Options

Winter Storage: MPPT still on?

rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
I have our 2021 400 winterized, battery switch shut off, 40 amp breaker open but the MPPT controller is still on and I can connect to it with the Victron App. History shows it going into the bulk/absorp/float statuses daily. 
We also have a BVM712 directly connected, so I would expect that device to still work, but should the factory-wired MPPT still be online?
**Update** - finding some search result indicating to just disable charging in the MPPT settings through Victron app. I can do that but will MPPT still drain the battery somewhat since it is still powered on?
2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited December 2021
    Yes, I would leave it on, unless you plan to store your TaB indoors or covered.  This will help to keep the battery charged, and is what I do, since my trailer is stored outdoors.  If you switch the MPPT charge state to off, it will still have a small drain, also going with the BMV712, and Inverter, all of which are directly connected to the battery.  That said, a fully charged AGM battery (with battery switch off) will maintain a charge over the four winter months, even with the various very small loads from the Victron MPPT/Smart Shunt or 712 battery monitor.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,203
    I also leave mine on and charging. From my understanding you’re, in a sense, trickle charging the battery by leaving the charging on.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,682
    According to the Shunt manuals, the "draw" for the shunt is < 1mA...or, less than 1 milliamp.  It would take a thousand hours to add up to 1 amp.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    ... add up to 1 amp-hour;)
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    We left ours on last winter. No problem with batteries.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
    Pull fuse between battery and controller?
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Whilst that would work, it really is not necessary, as the small current drain is basically insignificant and it would take a long time to see any battery drop from it.  You can simply turn off the MPPT Charging mode through the Victron app.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 213
    edited April 10
    I have a similar phantom draw power issue.

After killing off all phantom draws last year, newly installed equipment is showing 0.17A draw (20A per week!) on the BMV readout.  It's not the DC to DC Converter.  Its not the (switched off) Inverter.   Its not the (isolated) Wefco/PD4135.  Have killswitched fridge, USB ports, radio/fan circuits, changed lights to non-indicating.

I have isolated this to the new MPPT 100/30 installed for suitcase solar.  Blue "Bulk Charge" light is blinking despite no panel hooked up.   Draw goes to zero if I yank the inline output fuse, or use Victron software to set Charge to OFF.  Other settings have not seemed to impact it.
    I installed weeks ago and have confirmed proper operation and charging.
    Confirmed no leaky/loose wire strands visually and with continuity testing after pulling fuses.  Wiring is correct.

Why does the larger MPPT draw this, and not the OEM MPPT 75/10 used on the overhead solar?

Too much confusing information from Victron.  There is a suite of settings for a VE.Direct port which includes an option for OFF.  I don't think I am using this port, but OFF made no difference.

I went through all the Victron software settings and believe the OEM and new box settings are matched to eachother and to the Battleborn batteries.  Software updated four times iteratively, checked and settings retained.

Is there another setting I am missing somewhere to kill off this draw? 
    I hate to hardwire yet another Kill Switch in the TAB and woodwork.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 937
    Maxcamp8
    I'm curious if it has to do with the open input?  I would connect a panel (covered) and see if that changed anything...  The only obvious difference between the two controllers wiring in your description. 
    Practically - I would turn it off in the Victron app then, back on when using the port.
     I was considering putting a controller on a solar input port, so I'm interested in what you find.