Options

Alde not working on propane

2015 T@B s. Continuous red light on analog panel. The only variable is a refilled propane tank. Propane turned on, stove and frig work fine on propane. Alde works on electric, will not work on propane. When on propane, you can hear the Alde kick on, the igniter clicking, then the red light comes on, and Alde shuts down. Thoughts anyone?

jeannie
2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I had a similar issue a few years back after replacing a leaking propane pigtail. I shut all the power down and went for a long walk. When I returned I tried again and all was fine.

All I can think is maybe a little air got in the lines and took time for enough propane to float it's way back to the Alde. A pretty weak explanation, but it's the best I got...  :-/  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    @ mona ;  Are you connected to Shore Power or on Battery/solar power?
    I've had Alde Propane issues like you describe while on battery with a low battery voltage.  Battery was not low enough to trigger (digital panel) low battery voltage alert from Alde however it was still too low/weak for Alde to run.

I connected the 7-Pin to TV, started TV engine, and Alde Propane came on and stayed on
    (have since upgraded my battery size)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Good point, @MuttonChops.

@Mona, your 2015 would have the analog (slider) controls. Now that I think about it the red light could be an indicator of low voltage. Was it flashing or constant?

This from page 17 of the US Alde 3010 operating manual:

G. Red LED flashes if the voltage to the boiler goes below 10,5 V (automatic resetting at higher voltage). Fixed light, the LPG boiler has become blocked (resetting by the central switch for LPG) or overheated (resetting by the main switch of the vehicle). The temperature sensors of the boiler could be defective as well (resetting not possible).

IIRC, when I had my issue, the red light never came on.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    Plugged into electric, battery is not low. Light is constant and no matter what I do, unplug, reset, turn propane on or off, it won’t reset. Guess I’m down to the sensors. We shall see. 
  • Options
    I should clarify, it will reset, but the same thing happens. The propane never seems to ignite. 

Jeannie
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    mona said:
    . . . The propane never seems to ignite.
    If you are still fighting this problem and are about ready to make a Service Appointment to have sensors and electronic sparker tested/replaced.  Here is a try one more thing to consider - - -

-  Disconnect Shore Power.
      -  Disconnect Battery via cut-off switch if installed or by disconnecting a wire
      -  Turn-off propane valve.
      -  Disconnect propane pig-tail from tank.

Let trailer sit like that = = = No Power (everything off) and no propane = = =
          for 5 minutes or so.

Now reconnect everything in reverse order of disconnects.
      -  Propane pig-tail to tank first
      -  Shore Power last.

Confirm your stove top will burn propane . . . run long enough to clear all air.

Now try the Alde on Propane.  With luck this hard reset of all systems might clear some Alde operation bug.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    No bueno on the hard set. Found a similar problem on a Airstream forum, and the blower fan was the culprit. Wasn’t turning fast enough. Another possibility to add to the possibilities. 

Jeannie
  • Options
    Ah ha, the mystery has been solved. A gummed up regulator. Works like a champ on propane now. 

Jeannie
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    @mona
     Was it the propane tank regulator just not putting out enough to get to the Alde, since your stove and fridge worked?  Or was it something inside the Alde?
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    edited December 2021
    @db_cooper The gunk was causing a solenoid to shut down the Alde, because of reduced gas flow. Apparently the Alde is picky about its propane flow, and it just wasn’t happy with a reduced flow. Once the regulator was cleaned out, it worked fine. 

Jeannie
  • Options
    Good info. As noted above, I experienced a similar issue after replacing a pigtail. Even though my other appliances (fridge and stove) worked, there may have been just enough dilution in the lines to kick in that picky Alde propane cut-off feature. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited December 2021
    That picky Alde gas flow cut-off system, is a good safety feature, as the Alde boiler is in your living space in the TaB.  I wouldn’t want it any other way.  Better to be safe…
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks for the update @mona. That's interesting to know, especially because some of us intentionally reduced the propane flow in trying to quiet the "high altitude rumble"... search "Alde freight train"
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya