Options

VERY slow fresh water draining

We have a 2021 320S BD and are finding that draining the fresh water tank literally takes hours. Open the valve and it becomes a dribble very quickly. Customer Experience suggested using the pump and low point drains (which works, I guess), but it seems like there should be nothing simpler than opening the fresh water drain (the camper is level) and having it drain in short order. Creed suggested blowing out the valve with compressed air but so far that has not made a difference. Any tricks that people know for this? Last time out we opened the valve about 50 miles from home (up and down hills) and still drained off many gallons using the pump/low-point drains after getting back home. Hate to spend a day with a dealer on what should be a simple matter.
2021 400 BD
2018 Ford F150 

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @LonesomeRoad, at the end of a trip when I am getting close to home, I open the valve and let the water drain out while I am driving.  You can do the same with the Alde tank and water lines, but open the inside kitchen faucets to assist with that.  If draining at home, and if possible, try parking with the trailer angled downward toward the area of the fresh water tank drain valve to force the bulk of the water toward the drain.

[ANOTHER POSSIBILITY:  It is possible that there is some plastic shavings left behind when the tank was installed (e.g., plastic shavings from holes being drilled through the tank wall to attach the fill/drain tube), which may be blocking the drain pipe and/or valve.  You might try removing the valve itself and let the tank water flush out the drain line.]
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    Sounds like something is blocking the drain valve.  There should be a steady flow.  I agree with Bayliss.  Remove and/or replace the valve.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Poor venting could also be a problem (which may also cause issues with filling the tank and drawing water.) The FW tank vent is less than impressive and is prone to compression and kinking depending upon how carefully it was installed. I made some small modifications to mine a few years ago and it seems to have helped.

There could also be something (plastic shavings, perhaps...) trapped in or blocking the vent. I'm not sure where the vent exits on the newer Nautilus-equipped units, but you might try blowing it out (gently) with some compressed air and see if that helps.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It really does take “hours” to drain the fresh water tank in the driveway from my 2021 T@B 320. I forgot Sunday to open the drain at the last rest stop, so I resigned myself to having a wet driveway while unloading. When I left again two days later and increased the height of the tongue to hitch up, more water came out. 

I will accept it as my normal experience with repairing plumbing involves breaking 3 pieces for every one I replace!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    It is a small valve, but when I drain my 2015, I definitely get more than "trickle" and (if I point the tongue down) the entire tank will drain within an hour. I wonder if there is something different about the 2021s... 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, while I can’t tell for sure, the valve lever itself is smaller than in previous years, making it harder to turn. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    ScottG said:

There could also be something (plastic shavings, perhaps...) trapped in or blocking the vent. I'm not sure where the vent exits on the newer Nautilus-equipped units, but you might try blowing it out (gently) with some compressed air and see if that helps.
    I'm not sure where the vent is either on a 2021. I opened the drain valve and blew that out a couple of times, each time I'd get a little additional water out. Does anyone know where the fresh water vent is on a 2021 320S BD? I guess I could overfill the tank and figure it out, but would prefer not to go that route!
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    Not sure, but the 400 with the Nautilus has the fresh water tank vent on top of the tank.  It is easily occluded by bugs.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    The fresh water overflow for the 2021 T@B 320 is in the middle of the T@B, directly across from the Nautilus.  I do not know where a “vent” is.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Assuming there are no one-way valves involved, an "overflow" would effectively serve the same purpose as a "vent."

On older (pre-Nautilus) T@Bs, overflow occurred when you had poured in enough water so it backed up into the filling port. Venting was via a small diameter tube that exited above the fill port. This tube would sometimes fill with water which would be eventually ejected under pressure--the good old T@B foot-washing feature!  :-)

2015 T@B S

• Options
    stephengstepheng Member Posts: 109
    My 2022 320S BD drains much slower than my 2018 320 Outback.  Where is the vent for the freshwater tank?
    Has anyone modified this to drain faster.  I'm guessing the fill spout on the older models also worked as a vent when draining.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    I’m tempted to drain my 2021 T@b 400 freshwater tank by drilling a half inch hole in the bottom of it and buying a cork. Just kidding ha ha. But seriously, paint dries far faster than these tanks empty. I literally pulled out a book to read last year when I was going through the sanitation process last spring. I understand that you can drain while driving, but what if you’re stationary at your storage location? Come on, we need a faster drain. Has anyone replaced their OEM valve with a bigger one?
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 209
    edited March 2023
    Same here, 2021 320 boondock.  It is impossible to get the tiny drain valve opening to empty the tank, it is mounted too high up.  At least a gallon of contaminated fluid remains no matter what.  We cannot drink from the fresh water tank as a result.
    No amount of compressed air or tilting camper way over gets the water out.  Killed one pump first year using it for antifreeze flush for lengthy time.
    Disconnecting pump and one way valve might let air in and break any airlock. 
    Researched drilling tank for 3/4 drain.  You would need inside tank access to mount a bulkhead fitting, or a plastic heat welded patch on bone dry tank.  After removing scrim under camper.
    It takes ALL DAY to flush antifreeze but seem to be stuck with this.  

This is a major manufacturing defect.  

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck