Mini AC - first test / update first real use

GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
As shown in my remodel 2020 post the mini AC I installed was tested this week in 90 degree temps. 
Buy Zero Breeze Mark 2-The Zero Breeze Store
It does not cool the 320 as much as hoped even though a small space. It does however remove the humidity wonderfully.
So @Tabaz this unit is not really suitable for temps above 90 but for our usage in the humid south east it is acceptable.

We are going to try another test when temps increase again adding a small fan to help circulate the air in the trailer.
@Tabnero, probably would not be adequate for Texas heat. 
Geo & Liz
T@BMahal
'04  #100

Comments

• MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    Thanks for providing this “field” test information.  I was hoping the Mark 2 would have been up to the task.  Did you actually take temperature readings before and after turning on the unit?  De-humidifying does improve comfort, allowing for natural evaporation of perspiration to provide some cooling and clearly a fan will help more.   I’m glad you got something out of your investment.  
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Thanks for the honest feedback Geo.  Still nice to look at your great cabinet work again.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @MadCityJack,  90* outside, 92* inside, after 2 hrs. lowered the inside temp to 80* but with the much lower humidity it did feel comfortable. The inside temp did not drop further until 6:00 PM as the outside temp was lowering, went to 76* when I turned it off.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    edited May 2021
    A noble effort and search.   How quiet is it? Did you try to run it on battery? 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
    @YanniLazarus, the unit is very quiet - approx. 40dbls.  I did not purchase the battery pack for it - only run it on the supplied 120VAC. 
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited June 2021
    @Geo I'm interested in just cooling a 30sq.ft. area on solar/batteries, but the Zero Breeze web page reads like there is only a water drainage tube and a hot exhaust vent. There's no fresh air intake tubing to the unit?

I only ask because without both intake and exhaust venting to the outside, any portable A/C creates a negative pressure and pulls in warm air into the space that you're trying to cool. You get much bigger differentials with the outside temperature if the two loops are independent, almost like a mini-split... but without the split.

OOOPS!  Never mind. Just read it has both.  Sorry.  Think I'll try one too.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

@DougH,  yes it does have a fresh air intake.  I utilized the original 3 way refer vent on my '04 for the intake.  Installed a heavy duty dryer vent for the exhaust.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
    First real use - 5 day outing, high humidity and temps in 90's.

Unit performed well, it did take the first overnight to make the T@B comfortable taking time to cool the interior and remove humidity.  Inside temps climbed to 80 during afternoon outside high temps, but cooled down with outside temps decreasing after sun down, so cool in fact that we turned the unit off in early AM as it was 68 inside.  The unit very effectually removed the humidity, a very important factor here in the southeast.

Very pleased with its performance - it does not fully keep up with temperature climb but does remove humidity and made for very comfortable sleeping.  
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Geo said:

Unit performed well, it did take the first overnight to make the T@B comfortable taking time to cool the interior and remove humidity.  Inside temps climbed to 80 during afternoon outside high temps, but cooled down with outside temps decreasing after sun down, so cool in fact that we turned the unit off in early AM as it was 68 inside.  The unit very effectually removed the humidity, a very important factor here in the southeast.

Very pleased with its performance - it does not fully keep up with temperature climb but does remove humidity and made for very comfortable sleeping.  
    It sounds pretty good for what it is and a reasonable alter ative for folks without AC.  

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Geo Thank you again for letting us know about this sixteen pound miracle.  Finally have a ZeroBreeze for my 19FBTH toy hauler, with the 12V to 24V converter to let it run it off the LiFePO4 bank.  It's around a 14F cooler outlet temperature than indoor temperature. Not great, but not bad for 240W / 2300BTU. And you weren't kidding about it being a dehumidifying maniac. Thinking of routing the drainage tube into the fresh water tank so I never run out of water.   :)

Now I just need to install a light weight pleated or sliding panel RV door / room divider so I can solely cool / dehumidify the front 7'x5' bedroom with the ZeroBreeze.

I'm in a long term park at the moment in the mid-90s heat and mugginess of Texas, and a few days ago the area got a power outage. It'll be so nice to not only have boondocking cool air, but backup air conditioning when the Texas super reliable grid (/s) breaks down again next week.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @DougH - you have wheels - get outta the Texas summer heat and  humidity that I remember so well!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Geo said:

Any updates on the functioning of this unit.   I have a 2017 320 Q Max sans AC and with temps rising, I’m again exploring options.   I was thinking about placing the zero breeze (ZB) in the old AC cabinet that now has a lockable vent cover where the previous AC exhausted.  When using the Zero Breeze, I would vent it out the side using a plywood insert with holes for the vents.   Just thinking out loud…pricey but seems the portability offers options for storage in the cabinet when weather is cool.      
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    Wisconsin
    @MadCityJack, The 'Zero Breeze' works for us.  In 90* temps it does cool the trailer down around 10*, very effective at removing humidity.
    Positives for us are small size, light weight, fairly quiet operating, can be portable (I did secure to cabinet).
    The major drawback of this unit is no temp. control, can get quite chilly at 3:00AM and have to turn it off.

If your trailer is already outfitted for an AC to be installed, you may want to consider replacing that ?
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
    @Geo, Good to hear that it is working for you.   I agree a thermostat would be great.   I have space for a small AC in the lower cabinet, but I would have to build an infrastructure to support it/vent it properly (see https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/138701#Comment_138701).   I like the idea of the ZB portability.   I usually wake at 3:00 am anyway, so turning it off is really a non-issue.  However, the price is 3X that of a window AC and the website seems aggressive.   Once an item is in the cart, just try to get it out!  Here in Wisconsin, typically the weather is not as hot as in other parts of the country, however, it is humid and the heat has been significant everywhere this summer.  

2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    Wisconsin
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Another couple of options I've seen lately:

I originally stumbled across a similar unit on a European caravan supplies website. It seems interesting but I haven't tried it. Ivation

I bought a solar panel from Ecoflow so I'm on their mailing list and they have been pushing this new portable unit (seems a lot like the Zerobreeze). 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    @Marceline, thanks for your input.  I saw a similar concept in two other A/C units: Ukoke USPC06C, which looks nearly identical in specs and is less expensive and Eurom AC 2401, which has a lower BTU.  Both are on Amazon.   The weight of the Ivation is about 45 lbs and would rest on the ledge of one of the side windows of a TAB 320.  I don’t know if there is a weight issue on the TAB windows.  Clearly, one would not travel with it hooked up.   Overall I am excited to see the “split” concept potentially applicable to our TABs.   

It is my impression from reading comments on the Facebook group page that the new EcoFlow Wave 2 seems to be fraught with user concerns.   No matter, it won’t fit in my former AC compartment because one of the exhaust hoses extends from the top, significantly adding to the height.   I have several EcoFlow solar “generator” products and find them reliable. 
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    Wisconsin