Options

When You Can't Get Away From it All

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Working from the T@b is a long term goal that I am pecking away at slowly, but surely. One of the biggest challenges I face is connectivity for both Internet and cellular. I need to be online, all day, every day that I am working. There are 2 scenarios that I need to prep for in order to go FT: connected via WiFi, whether it be a campground or a library, and connecting via the mobile hotspot on my phone.

I did a moderate amount of research and borrowed from the knowledge and experience of the Technomads and Gone with the Wynns.

Wi-Fi

My set up is partially complete. The Wifi Ranger is the mostly highly recommended set up by most Rvers. It is also a little more expensive. The second part is a Ubiquiti Nanostation M2 that I planned to mount to a flagpole. Truthfully, I was not planning to invest on Wifi CPE this year, but found a great deal on an open box item from Amazon, that did not appear to have been used at all, so I snagged it.

The Nanostation M2 was reported to have been difficult to set up. It really was not, difficult, at all, but if you do not the difference between a static and dynamic IP, it might be above your paygrade. But, it really is not complicated and if you are a little bit savvy, you can figure it out. I followed this Youtube tutorial and it went off almost without a hitch. I think he said the IP address incorrectly at one point, but I was able to figure it out fairly easily.

So, here is what my set-up entails:

• Ubiquiti Nanaostation M2 - this is a Wifi radio that repeats and strengthens an existing Wifi signal, like Wifi at an RV Park. This requires a/c power. This means that you will either shore power or another means such as an inverter to power the device. Theoretically, you could power over d/c power. The radio is powered via PoE (Power over Ethernet.)
  • Amazon Basics 25' Ethernet cable
  • Ubiquiti Air Gateway - essentially, a wireless router for your Nanostation. This allows you to connect to the Internet without a LAN (ethernet) cable. The Air Gateway plugs directly into the Nanostation PoE Adapter.
  • External mounting is optional, but I opted to utilize the Ubiquiti universal mounting bracket on a Flagpole to Go pole. I mount this in a clamp-on fishing rod holder. The fishing rod holder has holes in the bottom, so rain water drains easily.

I am giving this a test run at home and so far, so good. I notice some speed degradation, but I think that is fairly predictable, given my home WiFi has to go through several walls, including external brick. Line of sight is a key factor, regardless of which Wifi radio option you pick. In addition to mere connectivity, you create your own SSID, giving you more security.

So far, I am happy with this solution, but need to do a more in-depth testing to determine if it was worth the investment. Depending on the results of the test, I might not need the WiFiRanger.

Cellular

If you have traveled the Southwest, you know how spotty cell service is, away from cities. I need cell service for conference calls as well as for a back-up data hotspot. I picked up a Weboost 4G-S. The research I did on cellular boosters led me to make a decision now rather than later because it appears as though although new technology will be available soon, none of it offers a significant improvement and the prices for the current batch of devices seems to provide a better overall value. Weboost, formerly Wilson Electronics, has long been the favorite in the RV world in terms of RV boosters. I picked up a window mount for the antenna.

My local tests are not really great indicators of the performance of the Weboost, as cell service is fairly good in most areas of the east. Check back for an update later this fall.

I have some time to work out the bugs and am looking forward to a more rigorous test this fall.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2015
    Just a note on wifi - I've virtually given up on it as I travel - about the only places I've found speedy wifi is some libraries and most coffee shop chains. Most iHops have been pretty good also. Campground wifi and chains like McDonalds have been slow as molasses with or without a booster. I've found my Verizon 4G (LTE) to be as fast as any wifi I've encountered including libraries. Usually if I don't have a good cell connection I don't have wifi locations either. The only downside to cell is data plans are expensive so if I have large files to either upload or download I'll hit a library.

Edit-Add: Of course, all this depends on where you travel. What kind of camping you do. What kind of campgrounds you stay in.
  • Options
    McDonald's, Starbucks, and Walmart are usually good spots for WiFi. Microsoft is going to providing WiFi service at some point in the near future. I am guessing it could be tied to Office 365. They are going to be rebranding Skype WiFi, which I got free for a year. It seems pretty widely available. If the price is reasonable enough, it might be worth looking into when they launch.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    WiFi...
    McDonalds, really? Slow as molassis at every single one I've been at.
    Grocery stores with Starbucks inside aren't too bad.
    Most libraries leave their wifi on when they're closed so if you can get close, it works pretty well.
    Surprisingly, in smaller towns, one of the churches sometimes have open wifi.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    WiFi...
    McDonalds, really? Slow as molassis at every single one I've been at.
    Grocery stores with Starbucks inside aren't too bad.
    Most libraries leave their wifi on when they're closed so if you can get close, it works pretty well.
    Surprisingly, in smaller towns, one of the churches sometimes have open wifi.
    I have done pretty well at McDonald's, actually. I have noticed a lot of other restaurants offering it, too.

I think data plans are about to come down in price. Verizon announced it is dropping its phone subsidies, so I expect a data price war could be on the horizon.

• Options
    Medium/Big towns have restaurants with wifi - not much out in the hinterland - wifi is a lucky score once out and about. Want wifi out in a smaller town, need to check into the motel, maybe :-)

Listened to a techie podcast this last week and they were discussing wifi speeds vs 4G (LTE) and most felt their 4G was delivering speeds almost equal to their home connection. Right now I'm 40 miles from the nearest small town (guessing) in a small campground that's back off the road so far nobody is here and I can't imagine anyone showing up yet I have three bar cell and LTE data.

We'll see how much data comes down - they make so much money off data I can't imagine it'll be much - especially for the larger data plans like we need.
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    4g for me all the way... Had 30 gig plan... Verizon and ATT got into a 30 day price war last spring and ATT offered me 60 gigs at same price for life... 60 gigs ? Yes. Beats lugging wifi stuff around and searching for hotspots is a thing of the past...
  • Options
    Delta boy - How's the AT&T coverage? Verizon has been really good, strong LTE in 90% of the areas I've traveled this last year. Where I've not had it, I've had no signal at all, rarely anything in between. Have a WeBoost but to date hasn't been worth the investment. Also have a wifi extender but don't stay in RV parks (and since it requires AC) the only time I've used it is in my brothers driveways. Have hit small muni campsites that had WiFi (Aurora, NE for instance), but didn't need the booster.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have always found ATT uneven, particularly when I'm off the beaten track.  
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    I am grandfathered in Verizon's all I can eat data plan. If you cannot get a Verizon signal then there isn't a signal to be had!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    larrygon said:
    I am grandfathered in Verizon's all I can eat data plan. If you cannot get a Verizon signal then there isn't a signal to be had!
    I read they are going to start throttling the speed. I hope they get penalized or a court order stopping them.

• Options
    They haven't for me - And they better not for what they charge for a large data plan.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We originally had Verizon, then we got AT&T for driving to NM last spring. I was surprised that we got great reception all the way to Albuquerque (including the so-called dead area in NE NM - it was fine there too). 

Reception in the mountains was predictably on and off, but surprised me again with mostly ok.

AT&T fails at our home, however, and Verizon is just fine here, so Verizon wins, dammit. (I hate the huge Verizon bill we pay every month)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I was wrong... not throttle speeds... increase the cost of your bill. http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/08/technology/verizon-unlimited-plan-increase/index.html

• Options
    Won't affect me, I'm not on and old grandfathered plan.
  • Options
    ChanW - In extreme NE New Mexico (NE of Tucumcari 75 miles) I had nothing for about 120 miles - not even a radio station.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Won't affect me, I'm not on and old grandfathered plan.
    That is exactly who tent are targeting.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2015
    PXL, I remember you having said that, and I expected the worst. However, on the Interstate coming into NM from Amarillo TX (i40?), and going through Tucumcari, AT&T was good, or at least useable, for the whole way.

Surprised me. 

Although any time I went off the interstate for any distance, I lost signal. And it sounds like you're talking about the boonies, not the Interstate.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    PXL, I remember you having said that, and I expected the worst. However, on the Interstate coming into NM from Amarillo TX (i40?), and going through Tucumcari, AT&T was good, or at least useable, for the whole way.

Surprised me. 

Although any time I went off the interstate for any distance, I lost signal. And it sounds like you're talking about the boonies, not the Interstate.
    That's because that is pretty much flatland and you were along one of the 3 largest east to west corridors on I40. It's the backroads, mountains, and major rock formations that will get you.

• Options
    Along freeways, no matter where I've been, cell signals have been good - few dead spots but not many. The big dead spot I was in in northwest NM was on a highway that runs north/south along the Texas border - Clayton to Nara Vista. No cell, no radio. Nara Vista's an old Route 66 ghost town (mostly, still 4-5 residents though).
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    @jkjenn I know this is an old thread.. came here to say I like your setup.. I've gotten myself a WeBoost and was just not wanting to put holes in my camper so I opted for making my own pole out of some PVC pipe.. It stows neatly in my Tow Vehicle and I can set it up when I'm parked.

Got a Verizon JetPack for cellular.. still debating if I want to spend the money for a WiFiRanger.. It does seem like it might be useful. I wish I could test one out first before committing.

How is that Nano working out for you all this time later?

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    @jkjenn I know this is an old thread.. came here to say I like your setup.. I've gotten myself a WeBoost and was just not wanting to put holes in my camper so I opted for making my own pole out of some PVC pipe.. It stows neatly in my Tow Vehicle and I can set it up when I'm parked.

Got a Verizon JetPack for cellular.. still debating if I want to spend the money for a WiFiRanger.. It does seem like it might be useful. I wish I could test one out first before committing.

How is that Nano working out for you all this time later?

Since I mostly boondocks when I was using it FT it did not get as much use. It is nice when I am overnighting at a Walmart to pick up nearby wifi or when I am in the backyard and want to pick up the house wifi.