Options

Solar Gurus - my brain is mush from researching

Debating which portable solar panel kit I want. Was thinking Renogy 100w but then Zamp 120w or 160w is now in my mind. In addition found a 150w from another company who adds an MPPT controller (all others use the PWM controllers). More $$ but supposedly MPPT maximizes usable energy. The new Zamp controllers are now waterproof (plus) and come with the correct plug to connect to the T@B. So do those with T@Bs think it's worth the expense to a) go with a higher watt system (I plan on boondocking as much as I can) and b) are the MPPT controllers worth it? If this helps, my dealer will be installing a 29 group battery.
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Michele, you haven't told us the most important thing: what are you hoping to accomplish? Are you wanting to mostly charge your phone and run the lights or do you want to be able to watch TV and use the fan?

A guy on FB reported that the Renogy briefcase models are now shipping with the correct connectors for the T@b, too.

The MPPT controllers are significantly more efficient, but if your intended use is occasionally boondocking and just the basics, it might be worth the return on investment. @PXLatedhas kept his outfit going most of the time with the Zamp set up. Whatever you do, you more than likely want to go higher than 120 watts.

It also might make sense to start with a set up to which you can add later, depending on what your needs are.

I had 200 watts of the solid Renogy panels. They were just too much bulk for me. Right now, I have 100 watts of Goal Zero panels and am still undecided about which way to move forward. I am leaning towards the flexible Renogy panels. The MPPT controller will be a must if I ever go FT.

I think I would start by revising your battery, instead and go with 2 golf cart batteries. That's just my take, but it seems as though your whole set up will provide more value with the right battery from the start.  You can probably go with less solar with the right battery set up, depending on the length of your boondocking.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jenn nails it - All depends on what you plan on doing and what you want to power. I'm full-time and have the Zamp-120 and just the standard 24 battery. I live off solar most the time but I'm not trying to run a bunch of high-drain items. My typical day is charge all my devices - camera batteries, iPad, iPhone, computer via inverter (elect. shavers, clippers, etc as needed) - fridge is usually on propane but still takes juice - Alde heat at night as needed - Alde hot water always. - the small back lights at night. Rarely use the fan unless during the day with active solar. I also have a generator for the heavy overcast days or when I'm photo editing and need to charge the computer quickly (takes awhile through an inverter which is fine unless I need to use the computer all day).
    So, need more info to actually make recommendation. I choose the plug-n-play Zamp because I didn't want to mess with too much.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Michele, I intend to camp every winter in the Southwest, so I'm planning on not running out of power. I'm probably overdoing it, but I have ordered a Zamp 200 watt suitcase. I will have two Interstate 6-volt 264 ah golf cart batteries. I will also have a 500 watt inverter so I'll be able to charge my laptop. And I hope to not miss any IU men's basketball games this winter because I ran out of power ;)

i started adding  up what I would need to make a Renogy 200 watt suitcase. By the time I was done, I was so close to the cost of the Zamp, that it didn't make sense for me to have to make a suitcase if I could have one already made, and just plug and play. And, part of this price was including purchasing a Zamp waterproof controller. 

My opinion, others may vary. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I would probably have gotten a slightly larger wattage Zamp but the 120 was the biggest at the time. A larger battery would have been nice - I ordered it but the dealer didn't install. But, I don't think I'd go the really heavy duty solar route that would allow more AC appliances and running the air - The generator is more versatile for that - To me anyway.
  • Options
    I won't be able to use the A/C, but I will be able to use the Fantastic a Fan as much as I want, plus I do have the upgrade kit that reduces the voltage needed to run the Fantastic Fan.  I actually have used the A/C very rarely. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I need to get that kit - The fan's a big drainer.
  • Options
    Me, too, PX, but probably will be a winter upgrade.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Thank each and every one of you for your input. Jenn - you asked if I would be occasionally boondocking. Since I'll be full time I hope to mix up dry camping w/hook-ups perhaps about 50-50. I realize I won't be able to run the A/C but my goal would be similar to PXL's usage (use lights, but will also use battery operated or solar lantern sometimes as well, charge my phone and kindle but also watch tv from time to time. Verna - I'll also hope not to miss some of our UofA Wildcat basketball games)! The upgrade kit to the fan sounds like something that would benefit me as well - where does one get that upgrade kit? I also have a small battery operated one I could use a little bit.  Speaking of the battery, would the group 29 I'm getting be a match (lack of a better word) for the larger wattage solar panels? The company that has the 150w and MMPT controller said it's important the controller be as close to the battery as possible so he doesn't put them on the back of the solar unit - hmmmm. Again, thanks for your responses.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Michele, that helps. I am also looking into going FT and would need to work from my T@b, which requires me being on a PC all day. Here is what I am currently thinking I will do:

2 Golf cart batteries
    Minimum 300 watts of solar for the T@b
    90 watts of solar for GZ devices
    Fan upgrade
    Replace light over kitchen sink - draws a lot more power.

I believe this is the right fan upgrade, but truthfully have to do more research.

I wouldn't look at launching going FT until next summer, so I have some time. Perhaps by then lithium batteries will come down in price.

• Options

Here's the link to the upgrade kit:   http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027XIFA0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3EXRSICYWYKEV&coliid=I19B7MK2BYZN3Z#productDetails

Here's the link to the Little Guy forum concerning the upgrade kit.  There is also another discussion concerning the upgrade kit.

http://www.golittleguy.com/forum#/discussion/comment/40968

You're welcome, Michele.  

I admit to not have the knowledge "down pat" to equate the "group numbers" of batteries to the amp hours (AH) of the batteries I've used.  I do know that you should have more amp hours than you have solar panel wattage--that's the simpliest I can explain. 

Here's hoping that Lisa33 will chime in with her extensive knowledge of solar products. 

Lisa33 does have her controller close to her batteries, that I do know.  Mine will have about a 15' cord from the Zamp solar panel to the batteries, and the controller will be attached to the rear of the solar panel.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @Verna - do you know if the T@b and the other LG units have the same Fantastic Fans? In the thread it references a 3 speed fan and the T@b has 5, IIRC. I checked but couldn't find the model number and that is the one product manual I did not receive.

• Options
    Also, here is a table to compare the options I created about a year ago. It is probably a little out of date, but not much has changed that dramatically.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1204CB255C38A39D!139311&authkey=!ALdtWtLKDa0iyss&ithint=file,pdf

• Options

Jenn, the Fantastic Fans I am familiar with (as in, those in the Little Guys) are 3 speed reversible fans. I am unaware of the T@B having a different Fantastic Fan than those installed in the Little Guy teardrops.  Do you have time to check for me? 

I may have an upgrade kit that I'll need to get rid of if they're not compatible. "Teardropinit" on the Little Guy forum had a lot of long technical conversations with the Fantastic Fan tech support people and I could see me having a few long conversations, also, to save myself the $150 + tax.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @Vernathere is nothing on the fan that indicates the model number, but the website does say T@bs come with three speed reversible fans.

• Options

Good, I'll be able to use it....one of these days.....

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I think you have to "get up into the fan" to see the model number.  As I understand it, if you have a vent cover, you just have to reach inside to do something simple, as most of the work on the upgrade is done from the inside.  That will make it a lot easier on a T@B, except for needing to do whatever it is from the top. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    And, don't bother getting the model number.  If it is the 3 speed reversible model, it will take the upgrade, as I recall from all of the conversations.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    To confirm. My 2015 CSS has the 3 speed fantastic fan. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    Thanks, Norm.  Since you boondock so much, I'll be sure to post my results when I get it installed.....when I have something to install it in......
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited August 2015

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Verna said:

You're welcome, Michele.  

I admit to not have the knowledge "down pat" to equate the "group numbers" of batteries to the amp hours (AH) of the batteries I've used.  I do know that you should have more amp hours than you have solar panel wattage--that's the simpliest I can explain. 

Here's hoping that Lisa33 will chime in with her extensive knowledge of solar products. 

Lisa33 does have her controller close to her batteries, that I do know.  Mine will have about a 15' cord from the Zamp solar panel to the batteries, and the controller will be attached to the rear of the solar panel.

Verna - if one has to have a battery with more amp hours than solar watts then a Group 29 (which I believe is about 125ah?) wouldn't work if I wanted to get a higher watt solar set up. Hoping Lisa33 will send her thoughts as well. I may need to make a change and ask for 2 batteries from the dealer.

• Options
    NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    I went to the only local Zamp dealer yesterday.  They have nothing in stock and don't know when they will; also didn't know anything about the new roll up panels. Does anyone have info on that? 
    2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
    Paulo Coelho
  • Options
    Zamp roll ups? Hmmmmm.
    Seems I recall reading here somewhere that flex panels aren't as efficient as the glass.
  • Options
    Zamp's are on back order until the end of August per Little Guy WorldWide. I've never seen anything about Zamp having flexible panel. They specialize in top of the line products. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    edited August 2015
    n the battery, you can hook up 2 6 volts in series (they act as a single battery), or you could use 12 volts wired in parallel.  Thus, if you get golf cart batteries that are 6 volt 265 amp, you add the voltage and keep the amps the same (you end up with a 12 volt 265 amp battery set).  If you use 12v batteries, you wire in parallel, and the voltage stays the same and the amps are additive.  As I've said elsewhere, with a 12 v battery, you can double up in parallel .  I ended up choosing 12 v because I wanted AGM.

I concur that you might want to consider starting out with basic system and add as you feel the need for additional power. 

I would assume minimum battery if you are full time.  While plated has gotten by with small battery power, it seems prudent to consider your needs... the 6 v approach requires an immediate commitment to about 225-260 watts with a second battery stored somewhere outside the vehicle (presumably on the tongue in front of the propane cover.  You can supplementally add panels if they are the same (watch for changes solar technology that might impact your choices).  As I recall, the amp rating of the panels and the VDC of the panels must match to add additional panels in parallel.

Decide how much you want to commit initially (may be all of it)...and move forward accordingly.

• Options
    NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    They call it "Flexi Flat" it looks like a hybrid http://www.zampsolar.com/rv-solar-kits/
    I'd really like "once and done" am dry camping again this week. 
    2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
    Paulo Coelho
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2019
    96V. Sounds intriguing. 

Right now my 24V is @ 3½'x3½'

What size panels would be needed for 96V?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Have you looked at the Renogy website tutorials?  Last time I looked they were very informative.  Another site to “get smart” with is emarineinc.com.  Yes it’s marine related but very informative and their customer service is great.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    ChanW said:
    96V. Sounds intriguing. 

Right now my 24V is @ 3½'x3½'

What size panels would be needed for 96V?
    Something like 3.5’ by 6’.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    You are going to shell out a lot of money for a solar controller that will convert 96v to 12v.