Options

Weight Distribution Hitch on a TAB320S Boondock

Hello,

I'm new here and this is my first post.
I did a bit of searching here before posting. I did find some posts about WDH but non that discuss the specific situation with a Boondock package and more specifically the front rack that extends over the tongue of the trailer.

Has anyone been able to successfully mount a WDH on a Boondock TAB 320? Can you share your experience? Photos?
I'm assuming the problem is the same on a TAG or TAB400 Boondock,

Thank you in advance and sorry if this has been covered before.
2022 T@B 320S Boondock
2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Instagram: new.t@bventure

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    WDH is not recommended on ANY TAB due to the frame design. If you search, you will find several past discussions.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    Yes I'm aware that they are not recommended due to the C-frame but I believe they can still be installed safely and I know many have installed them successfully. I have not bought a TAB yet but planning to do so soon and I'm curious about the Boondock's front rack installation.

This is from the Nucamp support page:

Do I need a Weight Distribution Hitch?

The answer to this question can be a little tricky. While we do not recommend a weight distribution hitch(WDH) we know that they can be very beneficial depending on your tow vehicle. We would recommend consulting with a dealer to get their opinion on whether or not you would benefit from a WDH. They have much more knowledge and experience with towing and matching campers to vehicles. 

There are 2 main types of WDH, bolt-on or clamp-on. While either model should work fine, we would recommend using a bolt-on style WDH. Again, we would recommend consulting with a dealer to find out which WDH is best for your application.

2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    Not only it is not recommended, there is no need for it, never had any issues towing with the trailer loaded or empty
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    @Maple_Geek, you make no mention of what you are planning to use as a tow vehicle for the TAB if you buy one. TV's are always a touchy subject so I am going to tread VERY lightly.

There are a few numbers typically associated with ALL TV's.

GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
    GCVW(R) - Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (Rating)
    Payload Capacity - Difference between GVWR and the actual weight of your TV based on options etc.
    Tongue Weight - Maximum allowable weight on your hitch, tongue weight is typically 10% (or more) of Gross Trailer Weight. 

In addition, on some  of the smaller TV's there is a "frontal area" specification for trailers that can be towed.

My suggestion rather than worrying about a WDH is to determine if the TV you are planning to use actually has the proper ratings that would make it suitable. The tongue weight on a 320 is less than 200 pounds and if this is too much weight for the TV you plan to use, I would suggest reconsidering.

Yes, I am aware that there are all kinds of people using marginal TV's or TV's that are overloaded; it happens every day. But, if you are exceeding the ratings of your vehicle there are a few things that can happen.

1. IF you were involved n a crash, your insurance company may deny the claim due to overload condition
    2. IF you experience a TV failure while under warranty, your warranty may be revoked
    3. It is just plain unsafe to do so and can cause poor handling issues, especially during an emergency maneuver. 

Now, you may never have an issue and for the rest of us we certainly hope you do not. Take this for what it is worth. 

Lastly, an RV sales person is the last one I would ever trust about answering the question "can I pull this with my X?"

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Thanks Brad. My TV is fine and I've done all my calculations.
    My question is not about my TV capacity to tow but about the installation of a WDH as it pertains to the Boondock front rack.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Okay, that's great.

If you have sufficient TV GVWR, Payload Capacity, and Tongue Weight capacity the only remaining reason that WDH comes into the conversation would be if the rear of the TV sags. WDH were introduced decades ago to overcome this problem by transferring part of that tongue weight back to the trailer. Think of a big family station wagon and a heavier travel trailer. 

There are other options available to correct this sag if it is an issue. Somehow, I don't think it will be depending on what you plan on hauling on the boondock platform. I met some people last fall using a Lincoln Navigator and had a 400 BDL with the platform, they were loaded very heavily on the platform (generator on one side and a bunch of stuff on the other) and were not using a WDH. Tongue weight on a 400 BDL is between 400 and 500 pounds, or so I am told. All I know is that I can't lift it like I could our 2017 320-S we had previously. 

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    WDH are not so much to deal with TV sag but to "Distribute the Weight" more appropriately over the TV's/trailer's axles. It doesn't change the fact that you still need to be within your TV's capacity to tow a specific rig and you need to consider all axles and tires weight ratings.

Again, I believe I've done my homework on this and I'm definitely ok.

I plan to buy a 2021 TAB 320S Boondock "soon" and I want to know if it's possible to add a WDH considering the front platform extends over the trailer frame. Does anyone have any experience to share?
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    @Maple_Geek it looks like you really want the WDH no matter. You should go with it for a peace of mind
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    No I don't want one "no matter what". I want to know if it's doable on a 2021 Boondock rig considering the front tongue rack and how did people deal with this. I thought my original question was clear.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Your original question is clear...its just that it begs the larger question. The manufacturer recommends against it. Moreover, (i) if your 320 is loaded near the limit of the axle rating and you use a WDH, your transferring even more weight to that axle, and (ii) drilling four or six holes in the C Channel may have negative impacts to bend and tensile strength.  But it sounds as though you're comfortable with your due diligence.

Don't mean to speak for Brad or others here. But just because it's doable doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. Think that's the gist of the cautionary comments here.

What ever you decide, wishing you good luck and happy camping! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Thanks @AirBoss. I don't think I mentioned anywhere that I was going to load the 320 anywhere close to the axle limit. I also didn't mention anything about drilling holes in the frame. Clamp on WDH are also an option.

Again, I'm looking for views about installation on a Boondock tongue due to the rack extension over the frame should I decide to go that route.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    No, you didn't mention it, that's true. And while clamp ons are an option, again, not recommended by the manufacturer.

Just cautionary notes towards an informed decision. 

And sorry I can't help with the underlying question. Fairly certain there are others on here you can.

Cheers! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I think members have made their points about WDHs.

Has anyone installed a WDH with the Boondock front platform in place?  I think @Maple_Geek wants to know about placement and any installment issues.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    One thread with some installs, but not sure if the boondock rack is an issue for all of them.
    Another, but they seem to be 400 oriented.

Here is a thread with "something" connected to the front of a 320 with the rack...but I honestly don't know what it really is.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thank you @pthomas745. I did go through these threads but didn't see anyone addressing the new kind of boondock rack that the 2021 models offer. The new rack appears to cover the entirety of the front frame from what I can tell so I think the only option is to raise everything 1"-2" to give clearance for the WDH attachment points.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    BridgerSunsetBridgerSunset Member Posts: 86
    Not the same as you're needing, but FWIW:  I just attached a bolt-on Reese sway bar system onto the passenger side of the 2021 400 boondock (with the racks).  To install it, the instructions required a 24" straight line length between the center of the T@B ball hitch receptacle and the subject Reese sway bar ball that is mounted on a rectangular plate with 6 bolts.  The rear-ward edge of this plate was about 7/8" from hitting the aluminum rack frame.  The straight line dimension from the middle of the T@B ball hitch receptacle to the start of the rack frame is about 26-1/2", and maybe a little less if you need to mount anything at an elevation higher than the frame itself.
    Hope that adds some color.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock  - Chev Silverado 3500HD 6.6L - Toyota 4Runner 4.0L
    SW Montana USA

• Options
    swiftwaveswiftwave Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2021
    I have a Fastway e2 6000 trunnion weight distribution system installed on my 2020 T@B 400 Boondock.  I like the way this system works.  It has the added advantage of anti-sway characteristics.  It’s also not necessary to disconnect when backing up, which I’ve heard some other anti-sway devices require.
    I’m not sure if the cargo rack on my trailer is similar to other Boondock trailers.  On mine, there is about one inch of space between the top of the frame and the bottom of the cargo rack, in the region where the link plates are bolted on.  (No holes through the frame were necessary.)
    The shop that did my initial install cut the Fastway L-brackets shorter so they would fit within that one inch space.
    Different link plates were ordered to properly fit the small frame dimensions of the T@B.
    Since the original install, I’ve removed and replaced all the mounting bolts and nuts with much stronger Grade 9 hardware.  (After nearly two years of regular use, the original bolts were shearing.)
    During my reinstallation, I flipped the outer link plate so the two bolts are now closer to the bottom, reducing the leverage that contributed to the shearing.
    My tow vehicle is a 2020 Chevy Colorado ZR2 with a 2.8 litre 4-cylinder turbo diesel and add-a-leafs installed on the rear suspension.
    I’m familiar with many of the opinions and theories surrounding weight distribution and T@Bs.  To each their own, within reason...
    I can say that I’m very pleased with how this system performs on my rig.
  • Options
    @BridgerSunset, @swiftwave thank you! This was helpful. Do you have any picture of your respective installations by any chance?

I'm particularly interested in the Fastway WDH install. 
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    BridgerSunsetBridgerSunset Member Posts: 86
    Here's a view of the Reese Friction Sway Bar bracket placement of the 2021 400.
    Hope it helps a little.  Don't know how or if a 320 has different geometry.

2021 T@B 400 Boondock  - Chev Silverado 3500HD 6.6L - Toyota 4Runner 4.0L
    SW Montana USA

• Options
    Thanks @BridgerSunset. I don't think it would make much of a difference in your case but the new Boondock rack on the 2021 units extends further out to the front. It would be over your installation but since it doesn't seem to go above the frame I don't think it would impact you.

I'm curious to see the WDH install from @swiftwave
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    swiftwaveswiftwave Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2021
    I hope these photos provide some value.
    (Sorry about the dirty trailer.  I’m currently on a summer-long exploration of the Yukon.  The Dempster Highway is several hundreds of kilometres of gravel road that crosses the Arctic Circle and continues to Tuktoyaktuk on the Arctic Ocean.)
    I’ll be offline again soon, so my ability to reply will be delayed.
    The Fastway e2 owner's manual is available at:  https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/pdf/e2-trunnion-hitch-instructions.pdf
    The manual has a detailed diagram of all the components and their names.
    In one of these photos, you can see the shortened L-bracket.  It was cut off at the top so it would fit under the trailer’s cargo rack.
    The three zip ties fastened through the square holes in the L-brackets are my temporary bandaid solution to the developing slop in this portion of the system.  The square holes are wearing slowly, allowing the associated L-pins to lean outwards a bit.  The L-pins themselves are slowly bending outward.  The nylon zip ties do a reasonable, temporary job of correcting for this.
    I’ve towed many thousands of kilometres in a wide variety of road conditions over the past two years, so I consider this reasonable wear and tear.  I’ll replace the L-brackets and L-pins with a new set once I’m back in civilization.
    It’s worth mentioning that in the region of the trailer's C-frame where the link plates are bolted, there is a metal plate welded across the opening of the C-frame.  The frame came this way.  This feature alleviated many of my original concerns regarding bolting link plates to this C-frame.
    I spent a few moments today searching for the alternate link plates designed for the 4-3/8” frame on my trailer.  Strangely, I was not able to find the outer link plates online.
    One thing I like about the alternate outer link plates (other than the obvious benefit of a proper fit) is that one can replace the bolts on the alternate link plates.  The stock outer link plates have permanently fastened studs, so no possibility of upgrading to stronger Grade 9 bolts, as I’ve done.
    It appears to me that the stock link plates will not properly fit a 4-3/8” frame.  Please correct me if I’m wrong.
    The alternate 4-3/8” inner link plates are available at:  https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Equal-i-zer/EQ90-02-5204.html
    If you find the matching 4-3/8” outer link plates, please post the website link.  Thank you.

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Please do not apologize for a dirty trailer in the Yukon.  We are not worthy.  What a great trip!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    NessmukNessmuk Member Posts: 26
    Thanks @BridgerSunset. I don't think it would make much of a difference in your case but the new Boondock rack on the 2021 units extends further out to the front. It would be over your installation but since it doesn't seem to go above the frame I don't think it would impact you.

I'm curious to see the WDH install from @swiftwave
    I have a Curt friction anti sway bar I have been thinking of putting on our new 21 Tab 320 Boondocker, but I am also concerned about clearance with the rack. The frame mounted ball would be just under the forward part of the rack.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited July 2021
    Not a Boondock or a 2021, but for what it's worth here's a Reese friction sway ball mount on a 2020 320S. Even with the basket mounted directly on the frame there are no clearance problems.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    NessmukNessmuk Member Posts: 26
    Thanks, if you are running that setup I should have no problems.
  • Options
    @swiftwave thank you for the pictures and enjoy the rest of what seems to be a fantastic trip.
    Thanks to all other replies also.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada