Options

portable generator

2»

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You can add the Honda 2200to that list, it is also an excellent inverter type generator, quite and can use gas or propane to fuel it.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DaveAnnaDaveAnna Member Posts: 41
    Couple of things-generators are rated at sea level and 70F. They derate both peak and running fairly dramatically when not operating at these conditions. Propane conversion also derates performance. Shouldn’t need to run AC in mountains, but we had a heat wave for a couple of days in Wyoming 
  • Options
    ImNotThereYetImNotThereYet Member Posts: 34
    My wife and I purchased the Goal Zero Yeti 1500 for hurricane emergency backup with 450 watts of solar power. That will power the TAB with no problem as long as you are not wanting to run the air. I did do a test and it ran the air for over an hour, but took the Yeti down to almost nothing. We don’t take this set up with us, because we prefer just being somewhere to plug-in, however, we were just talking about it the other day, what a great thing to have now in the event we have to leave town due to hurricane. We had to stay at a hotel for 12 days a few years ago and that can get really expensive. Now we can just hook up our TAB and have a home away from home! I did a video on it, but can’t remember if I ever posted it or not, if you want to see it, let me know and I’ll look for it. It’s just basically me being the nerd I am, showing shots of it running and me getting shots of the battery running down! LOL!
    2023 TAB 320 Boondock towing with a 2006 Highlander-www.donjohnsmusic.com
  • Options
    TwoRoamersTwoRoamers Member Posts: 10
    We currently have a Honda 2000 inverter generator for boondocking, but am thinking of getting a cargenerator.com generator for our 2021 T@B 400; no gas cans, no noise.  Has anyone had any experience with this product.  Looks like it would do the trick and also be useful for home power outages.  Thanks
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock
    Towed by 2022 Toyota Highlander
    Queensbury, New York
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    The "cargenerator" is a lithium battery and inverter in a box, just like a Goal Zero, Bluetti, etc.  Does not appear to be able to charge with a solar panel.  Seems nice and simple, though.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    TwoRoamersTwoRoamers Member Posts: 10
    But the Cargenerator 1000/2000 is powered by your car engine/alternator to charge your camper batteries at idle.  Appears to be different than the Goal Zero which appears to be a power pack that need charging.

2021 T@B 400 Boondock
    Towed by 2022 Toyota Highlander
    Queensbury, New York
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    edited March 2023
    The GZ or almost any of the batteries in a box can be charged from a vehicle's 12V ports, or directly from the battery (with the appropriate cables. I carry a spare ordinary battery, and it charges in my vehicle with a Noco Genius plugged into a 12V "cigarette" port.

There is certainly nothing "wrong" with the cargenerator, in any case. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    We currently have a Honda 2000 inverter generator for boondocking, but am thinking of getting a cargenerator.com generator for our 2021 T@B 400; no gas cans, no noise.  Has anyone had any experience with this product.  Looks like it would do the trick and also be useful for home power outages.  Thanks
    Interesting product! But “no noise” isn’t accurate in my mind; while I’d rather hear a car idling than a generator running, neither is something I want to hear for hours on end when camping. And you still have the usual issues of making sure exhaust is pointed away and at a distance from the trailer.

Great option for emergencies though, I’m now researching it as a possibility for home power outages. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW