Options

Axle question - do we need to put 320 CS on blocks?

mmcneil72mmcneil72 Member Posts: 46
Friend insists that our 2017 T@B 320 CS should be up on blocks - i.e. on jack stands so trailer wheels and axle aren't bearing the weight of the T@B.  Is this true?  Friend is a long-time RVer and experienced mechanic, so seems like a good idea.  Something about avoiding stress on the axle's torque arm?

At some point we may consider swapping in a Boondock style axle as we love camping but don't like the trailer park style campground very much, so 'rough' camping (aka overland etc.) preferred.

(Full disclosure - complete noobs to RVing but T@B performed like a champ during initial Rocky Mountain family camp out, including torrential rain the first night.)

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    Does the mechanic friend put his cars up on blocks?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    mmcneil72mmcneil72 Member Posts: 46
    Something something about the T@B's axle wearing out prematurely from just sitting on its tires.  Greek to me - don't really know who made the axle.  Has the nice cast rims, new or very recent tires.  Have space to park it and/or jack it up.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    The T@B struts are for stabilizing and should not be used to support the weight of the trailer. Never try to lift the trailer with them. It will cause damage to the stabilizer. Once level, drop them down and add a small amount of additional pressure. Just enough to keep it from rocking when you’re inside.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    The axle is what is commonly known as a torsion axle--suspension is provided by internal rubber blocks (or something similar) that resist and dampen the motion of the swingarm to which the wheel is mounted.

I suppose theoretically that relieving the pressure on the blocks and swingarm may prolong their life, but I've never heard it recommended, I don't know of anyone that does it, and I've never heard of a T@B torsion axle failing in this regard. I suspect bouncing the trailer down the road puts far more wear on the axle components than the static forces it experiences just sitting parked.

I could be wrong. I also don't use a surge protector, a water filter, a fancy battery monitor, or a spare tire cover, so risk-averse types may be better served avoiding my advice!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    @ScottG we are camping on the edge
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Here ya go..  explanation & illustration of how torflex axles work..
    https://youtu.be/MzDW1OUbmHc

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    @ScottG we have fun with our toys, so we do have a fancy battery monitor, a surge protector, and use a water filter, but have never gotten the spare tire out from under the T@B so… :)  

anyways, @mmcneil72, we have a 2018 CS-S that we keep happily garaged on its own 2 wheels.  I lube the bearings through the Zerk fitting each spring but otherwise have given no thought to the axle.  I think you’re safe!
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Can’t hurt. It kinda depends on how long it sits without moving IMHO. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    @elebereth, you have all those fancy accessories but you don't disassemble, inspect, and repack your wheel bearings every twelve months! I think you have an inner daredevil trying to break free!

Do I dare ask when you last changed the glycol in your Alde! Quelle horreur!  ;-) 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RogerLRogerL Member Posts: 24
    from the Dexter axle manual:

If your trailer is to be stored for an extended period of time or over the winter, it is important that the trailer be prepared properly.

2. Jack up the trailer and place jack stands under the trailer frame so that the weight will be off the tires. Follow trailer manufacturer’s guidelines to lift and support the unit. Never jack up or place jack stands on the axle tube or on the equalizers.
    2018 T@B 320CS-S, 2018 GMC Canyon SLT
    Urbana, MD
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    ScottG said:
    Well there's your answer... Don't store your trailer for an extended period!  ;-)
    Perfect 👍 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    @ScottG for the win!
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota