Options

New owner, long trip

Hi, All;

We’ve just bought a lightly used 2018 400.  

Planning an early September trip from Anacortes WA to Long Island NY, using the 400 as a mobile quarantine.  TV is a 2021 Ram 1500.

Putting on new tires as a precaution; and will add a sway control. Or should it be a WD hitch with sway, like the lightest Equal-I-zer, rated up to 4000 lb/ 400lb?

Would appreciate your suggestions and cautions about making this trip with an unfamiliar rig, especially items to service and tools I might not think of.

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    I don’t think WDH is needed (and I think the frame manufacturer even discourages it). We have a Tacoma and just towed our 2021 400 BD 1700 miles. I know many here don’t even recommend a sway control but I have to say that it really stabilized our setup. Prior to installing it we’d experience sway sometimes. Nothing crazy but why take a chance? 

We had an issue with one brake drum getting really hot while the other stayed cool. After some adjustments (simple to do) I got both wheels adjusted and no more heat issues. That was my main priority to fix before our long trip. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @Hanktheyankhttps://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/168422#Comment_168422
    Your vehicle is well suited for towing the 400.  You should not need any additional devices.  Watch your speed.

Was the glycol ever changed?  Have you inspected the hoses for bulging?
    Check the seal above the front window:  

Tools:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4732/recommended-tool-and-spare-parts-list
    Service:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/categories/service-bulletins-from-factory
    Maintenance:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6393/maintenance-notices

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    We have a WDH with sway control.  I don’t think we need the WDH, but the sway control makes driving feel SO much more secure and stable that I use it on every trip we take.
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited August 2021
    @Hanktheyank
    I've driven my 2021 T@B400 at least 15K miles with a Honda Ridgeline, and I don't use any sway control add-ons, and the T@B is rock steady - even with lots of wind (think insane west Texas winds).
    I'd highly recommend trying it without anything before deciding to add additional hardware you may not need. 
    I can not imagine the trailer being any more secure or stable than it is with nothing added. And with a Ram 1500 pulling it, I'd think it would only be less of an issue. The 400 is a small trailer for a full size pick up...
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    I’d agree with @ChrisFix, IF you can test drive without the sway control.  It may work fine for you.  With our Highlander it’s just a much tighter follow with the sway control.  If you can test drive without and you feel comfy then that’s good.  If you have to take off without test driving then for safety’s sake I’d get the sway control.  
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    We tow our 2018 400 with a Tundra and we use a friction sway control.  The combination has worked well for us for 25,000 miles including a 9500 mile trip from Mass to Olympic NP, Banff, Glacier…..  I have avoided a WDH as I didn’t want to share the Tundra’s load with the Tab and overload the camper’s axle.  The 400 has towed like a dream behind our full size pickup regardless of the terrain or conditions.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    KatydidKatydid Member Posts: 43
    If you haven’t already, you might want to have the brakes and bearings serviced .

2021 TAB 400BD; 2015 Audi Q5
    Boston Northshore
  • Options
    BridgerSunsetBridgerSunset Member Posts: 87
    The owners manual on our 2020 Toyota 4Runner states that sway control is required due to the weight of our 400 (see last line in photo).  Your Ram will likely have a different requirement, but may be worth knowing.

2021 T@B 400 Boondock  - Chev Silverado 3500HD 6.6L - Toyota 4Runner 4.0L
    SW Montana USA

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited August 2021
    The much longer wheelbase of the Ram 1500 (the shortest is 140") will improve towing stablity compared to the 110" of the 4 Runner.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Make sure to check and see if the RAM has built in trailer sway control. My F-150 does and if you are going to add any type of eternal sway control you MUST turn off the vehicle sway control first.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Ditto on the WDH/Anit-sway chatter. WDH not recommended...anti-sway a personal choice, really but it does add some level of comfort to be sure. Also, do a dry run if you can. Stay close to home but put it through its paces. Drive freeway speeds (60mph max), two lane roads, climb some hills, practice backing the rig into a space (parking lot after hours). 

Unless you're a real road warrior, I'd recommend keeping it under 300mi per day. You'll likely average around 45mph (meals, fuel, road construction, two lane roads, etc), so that's just under 7 hours, which is a relatively long day towing. Plan the trip so you arrive at your next campsite around 200pm-300pm., if possible.

Your trip is approx. 3000mi one-way in mid-September. Assuming you're planning to take I-90 most of the way, what are you plans on the return leg? I-90 thru the northern tier states in mid-late October can be a bit dicey so check weather. Some great weather apps out there...they'll come in handy. 

Do a search on here for fuse inventory and location for your make and model. Go the expense of buying a complete inventory of all types (and fuse puller) and keep them stored in the rig. Nothing like a $2.00 part going sideways to ruin a day (or worse yet, an evening). 

Your round trip should involve at least one oil change in your TV. Easy to overlook. 

I carry a large plastic enclosed tote that contains all my fluids for the TV (coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine oil, transmission fluid, windshield wash, etc.) as well as a high powered battery charger/jumper unit. Saved my bacon once already. 

There are a lot of trip planning apps out there and they are incredibly helpful. That said, nothing like a good old fashion Rand McNally Atlas to peruse through over an evening cocktail, glass of wine, or beverage of choice. 

Obvious things like proper sized lug wrench, jack and jack stands, cordless drill with socket for stabilizers and bits for various uses, Gorilla tape, bit driver set, small but comprehensive tool kit (needle-nose Vise-grips are a God send!), and of course....patience. I am not known for being a patient person by any means, but...I can say a recent 8500 mile 8 week trip taught me alot about patience. 

Anacortes, WA is a beautiful corner of the world. Spent many days and nights at the marina en route to points north in Canada on the boat. A nice place to call home. 

Oh, and...keep a journal. It helps relive your adventures as the years go by. 

Safe travels and blue skies...

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    Ditto on the journal! We started from the very first drive off the lot to document our journeys. Part of what I note is the mileage for each trip and the nights we spend in the camper. As we drive home from a trip we write in all the funny stories and details including people we camped with and folks we have met along the way. 
    It is surprising to look back through the journal after just one year and say, “Oh yeah, I forgot about that trip. That was such a good time!” 
    The journal is also how we document mistakes we made, things we learned, parts that have been replaced, supplies we wish we had brought with us, etc. 
    mary
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @AirBoss,@xdr, keeping a journal sounds like a great tip. In all of our previous travels, we had our boys (great-nephews) with us. Our travels were documented with every campground registration, map and paperwork we aquired and every national park and monument junior ranger course and certification obtained. We made books and tons of memories for and with them, but as they are no longer living with us, our travels begin after Labor Day for only ourselves.

Time to keep track of our memories, adventures and challenges for just ourselves and a journal sounds like a way to do it.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    HanktheyankHanktheyank Member Posts: 5
    Been following comments closely and appreciate the input. I need a quick education and you’re providing it!  Thanks to all..
  • Options
    RickyRicky Member Posts: 24
    I have a 400 on order and am getting the sway control cause I have been towing campers most of my life and the sway control is awesome if you have it set right. Especially when the big semis come roaring around you, it’s great insurance for the price