Overheat Red fail

At 4500 altitude, followed instructions for high altitude, restart control panel. System ran overnight., then alert happened.
2020 320 s, boondock. Total trips since new..22, times of use. Previous to this trip, dealer said not necessary to check or change glycol.
Lost and confused.
2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    From the Alde 3020 manual:  (Good thing to take with you.)

Overheat red fail: Overheat (red cable). Bleed the system of air. Check the fluid level in the expansion tank. It should be approx. 0.5 in (1 cm) above the Min mark when cool. Check that the circulation pump is responding. Wait 15 mins for the fluid to cool down. This fault can arise if the hydronic heating system is run at high power at the same time as there are air pockets in the heating system; the hydronic heating system should then be vented properly. If the fault reoccurs, contact a dealer.

Check your glycol level first.  If it is ok, you may have air in the Alde glycol lines.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    With an exactly one year old (bought new ) 320, and only 22 night of use, why should I be having this problem?
    Glycol checked and at Max level, no leaks. How does air get in the glycol lines?

Was it heating without problem?  What is your glycol pump manually set at?  It should be about 1 - 1.5.  If it is set too high it can cause churning.  Make sure your Alde vent is free of bugs/mud dauber causing obstruction.  

You can try to bleed more air from the glycol by turning the glycol pump up to 5 and putting the tongue down (encourages air to go to the higher point which should be the air bleeder.

If air is evacuated, the glycol level will drop in the tank.

The ALDE was off from the time we left our camp until we stopped 3 hours later.
    The first sign anything was wrong was the carbon monoxide alarm. We checked all systems where we we saw the Red Alert. We were boondocking, no shore power. We had turned it off when we left 3 hours before. We did a factory reset, turned off the propane, red alert was still showing. 
    Please check the Alde vent.  If the CO/LPG alarm sounded, it sounds like the Alde was not venting properly.
    How does one find exactly where that vent located?
    Never mind, found it. It is not blocked in any way.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    If the error message hasn't cleared, the old "reset the 12V" procedure might work to clear it and get back to business.  But, there seems to be a bit more happening here, so I hope this works out for you.  What is the condition of your battery state of charge? 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    13.50V, did the reset.  
  • PTomPTom Member Posts: 5
    I just posted a separate question, not finding this thread until now.
    Is it SAFE to run the a/c and sleep overnight with the OVERHEAT RED FAIL light blinking?

The error messages from the Alde are mysterious and vague. They clear by themselves most times with that simple trick of "turn off the battery switch and leave it off for a minute". 
    The only thing that would prevent me from sleeping in the trailer would be the gas alarm. 

2017 Outback
    You need to pull out the 12V connection to the Alde unit for about 10 seconds, then plug back in.

• ncarbsncarbs Member Posts: 10
    Having the same issue with the error code. HELLPPPP!. Where is the 12V connection to the Alde located on the Tab 400 Boondock Solo?  Where are the bleeder valves? New to all of this.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    The Alde boiler and ll the plumbing and electrical connections for thr Alde, are under your bunk on the driver’s side of the TaB.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Hello!  The remedy of unplugging electricity and turning off the battery for 20 seconds worked!  New 2021 Tab 400 Boondock only used Alde on 1 trip. When we turned it on in the driveway the red overheat alert came on.  THANKS to all of the comments on a couple different messages, the simple remedy corrected the problem. What a great forum!  Thanks!
    And:  Welcome to the Forums!
    2017 Outback
  • MTFLYMTFLY Member Posts: 22
    I had that error today in what’s going to be a very cold night off grid. Was at Wilderness Adventure near New Castle Va with no cell phone signal. So when I was out their the alde booklets were no help giving general information. Long story short when I got home to  Roanoke my nuCamper friend walked me through troubleshooting my 2022 400 BD. See my pics for compartment under head of bed. Ended up unplugging and replugging the two pumps that create the flow for the glycol. I then turned the little red arrow knobs on both pumps to 5 and put alde panel settings to constant flow vs temp controlled. Ran for 20 minutes. Turned the little Aries back to 2. And oh they are tiny arrow knobs and hard to see the numbers. I didn’t have to do all that with flow control valves set to 5 but wanted to make sure there was no air trapped in the lines. Just unplugging and replugging the glycol pumps from under the black alde panel is all I had to do to make the warning ⚠️ overheat red fail to go away and for the glycol pumps to start running again. 
    Finley ~
    2021 Ram Bighorn North Edition “MTFLY” 
    2022 Tab 400BD “Honey Pot”
    ”Honey attracts more flies than vinegar”
  • mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    MTFLY said:
    I had that error today in what’s going to be a very cold night off grid. Was at Wilderness Adventure near New Castle Va with no cell phone signal. So when I was out their the alde booklets were no help giving general information. Long story short when I got home to  Roanoke my nuCamper friend walked me through troubleshooting my 2022 400 BD. See my pics for compartment under head of bed. Ended up unplugging and replugging the two pumps that create the flow for the glycol. I then turned the little red arrow knobs on both pumps to 5 and put alde panel settings to constant flow vs temp controlled. Ran for 20 minutes. Turned the little Aries back to 2. And oh they are tiny arrow knobs and hard to see the numbers. I didn’t have to do all that with flow control valves set to 5 but wanted to make sure there was no air trapped in the lines. Just unplugging and replugging the glycol pumps from under the black alde panel is all I had to do to make the warning ⚠️ overheat red fail to go away and for the glycol pumps to start running again. 
    See this from Nucamp.

Red Overheat Fail : Nucamp RV (freshdesk.com)
  • sandystab400sandystab400 Member Posts: 9
    Had the same issue after our Tab 400 had no power for a bit. Tried the unplug shore power and cut the battery for 30 seconds and the Alde reset. Thanks for the fix. Now I have to figure out why the battery drained with factory solar panels getting seemingly lots of sun
    Valerie and Sandy
    2022 Tab 400BD
    2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    Redding and Pacific Grove Ca.
    @sandystab400 - make sure to turn off the Alde before disconnecting shorepower.  You want to avoid a surge that may lead to a blown fuse when you plug the TaB back into shorepower.