Options

Where does it go? Why don't we see water draining from the T@b a/c hose?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
So, my T@b a/c has been awesome during this recent heat and humidity, even without a fan for it. I never see water dripping from the drip hose, so I can't help but wonder, "Where does it go?" Anyone have any ideas?

I did notice that the a/ fud do a better job cooling the T@b than removing moisture from the air, but it has been very humid.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    Goes to the gray water tank. We 'discovered' it when after 4 consecutive days of heavy A/C use in hot humid weather last year's Labor Day weekend our gray tank started backing up into the shower tab inspite of our minimal use of indoor water. Thankfully, that happened during the day and we were able to quickly remedy the problem - if it occured at night, we'd have had a nasty surprise :s . If using A/C a lot in hot, humid weather one should plan to empty gray water tank more frequently - we now have an extra 20ft dump hose that connects  to our routinely used hose such that we can reach gray water dumps in the camps where we stay most frequently. 
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Machak88 said:
    Goes to the gray water tank.
    That is as good of an answer as I've seen. I layed down on a blanket yesterday to find the drainage tube and couldn't find it. But, there was a black container, for lack of a better word, where I would imagine the drain should be. I'll have to check when I get back home because the tongue is lower on this spot than at home and I couldn't see between the frame members to see what happens with the black container. I'm using my portable gray water container and since there is no way to have the hose level, I have to lift the hose to move the gray water from the tank to the portable unit. At times, there has been some water in the tube when I know there hadn't been any a few hours before. Yup, A/C drainage makes sense.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Machak88 said:
    Goes to the gray water tank. We 'discovered' it when after 4 consecutive days of heavy A/C use in hot humid weather last year's Labor Day weekend our gray tank started backing up into the shower tab inspite of our minimal use of indoor water. Thankfully, that happened during the day and we were able to quickly remedy the problem - if it occured at night, we'd have had a nasty surprise :s . If using A/C a lot in hot, humid weather one should plan to empty gray water tank more frequently - we now have an extra 20ft dump hose that connects  to our routinely used hose such that we can reach gray water dumps in the camps where we stay most frequently. 
    This makes complete sense and i had a suspicion this could be it, but no evidence. Thanks!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

NOT SO FAST: 

I don't have a grey water tank, just a drain tube at the bottom of a catch pan underneath the A/C (located at floor level).  During two years' of use I have never seen one drop of condensation from the tube or in the pan.

I mentioned this to one of the guys at Tearstock last year.  He said that it was not unusual for that to happen.  He was busy and I didn't press for an explanation, but I haven't been too concerned about it.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    Hi,  Larry,  I have a 2015 tab L- max  same a/c on the floor ..  ran it for about 4 hrs. last week  no water coming out of the tube..   I suspect most of the water gets picked up by the condenser fan and thrown on the cond.   I was a service tech. in appl.  for 38 yrs.  newer units did this..  depends on temp & humidty..  also most a/c units no matter how many BTU`s  can only drop temp from 18 to 24 deg. inside your room...  Manny
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options

Thanks for that explanation, Manny.  It concerned me at first, but doesn't any longer because I checked several times to make sure condensation from the A/C wasn't showing up somewhere it shouldn't and never found anything.  And, I don't expect to park in the sun at 100* and cool the T@B down to 68* :)

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    Interesting. Max S - A/C up high in the wall. Early 2015 ("first with the 2015 features"). I thought I remembered the drain going straight to the ground, so I just went out and removed the bathroom mirror and poured water into the A/C condensation pan drain. Came straight out to the ground. Kinda wonder what criteria was used as to whether this goes thru the floor like mine or into the grey tank like others in this thread.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    So, does it go to the ground or in grey water tank?
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    judymac said:
    So, does it go to the ground or in grey water tank?
    Or does it disappear?

• Options
    I ran mine for the 1st time this past weekend, pretty hot & humid here, and wondered about this as well, no condensate running out of the drain tube.  I'm thinking it's evaporating?  And I assume what I was looking at was the drain tube, it's right below the unit.   We have a Q model w/out the shower so the unit sits on the floor.   I leveled the trailer up after reading about the drain pan overflowing if out of level.  Heven't pulled the outside grille to look at it closer.  Think I'm going to follow Larry's lead and not worry about it.   :)
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    The dealer had the A/C running when I came to pick my 2015 up.  There was no water on the floor of the show room.  Gotta check when I get a chance to see where it is going.

Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options

Hot and humid today.  I was out getting the T@B ready to travel, so hooked up the a/c to make sure it was operating.  After running for quite some time, absolutely no condensation, including none in the pan or on the unit that I could see.  I really think it just evaporates.  One reason being that I noticed it would run just a little while, then the compressor would kick off while the fan kept running.  I don't think the compressor runs long enough to generate enough condensation to drip.  I checked the controls to see if there was a setting that would make the compressor stay on longer and found none.  This could be another reason that the unit does not cool down the trailer as much or as fast as some would like.  Perhaps an auxiliary fan inside the cabinet, as others have mentioned, might make the compressor run longer as I assume the compressor kicks off after reaching a certain temperature.

My unit is a Friedrich mounted in a cabinet on the floor.  Your mileage may vary.  Seriously, your model, where and how it is installed will affect how it operates, so if someone says an operating condition or problem solution works for them, you should not assume it will for you as well unless you have the identical unit and installation.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    rkhammondrkhammond Member Posts: 54
    We have a 2016 Q model with a Freidrich A/C unit at the floor level.  We just picked it up last week in Minnesota (hot and humid there) and we used it thru the night. No drainage while parked level (and we did attempt to be 'off level' ever so slightly sloping towards the a/c side)...but a lot of water drained as we pulled off our leveling blocks and were then distinctly sloped towards the a/c side.  Must be a fairly large catch pan! 
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
    2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    rkhammond said:
    We have a 2016 Q model with a Freidrich A/C unit at the floor level.  We just picked it up last week in Minnesota (hot and humid there) and we used it thru the night. No drainage while parked level (and we did attempt to be 'off level' ever so slightly sloping towards the a/c side)...but a lot of water drained as we pulled off our leveling blocks and were then distinctly sloped towards the a/c side.  Must be a fairly large catch pan! 

If there was that much condensation from the a/c, seems it should have drained or dripped some while parked.  I would check the drain tube (located in the center of the drain pan) and make sure it isn't stopped up.  You can do this by running a pencil up through it.  I have heard of some being clogged by trash or insects.  You can also check to see if condensation is collecting in the drain pan by shining a flashlight in through the grate from the outside.  I've done this before.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Patti said:
    I have a 2015 with the Frigidaire in the box high above the window sharing a wall with the shower. Our first night we had water dripping all over the seat below. So it was definitely there, and going somewhere! I don't see how that much water could just evaporate without hitting the ground.

But since we got it home and it's level, I've never seen a drip again. Haven't looked to see where it's going, though.

This is a good point - 2x when not level. I have leaked, so it is collecting it. Back to the question - does it really go to the gray tank? Inquiring minds want to know!

• Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    Well, I know mine doesn't go into the grey tank; water is clearly on the ground under the T@b - here in north Georgia I get a LOT of condensation.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited August 2015
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    I plan to take a large syringe full of colored water and shoot it down the drain. I have a Max s with the upper ac unit. With a completely drained grey water tank I will find out where mine is going!
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    breakawaybreakaway Member Posts: 38
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    LARK said:
    I plan to take a large syringe full of colored water and shoot it down the drain. I have a Max s with the upper ac unit. With a completely drained grey water tank I will find out where mine is going!
    A T@B Barium swallow test.  Awesome. Yes, do post results!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    I just spent my first night in my new T@B and thanks to all of you, i knew pretty much what watch out for. Right off, i was level left to right and with a couple cranks of the tongue jack, i was level front to back. I hooked up the power cable and turned on the AC.  Inside the cabin it was 93 degrees. Off i went to take care of other things, giving the AC time to work. About an hour and a half later, the cabin temp was down to 85. Great.  it's working!  I went back outside and decided that even though i wasn't really sure I needed to, i would crank down the stabilizers. Done, no issues there except it was after dark and still 102 degrees outside. Off to the shower house. Inside temp down to 82 at bedtime.  Passed out after a long day at the dealer in 110 degree heat, sand storm and rain all within several hours.  At 5am i woke up with all of my bedding soaked and a steady drip stream, one per two seconds or so, coming from the bottom left corner of the wooden AC housing. BUT WHY!!!!!??!!! I had levelled the T@B!  Long story short, i did not re-check levels AFTER putting the stabilizers down.  It wasn't too far off center, but it was enough.

On a similar note, for those wondering where the water in the pan "normally" goes when it is not dripping onto the bed (one's own fault), as i righted the T@B to level, water from the pan beneath the AC unit GUSHED down and out of a drain tube, driver's side behind axle. Important lesson learned. Level AGAIN after deploying the stabilizers.

Now, if can just figure out why the norcold won't stay lit on propane.  It has a full LP i was told by my dealer, so that should't be the issue. The good news is that after about twelve hours on shore power mode, it is cooling and keeping my beer and yogurt cold. Since mine is a 2016, it came with the fan installed and as others have notes, the countertop does get warm to the touch but not enough to melt anything.

PS. I love my new T@B and the reason i woke up at 5am waa because i was cold. The inside temp was 70, outside was about 90. I did have to rig a wind deflector in the early evening hours, to get the air to point down onto the bed as it felt as though it was just shooting cold air to the top of the cabin.. I used one of the 8x11 warranty cards, bent it lengthwise, and slid it in the slot between the top of the unit and the housing wood.  I will look for a better plastic deflector mod thingy, but the cardboard is working for now to route the air downward. Or, mabe i will get a small fan as other have done.  Thanks again to all who came before me for tips and tricks.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    Definitely level...I took a shower in bed at 4:00 am when the condensation dumped on my head! I had run the A/C for the first time about 12 hours before. Shakedown cruise, from showroom to full time in half an hour.
    2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
    Paulo Coelho
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Deflector - Made one also, makes a world of difference. I have mine bent down and toward the back. Like yours, I need to find something for permanent use.
  • Options
    RollingLagrima said:

Now, if can just figure out why the norcold won't stay lit on propane.  
    Someone noted (maybe it was @ChanW?) that the thermocoupler can jiggle loose. It might be worth checking. It is below the stove.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    PXLATED.  Post Pics if you come up with something. I think i have seen them before for window units. I will do some searching online...

JENN. Will do, not urgent at the moment as i have NO need for hot water and do have shore power, but it is on the list for once i get home.

I am in heaven with regard to the amount of living space and the benefits that come with being able to stand up, pee if need be, change clothes, watch a movie, grab a cold beverage, brew coffee, make a sandwich. It is all at arms reach. While i dearly loved my silver shadow, the T@B just makes more sense for me, all the way around.   I got the stock Sofitel mostly for the slick dog-friendly (hair doesn't stick to them) cushions, but I am finding I really like the gray walls and boat deck flooring too. There are also so ways to hang and store things from the valances. Super happy. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Definitely level...I took a shower in bed at 4:00 am when the condensation dumped on my head! 
    Shower in bed, yep, did that. Luckily my bedding has dried out. I am hoping for an uneventful night under the stars.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I found my drain tube was wedged into the I-beam that is next to the tubing.  As soon as the drain tube was moved, it started dripping. 

We were having over 90* temps with 60% to 80%+ humidity at Tearstock.  I love my A/C ;) 

One night, Sunny Day took my spot on the bed while I used the bathroom and I had to partly sleep under the cabinets.  I figured I could tolerate it and if she found it cooler in that spot, then I wouldn't have a sick dog from the extreme heat.  Yes, maybe a deflector would direct the air more in the middle of the bed, rather than just at the head of the bed (or door side of the T@B).

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RollingLagrima said:

Now, if can just figure out why the norcold won't stay lit on propane.  It has a full LP i was told by my dealer, so that should't be the issue...
    One of these little gizmos will take the guesswork out of how much propane is left in the tank.  Can be ordered on line, but I got one at Wal-Mart in the grilling accessories area.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Just be aware that that little gizmo's indicator varies by temp - Good to have, got mine at a RV store.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I was curious when looking for a propane tank gauge, how these worked.  I looked at the stick on, but realized I couldn't see it clearly.  I was ready to buy one of these, but read some reviews on restrictive flow to the appliance and not working right.  I decided to buy a propane tank from Camping World with the actual float in the tank, w/gauge on top.  Are these twist on units working out OK?