.  

Front panel and top panel attached to the box.  I did have to use two shims to get the bracket to be straight up and down.  The top of the box is flush with the top of the bench area.  Because the box is sitting on the notch and is attached to floorboard, it seem very solid and doesn't pull on the back wall at all. 

Lagun arms attached.

Because of the distance - I offset the bracket so that I could swing the table closer to the wall. 

The key bit for using a 7" inch depth for the box and the bracket offset is that when the table is turned around, it misses the wall and old table bracket by 1/2". 

The whole project took me about 6 hours.  

Next project is to figure out how Verna did the slats for the bed.

Happy Camping!

GeoMontana
2021 T@B 400 Boondock
Towed by a 2020 Toyota Highlander Platinum 

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited April 2021
    Great job, @GeoMontana!  At least you had tools other than a 20V circular saw and jigsaw👍

Actually, I cut the slats using a manual saw and miter box. I already had some white oak slats that I never used for an outside swing, so they worked well for the slats. Be sure to number the slats if you make them as I did. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    OddthomasOddthomas Member Posts: 1
    Just ordered the materials for the install!  My only question is:  what is the distance from the floor to the bottom of the lagun bracket?  I am by no means a handy man!!  Need all the help I can get!  Thanks!
  • Options
    @Oddthomas, I attached the Lagun bracket to the “leg” and top bracket, put a piece of 3/4” wood on top of the top bracket, and moved the entire table simulation around to see what height the table needed to be. I marked where the bottom bracket needed to be to give the most support to the table and to be steady. I knew I needed to be able to raise or lower the table, so I gave myself leeway for both heights. That’s the best advice I can give you from me performing this mod over two years ago. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited May 2021
    @GeoMontana, nice job.  You do know the front Cover top and front are only held in place by the two screws, one on each side of the front, and is not structural.  It is just a cover for the Alde heater unit, and the wiring behind it.  You can remove the panel by pulling the screw cover caps, one on each side of the cover.  

You can see the top and front come off together, this is a 2018 TaB, but the newer models are the same, with the added front floor covering strip on the 2021.

I considered doing Verna’s mod also, already had a Lagun bracket setup from another project.  But after reviewing how the front Alde cover is installed, not structural, I got the new 2021 TaB400 lighter table top instead.   I also did not want to block the front air return slot under this cover with the large floor block, which is using the floor connection to hold the table weight.  Since the 2021 has a ply subfloor this works better than the original TaB 400 Azdel composite only floor.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    If you note on my Lagun table install in my former T@B 400, there is space at the bottom sides of my wooden mount to allow intake of air, plus most of the slot used for air intake is not closed off. Therefore, no worry about blocking air intake at the floor level. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Hi -

@Oddthomas - the measurement from the floor to the bottom of the Lagun bracket is 4".  I would raise it up by an inch or so to give more room for the table leg to fit into the bracket. I simply put it in the middle of the front plate and luckily it worked.  Dry fitting it like @Verna mention before you drill the holes for the bracket would make sure you can put the table at the right height for your needs.

@Denny16  - Thanks for the information.  I originally had the thought to put in a 2x4 against the back cover (like the support in a 320) and took off the seat covers and disconnected the front and top part of the cover.  I quickly realized that the Alde radiator was attached to it plus a bunch of wires run into that same place.  In the 2021 there are a couple of more screws that hold the top cover in place. 

I did not want to completely rely on the 1/4' plywood of the cover is why I changed Verna's design to fit the 2021 floorboard.  The notch at the bottom that fits on the board plus having the base screwed to it gives stability to the entire box.  Getting the slanted part of the box to rest on the angle of the floor also give torsional stability to front/back motion.  The slightly wider and deeper box makes it more reliant on the attachment to the floor plus the slant than the attachment to the cover.  The screws to the cover are basically there to help keep the box in place and provide a bit of side to side stability.  So... the box is not relying on the cover to provide the majority of the structural stability.   

For the air vent... I really didn't consider it since the system is relying on passive air flow and there are additional radiators in the front portion of the trailer.  I didn't think the passive air flow would really be affected by blocking off the 6 inches of the air vent slot.  If someone was concerned they could adjust the back and front plate with slots for air flow.  I was more concerned with losing something under the table that would bounce into that area and I would have to take it apart to find it.  Also my dog laying under the table actually may be a bigger blocker of air flow than the table mount.  :-)   We had a real world test of the heating system and the table mount this weekend as we went camping at Placid Lake State Park (Placid Lake State Park | Montana FWP (mt.gov)) in a spring snow storm.  The Alde system worked fine and kept us toasty warm. 

@Verna - I did install slats and cleats for them however I am not happy with how the slats get spaced out.  The slats are arranged like the slats in a 320 but I don't yet have a good method yet of keeping them in place and make them easy to install.  (I am thinking about something with Velcro...)  I will post pictures and instructions when I get the method to space the slats figured out. 

GeoMontana
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock

• Options
    @GeoMontana, have you considered using the webbing from ratchet straps?  I used small screws to screw the webbing to the underside of the slats in the order they would lie in place. When stored, I put them under the driver’s side cushion and they all fit.  It made the seat 3/4” higher, but it was fine. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    Oddthomas said:
    Just ordered the materials for the install!  My only question is:  what is the distance from the floor to the bottom of the lagun bracket?  I am by no means a handy man!!  Need all the help I can get!  Thanks!
    On my installation the bracket is 5.5" from the floor, similar to what @GeoMontana suggests.

Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    @Verna - The current install is using NRS straps (NRS Straps: Born on the River, Ready for Whatever), staples, and arranged like the 320 slats.  I have spaces between the slats unlike your example.  My boards are 3/4" x 3.5" oak and only a single layer.  I wanted the 3/4" for additional strength and I didn't want to do two layers like you did.  Sliding the boards in and keeping them together is a pain...  
    GeoMontana
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock

• Options
    Why can't you just attach the lagun mount directly to the existing wall box area? I know there are wires back there but if you take a look and be sure to avoid the wires,  can't you just mount it directly there? I mean why do you need to build out that extra box?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    edited October 2021
    @TabbyShack -  to allow the table to extend across the dinette and pivot without hitting the wall.

Verna’s original post stated:  “ Because I needed 18” from the wall so the table would move completely around…”
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Cheryl13Cheryl13 Member Posts: 30
    Have to do this.  We hate the table with the 2021 T@B
    2021 T@B 400
    2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    @TabbyShack, the front panel over the Alde convectors on a TaB400 is only 1/8th plywood, not structurally strong enough to hold a Lagun table bracket.  On the installs shown here, the box brings thr bracket out to meet the swivel requirements and transfer the weight and stress to the floor, not the front panel.

@Cheryl13 don’t you have the new lighter TaB400 table?  I had the oOder plywood base tsble, thst was heavy to deal with moving it up and down.  We got the new 2021 molded table, which is much lighter than the original TaB400 tsble.  The heavy weight of the original  table made it awkward to try and move from one position to the next, as you need to lift it up to unhook the bracket.

The trick I discovered to easily move the 2021 table, is to make sure  the latches are released, move the seat cushions up away from the table edge, and lift up,at an angle.  The table comes right off the bracket.  Getting the seat cushion out of the way makes the process a lot easier, and very manageable.  
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    I have a T@B400 and don't like the dining table. I was inspired by those on this thread that installed Lagun legs and tops. I bought my Lagun leg from the manufacturer. Since I live full-time in my T@B  I don't have wood working tools nor the talent so I ordered pre-finished, pre-cut wood from Home Depot. I reinforced the existing cabinetry at the foot of the dining area and attached the Lagun legs as shown in the photos. I am pleased with the results. Much more flexible setup and 9 pounds lighter than the factory table. Note, I installed one of the rail-clips to the table to provide extra support when I am towing. Also, a note of caution. I used wood screws both to reinforce existing cabinetry and to attached the Lagun leg. Be careful with screw lengths and placement. There are lots of wires, Alde hoses and ductwork within the cabinet and attached to the inside front wall of the cabinet.  
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Nice job!  We find that the Lagun is immobile when tightened down, but the rail clip is an added bonus and should add more stability when you use the table.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    edited January 2022
    What are the dimensions of the table top, and would you go larger, smaller or a different shape if you did it again?  Also, I see the leg is off-center - is this a calculated off set or just what seemed right.  We are, obviously, thinking about adding one.  Thanks.
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    edited February 2022
    The table top is 24" by 19". As a solo camper I feel it is just the right size. I can use it comfortably from either bench seat by moving in into a new position. If you want two people to use it at the same time it needs to be bigger. The factory table was too big for me, I felt it was in the way and also very heavy. Also, I no longer bang my legs on the table leg. I placed the leg in a position that gave me comfortable access from either bench and also enabled me to use the clip to secure it to the rail when it's under tow.
    @Sharon_is_SAM I find the table to be stable too and I don't tighten the two upper clamps when I use the table. That way it easily and quickly swings out of the way when I get up or need the space for something else. 
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    Thanks Jim!
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,283
    edited February 2022
    RMo said:
    What are the dimensions of the table top ....
    The author of this thread used this top which is .75 x 17.75 x 27.75.
    The smaller table is more than half the price, but the actual reason I went with it was that I thought the size would work better in my 320S. It was a winter project, so haven't given it a real life test, but so far really happy with it both cosmetically and functionally.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @jimcenname nice job. Following your lead, I pulled the box that I had built like Verna’s (only uglier) and used the second board like you did. I gave us much more floor space under the table.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI