How to reduce condensation in cold weather

SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
For the first time, I found myself in really cold weather - woke up to -4C (24F). I was toasty warm but there was a lot of condensation on the windows and by the door (on the ceiling and wall in the cubby by the door, on the floor, around the door). I had left the vent open through the night but obviously that wasn't enough. What do you do to avoid this? Use the dehumidifier on the Elwell? Stuff some padding in the door?  
2021 Tab320S Boondock, 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Open one window to the first notch, leave the roof vent open about an inch. Do not turn on the roof fan.  This provides a natural air movement that will allow the condensation to exit. As we breathe we do exhale moisture and the moisture is the condensation you are seeing. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,448
    I would crack a window away from the thermostat.  We found that cracking a window on the driver side, near the CSS Alde control, draws cold air past the thermostat causing the Alde to excessively heat the cabin.  We crack the front window.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 318
    Ditto Verna’s comment, crack window and open vent to enable air flow. I usually leave vent completely open but I also have a Maxx Air cover. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,490
    I leave the front/kitchen window latched open a bit, leave the fan vent open a bit and don’t freeze or have condensation issues. Since you had quite a bit of condensation you may want to check inside the rear of all your cupboards for moisture against the outer wall. The one time I had condensation three of my five cupboards were wet in back. If I hadn’t checked I might have had mold. You’ll get it figured out, it’s part of the learning curve.  :)

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • ChopinChopin Member Posts: 40
    I’ve found that if you have the seat cushions up against the outer wall that tends to be a place where condensation builds so I generally will keep the seat cushions pulled away from the wall when not in use so the air can circulate and the walls stay dry. 
  • SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
    Just got home today and checked all of the cabinets and walls out - everything was dry - phew! Thanks for all of the tips, I almost never open my front window but I think that's what I'll be doing when it's cold.  Does anyone ever use the Elwell dehumidifier mode?  I've only used the AC maybe twice so I have no experience with it.  I normally just use the fantastic fan.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,448
    We had a ductless A/C unit in a former home with a “dry” mode.  We would cool the area down first, then turn on “dry”.  Kept it very comfortable.  If the dehumidifier mode is functional on the TaB Air8, give it a try.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,596
    I wonder if condensation on the top of the trailer could be eliminated by a blanket on the roof?  The outside is cold, the inside is warm and wet, and I don't think there is much to be done after a certain point.  Physics is against you.  The only thing that will keep your car windows from fogging over (ie: condensation) is the defroster.  Has anyone measured the temperature of the ceiling during cold temps? 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Ventilate...even if only in the first notch position...try not to have too much temperature variance between outside and inside...the T@B is actually quite warm inside when set at 60*F...we were fine out in B.C at -4*C...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    We have also used my version of @MuttonChops's PWM fan speed controller idea for running the ceiling exhaust fan on very low & very quiet speed for ventillation with just the front window cracked open.
    My version is here:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/140981/#Comment_140981
    Or go to the top of that long thread for his original version, or other versions in the same thread.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 342
    Sitting in our 320 right now as temperatures approach 32 here in Vermont. We, too, keep just the front window open about an inch, and the roof vent open an inch as well (not turned on...) The game changer for us was discovering how much more comfortable it is to have the side window privacy screens closed.  Really cuts the draft and feeling of radiant heat loss. Soooo comfortable!
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Bt0325Bt0325 Member Posts: 7
    We just boondocked for 32 degree night in very humid conditions in Michigan.  Heavy, wet frost on the grass in the morning.  Fan vent cracked, window shades closed.  Little to no condensation inside, but CS lift and top of galley cabinets were wet in morning.  Dried with a rag.

Alde worked great.  
    2021 CS-S, “Skreppa”
    Jeep Wrangler JLU
    3.6L eTorque
    3.25 inch hitch drop
  • SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
    I almost never open the front window so I never even considered it.  That's clearly the best plan.  Thanks all!
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited October 2021
    Good advice from everyone.  I always vent with the back or front window on the TaB400, depending on the wind direction.  I also leave the roof vent slightly opened about an inch (we have the vent hood/cover on the top of the camper, so rain does not get in, even when it blows.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Alas, I do not have a front window but I heartily agree with what  YanniLazarus said, keeping the roof vent and side window open:
    The game changer for us was discovering how much more comfortable it is to have the side window privacy screens closed.  Really cuts the draft and feeling of radiant heat loss. Soooo comfortable!

2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • ImNotThereYetImNotThereYet Member Posts: 34
    Hello! Here are my cold weather tips after this weekend in 19 degrees with a crazy wind chill! Our 1st night, we did the cracked vented windows on both sides, not the front, kept the vent closed. Thermostat at 63. Lots of condensation everywhere. 2nd night we closed the windows, opened the vent, no fan and also put some micro absorbing towels at the door to keep that area dry and acts as a wind barrier. Super warm, no condensation! We also upped the thermostat to 65. We are going back out for New Years! Epic trip to Hunting Island, S.C. ! More to come about that! Happy New Year everyone!
    2023 TAB 320 Boondock towing with a 2006 Highlander-www.donjohnsmusic.com
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    I always open the fan vent to the point the fan could but only turn it on when cooking. Then crack the front window. This handles the moisture from us sleeping and living in it to as cold as we've done (mid 20s) calibrated 65 night, 70 us in it. When we hike or ski I shut the window and reduce the vent and set to 67. Rarely have condensation (only the 2 humans no pets). Don't like the side windows cracked when cold - too drafty. Above freezing the outside air can contain more moisture so sometimes the condensation is a problem but then open the vent more or open a side window.

Comes down to outside humidity expressed as dew point, inside temp and how much moisture we add by breathing / cooking. We'd never condense if we didn't add the moisture, as the air/moisture is always at the outside conditions or warmer inside the trailer.  With no venting or people inside, the trailer can condense with a humid day and rapid temp drop.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network