Options

Solar Generator

2»

Comments

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Verna, not to side track the conversation, but I’m curious to know why you went from a T@B 400 back to a 320?
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Ok, thanks for responding to my topic diversion.  I completely understand your reasons.  Nancy and I are going in the opposite direction.  We really love our 320, but we are getting ready to retire and expect to be doing a LOT of traveling.  The 320 was just going to be too small.  When I first saw your post, I had a momentary panic that we were making the wrong choice.  Now that I understand your reasons, I’m back on track!
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    edited September 2021
    Verna said:
    @JohnDanielsCPA, I had a family member who became sick and I needed to spend a summer in an RV Park in Indy while helping care for them, and that RV Park was not fun as all of the Class A and 5th Wheel owners stayed inside and didn’t socialize. Boring…

This is one of the reasons we want to extend our battery power. Rustic sites are typically more scenic and easier to find. Plus we like being among people that actually enjoy...well....camping.
    I'm still looking for someone that has shared their experience using a portal power station (as I prefer to call them), particularly experience using one (preferably a Bluetti AC200P) to power a T@B's 12V DC system only. There's lots of video etc of people using them to power larger RV's and/or AC appliances. Besides cost, it still seems the most convenient option and, as I stated before, I know I'll have other uses for it.
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 181
    Da_Birds, I have a Bluetti AC50S (500w) I use for backup power for devices and to power my ICECO 20 frig/freezer when boondocking in conjunction with a Bluetti 120W solar panel. It's also handy to keep my frig/freezer running when we stop for lunch, dinner or exploring en route to campground. Also just put in a 100ah AmpereTime LifePo battery. Happy with everything so far.  
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    edited September 2021
    I recently set up a 100 ah BB and a 720 watt EcoFlow River Pro power station.  I briefly ran my WFCO off of the EcoFlow power station and everything worked well.  I didn't try to charge the BB, mainly because if I were to do any charging, it would be the other way around.  However, it is possible, but not efficient.  Direct DC to DC could be accomplished and is more efficient.   In the unlikely event my BB were to be depleted and I needed some power to ensure my trailer emergency brakes would work, the EcoFlow could be used to charge the BB before departing.  

The power station, like most, has a regulated 12 volt power supply and AC sine inverter, which can be used in a pinch to charge my 18v drill battery and other small devices, sparing the house battery.  

From my haunting lead acid battery days, I used the power station in summer at night to power a Rigid Hybrid fan and at lower settings the fan draws only 4-6 watts (AC), sufficient to create a nice breeze, as well as power our phones, watches, cameras etc.  I have yet to rely solely on the BB for all power, but look forward to trying.  I do have 135 watts of portable solar power but cloud cover/rain has been an issue earlier this summer.  

Power station portability is a plus.  I will be using the EcoFlow in the event of a power failure at home, especially in winter, to provide light, perhaps maintain the router/modem and charge devices.  I plan to bring the BB inside over winter as a backup to the EcoFlow   I think having the EcoFlow River Pro (about 16 lbs) works handily for me.  I would consider getting something with more watt hours and larger AC inverter, but I want portability so weight is an important consideration.  Currently, I have seen the biggest units up to nearly 100 lbs!  

2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin
  • Options
    pmfarrell099pmfarrell099 Member Posts: 5
    ChrisFix said:
    @DanL
    If you connect the 'solar generator' inverter outlet(s) to your T@B's shore power, then it will be delivering 120V AC power to the T@B, which would enable running everything in your camper...and that includes the battery charger in the wire center of the T@B (the WFCO panel).
    The battery charger is automatic, so if needed, it would begin to recharge the T@B's batteries in this configuration.  However, it's not a very efficient way to recharge the T@B's battery.
    And heavy loads like a microwave, electric Alde settings, and air conditioning might not work due to the size of the power pack's inverter - but also will exhaust the battery pretty quickly.
    Thanks for this. I just got a T@B 320 with no solar setup installed. For tent camping I have used a Jackery 1000 with two integrated 100W solar panels to recharge it. For me, instead of installing a solar monitor and plugging the panels into it to charge the T@B battery, I think it would be cheaper and easier to plug the Jackery into the shore power plug on the T@B to deliver 120V AC to the entire trailer and then plug the solar panels, or, if need be, my little gas-powered generator, into the Jackery to keep it charged. I get it that the Jackery probably won't be able to power the AC and microwave, but neither can the battery by itself anyway. I don't understand what you mean by "but will also exhaust the battery pretty quickly". It wouldn't exhaust the T@B battery would it? It would charge it as needed and then take over everything else so as not to exhaust it, right? Just like shore power.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2022
    Look at the Jackery’s AC outlet watt rating, divide that by 120 to get the amp rating, you need at least 15 amps (or 2000) watts to run a TaB.  Most of these smaller solar/battery systems have an AC outlet rating below the total watt rating of the unit.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    What do you mean by "to run a TaB"? How about run a TaB, minus the AC and microwave, given that the rest can mostly run on just the installed battery (DC) and propane? And see: 

https://thesolaraddict.com/plug-solar-generator-into-rv-trailer/
  • Options
    I meant using the AC converter, fridge, microwave Alde (on AC) and AirCon.  Yes, if you do not use any of the AC appliances, it will work, but why?  The trailer’s house battery, especially if upgraded to 100 amp lithium will run the trailers DC systems just fine, and with a 100 watt solar, will run the trailer for extended camping trips.  We run our TaB400 on 200-amp AGM, for three days and two nights on the house batteries, using the DC fridge (biggest power user), Alde in gas mode and lights.  

The Jackery is just a battery, with solar charging controller, and inverter.  So going from the Jackery’s battery to AC (via its inverter) then then to the TaB’s AC/DC converter and back to DC and run the trailer is not efficient use of power.  You will loose power to heat with the double conversion (going from DC to AC then back to DC).  Whilst the Jackery connected to the TaB via AC might charge the TaB battery, depending on the WaCo load, it will not fully charge the battery, as the Jackery’s battery may have a smaller amp hour battery than the TaB’s battery.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    I get it that the Jackery is just a battery. But it's a 1000 watt with 120V output that can be recharged with solar panels that I already own (or with a little gas generator that I also already own), without me having to install a controller and do some wire splicing. My TaB 320 has two US 2200 6 volt deep cycle batteries. Not lithium. I want to mainly keep the fridge running all the time and maybe use the fan and heat at night (and lights, USB charging, etc.), prioritizing propane. And, importantly, I don't want to completely exhaust the batteries on a 4-day boondocking trip. If I plug the AC cord into the Jackery during the day when we're out hiking, leave the trailer batteries on, and turn off the Alde controller, I should be able to both keep the fridge running and charge the batteries (at least more than whatever solar panels might do, especially in the shade), right?
  • Options
    screwlosescrewlose Member Posts: 18
    I get it that the Jackery is just a battery. But it's a 1000 watt with 120V output that can be recharged with solar panels that I already own (or with a little gas generator that I also already own), without me having to install a controller and do some wire splicing. My TaB 320 has two US 2200 6 volt deep cycle batteries. Not lithium. I want to mainly keep the fridge running all the time and maybe use the fan and heat at night (and lights, USB charging, etc.), prioritizing propane. And, importantly, I don't want to completely exhaust the batteries on a 4-day boondocking trip. If I plug the AC cord into the Jackery during the day when we're out hiking, leave the trailer batteries on, and turn off the Alde controller, I should be able to both keep the fridge running and charge the batteries (at least more than whatever solar panels might do, especially in the shade), right?
    Totally depends how many watts your solar panels can produce.
    They may work much better going to your 2 6v batteries as they can store much more energy than the Jackery can.
    As said before using a Invertor to generate 120v to charge a 12v battery is wasting a lot of energy, so if the panels can generate enough to overcome that waste is the real question.
    Only way to find out is to try it.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    But a 1000watts at 120VAC is only 8.33 amps of power, not likely to do much to charge your batteries, the TaB’s converter is going to use most of the available power from the Jackery running the fridge load, not much (if any) is going to go to the batteries.  The normal minimum AC power requirement for the TaB is 15 amps, and you might run the power converter off a 10 amp source.  You need to check the input power watt requirement for the WaCo converter before trying to use it to power the TaB, just to be safe.

You do not need to splice any wires to add a SAE solar panel plug, and it can wire directly to the battery.  Then use a 100 or 200 Watt solar panel suitcase to charge the TaB battereis.  The Jackery is good to run a small appliance, like a coffee grinder or hair dryer, etc and charge your cell phone and laptop.  The Jackery has a 21.6V, 46.4Ah Li-ion NMC battery inside.  Your TaB batteries have a much larger AmpHr rating. A small battery is not going to charge a larger battery very well, if at all.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,009
    Just skip the plugging into the trailer and use this cable.  Connect your jackery directly to your batteries.  Just may have to use it while at camp? I'm not sure if it poses the possibility of overcharging your batteries? But since it's considered a trickle charger I doubt it.  I'd test it as far as how long it takes to charge our trailer but you'd probably be safe leaving it connected for a while as you go off adventuring.  And for $35 it seems like an easy and effective way of charging your trailer batteries from you jackery. 

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-PowerCable-Automobile-Lead-Acid-Compatible/dp/B083Q7ZRY7
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    The 12VDC output of the Jackery 1000 is 9-12 VDC at 1.5Amp, so a trickle charge it would be but not until the TaB batteries DC voltage drops down to 12DC or less.  
    Cheers 
  • Options
    PixandMsBeePixandMsBee Member Posts: 34
    A little late to the game here but would appreciate some help. 
    Waiting on our 2022 T@B 320-S to arrive, it is supposed to be on the assembly line this week!
    I will be installing an SOK 100AH Lithium  battery in the tub.
    I already have a Jackery 500 with their 100 Watt panel (used in our previous teardrop)
    The Jackery panel does have a small connector on it where it will charge USB devices directly.
    I want to be able to use the Jackery Panel in conjunction with the roof mounted panel, the Jackery panel will be plugged into the port on the outside of the tongue box.
    This is a link to Amazon.ca  as I am in Canada.
    Can someone point out which controller to use with my configuration?

Thanks!!!!

Amazon.ca : victron controller

2022 T@B 320-S Boondock Edition

2022 Outback Limited XT

SOK 100ah LiFeP04 Battery

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    @PixandMsBee - the above thread should have some answers for you.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    edited April 2022
    Just an FYI for those that don't know. Jackery and similar portables are typically rated at watt hours, not Amp Hours. You divide watts by voltage to get amp hours. A 1000w Jackery divided by 120 volts is only 8.3 amp hours. At 12 volts it's only 83 amp hours compared to a single RV battery rated at 100 amp hours. Don't get your hopes up that you can run large items 24/7 with them. If you have a 12 volt fridge that draws 3 amps then figure the 1000w Jackery starting at a full charge can only run it for 27 hours till it's at zero charge. Nothing is that efficient so even less, not even a day. They're really only for recharging phones and laptops and running larger items for short periods (think tailgating). You're going to need a lot of direct sun for a long time every day for it to make any difference in an RV. 500 watt Jackery? forget it. I'd recommend adding another 100AH battery and portable solar panels directly to your existing RV battery/solar system so it's less cost and more efficient. Just so you know before you dump a lot of money on one.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    What @SLJ said X2! The Jackery and Bluetti systems are essentially small LiFePo batteries that can be charged with solar and 120V. Your t@b battery is already exactly that system. Expanding your t@b's systems and capabilities in more efficient and cost effective.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,009
    If you’re looking to increase the power of your trailer then I agree to just upgrade the batteries in your trailer.  Either a couple of 6v batteries like the 400 has or lithium.  However if your looking for a lightweight self contained battery system to power other items then I’d recommend a jackery or similar product. We use our jackery 1000 to power our 12 v fridge, in our truck. When we go on long trips with the tab or if we overland in the truck we take the iceco fridge. With no recharging as we move or at camp we easily get 3 days powering the fridge. The compressor does not run constantly so you can get days of use out of the jackery.  With recharging from solar or while driving we never run out of power at all. They’re super light weight and powerful and can power our fridge at the house or our internet when the power goes out.  But again, if your looking to add more power to your trailer just upgrade the batteries. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    For the ICECO (JP40) portable refrigerator inside our HIghlander, I’m using a Battleborn I put inside a Plano container (around $15) and added a shunt “fuel gauge” and a solar charge controller is coming.  In our home under constant temperatures around 68 degrees F, with minimal opening of the refrigerator and using two large “Cooler Shocks” that started frozen, I ran the refrigerator for over 5 days at around 18 degrees (nominal) before the battery was exhausted.   I measured the inside temp with a Bluetooth sensor and found the temp bounced up and down by about 5-7 degrees.  We will be using the ICECO to keep cooler shocks frozen and rotate them into our 3 way fridge run on propane to ensure good cooling for refrigerated items and use the ICECO for keeping frozen items.  Experimenting on our way to 11 days of dry camping.   
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    The batteries in the Jackery/GZ, etc are usually lithiums, I take it.  So a 83 amp hour Jackery (if it is a lithium, of course) would be a nice boost.  Pricy, but nice.  At the end of this "Anyone carry a spare battery" thread, Msmith set up a Bluetti to run things from inside the trailer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi