Options

Solar Gurus - my brain is mush from researching

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ok, I'm baffled. Where did the original post re 96V panels go?

I'm sure I was replying to someone who recommended 96V using home-type panels, for efficiency and economy, but that post has disappeared... 

But that person's post did nudge me to research the idea a little. Interesting how info on the web about DIY panels for an RV are much more prevalent than DIY for a home. 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    Sorry @ChanW, sometimes posts try to appear to be conversational, but, end up being promotional.  

So, what did you find out about the 96 v panels?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The main thing I learned was that the home solar industry has matured enough that it's hard to find suppliers that cater to DIY-type folks. The search results are 99% 'installers' rather than suppliers. 

So I didn't learn much, other than an inspiring video made by a guy who swears by installing it yourself to pay ⅓ the price for installation.

Now if only I lived in southern California, where the sun always shines! 

Still open to it, seeing so many local residential setups around us. Also considering a local co-operative solar 'farm' that recently moved into the neighborhood, which pipes it into the grid, so one would simply specify that supplier for one's electricity.

I still do like the idea of having our own panels, with the potential to make money when we produce too much to use ourselves. Seems to make more sense, decentralized and all.
    Sorry @ChanW, sometimes posts try to appear to be conversational, but, end up being promotional.  

So, what did you find out about the 96 v panels?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @ChanW selling back is a pipe dream.   You would need a very large roof or yard to have an array to power your house with enough surplus to sell back.  

Without knowing your habits.....8-10kw worth of panels would be a reasonable guess.   It takes much more than you think
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155

jkjenn said:
    You are going to shell out a lot of money for a solar controller that will convert 96v to 12v. 

$75
    https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Rover-Amp-12V-24V/dp/B07DNW1755

Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    Well, is 15 acres enough to start?  :D

And our 'habits' are pretty unconventional... Likely our habits would surprise you, but that would be TMI!  =)

Cbusguy said:
    @ChanW selling back is a pipe dream.   You would need a very large roof or yard to have an array to power your house with enough surplus to sell back.  

Without knowing your habits.....8-10kw worth of panels would be a reasonable guess.   It takes much more than you think

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya