Alde Hot Water Mixing Valve Adjustment

Been having issues with a lack of hot water in our 2020 Tab 400. Finally got aggressive in the adjustment of the mixing valve. Was following the instructions in nuCamps video about the adjustment located at:
They have you remove the handle off of the mixing valve and then rotate the black plastic insert under the handle so that the body of the insert is flush with the brass surface of the valve. Then they have you replace the handle and do the temperature adjustment from that insert location. Screen grab of the video shows the flush level they want:

Did that and there was essentially zero hot or even warm water. I then removed the handle and rotated the insert out multiple times till I finally got what I considered hot. The insert at that point was rotated out several turns from the flush position to over flush and now looks like this:

Notice the exposed threads. So it works as far as providing hot water but I can't help but wonder if the amount of over flush is indicative of some problem with the valve itself. Should I declare victory and go home or ...?
2020 Tab 400 BDL with Solar
2013 Tacoma TRD with towing package
Vermont

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Maybe screw it back into the brass and retest the water temp?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • HBarryHBarry Member Posts: 25
    When it is screwed in flush as nuCamp shows the water is cold. As it's turned out it gradually warms to the point it eventually becomes hot. My concern is that what it took me to get to the hot point (several turns unscrewed) was significantly beyond (plastic flush with brass) what nuCamp is showing. Guess what I'm wondering is if anyone else has had a similar experience. Is this normal or not?
    Vermont
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    When we adjusted ours, it did not project to that degree.  We have very hot water from the tap.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2021
    @HBarry, my experience is the same as @Sharon_is_SAM.  You can see a photo of mine in the discussion thread below.  I can't say with 100% certainty that the photo shows what it looked like after being adjusted, but I didn't have to turn it as much as you did and I have very hot water.

I suppose the only concern I would have with the threads exposed as much as they are on yours is that there may be very little thread still within the mixing valve body.  I am only basing that on the drawing of the mixing valve parts - - see below.  If it is not held in securely, it potentially could blow out when under water pressure from the campground water source, although your water pressure regulator should help protect against that.  It might be worth giving Alde a call to see what they say.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5018/no-hot-water-at-kitchen-sink-bathroom-sink-had-hot-water#latest

Diagram of the mixing valve is in this discussion thread:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/115593#Comment_115593
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Thanks @Bayliss. I'm getting hold of Alde. Obviously at some point if you unscrew enough threads you get wet. I'll post what I find out.
    Vermont
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    @HBarry was about to tighten hinges on chicken coop door when I saw your post. With screwdriver handy, took knob off our 400 and there is a single thread beyond the brass edge. It took 7 iterations of adjusting to get it to hot. Trailer has been out 5 days on two different trips since the adjustment. No issues. It will be interesting to see what Tech has to say.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
    To quote Dorsey from Truma:
    "I do not see that becoming a problem"
    In addition he provided the following instructions which are consistent with what I've seen elsewhere on the topic but don't cover the specific situation/question I had.

Vermont