Location of the Victron MPPT controller in a 2021 T@B 400 BD?

I have a lot of the covers off under the bed and don't see the controller....

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,869
    Welcome to the Forums! 
    This thread has some ideas on where to look while you take the tour of your Tab.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,680
    edited December 2021
    Why do I think it may be under the 3way frig/behind the wardrobe area?  I could be way off…
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • alanfosteralanfoster Member Posts: 2
    Turns out it was behind the drawer under the wardrobe closet. Thanks for the help!!!
  • dlbdlb Member Posts: 147
    I put our second one for the suitcase panels in the same place.  It requires expertise in Tab Yoga!
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • BlueYonderBlueYonder Member Posts: 19
    Behind drawer under 3way fridge or wardrobe on back of shower wall
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Yes, it was moved here from its original location on the 400 when the three-way fridge option to replace the wardrobe locker was made.  Originally on the MPPT was under the bunk in the Alde space, which became the pump location. 

Blue no was original MPPT location (now the water pump area) and red no is the current location, on some 2020 TaB400s it was on the otherdie of the bulkhead from its original location, behind the new under hanging locker drawer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Kevin_KKevin_K Member Posts: 32
    Thanks all! I am also installing a 2nd MPPT and couldn’t find the original under the bed. Everything looked nice and neat in other posts and expected an easy install. Planning on putting a shunt in also, but things seem more complicated than they should be. Found a heavy duty lug connector area between outside storage and battery compartment, but I want to put the shunt in a location that is more accessible. Now the real question….
    can I simply tap into the battery wiring of the original MPPT or do I need to run a separate line from the 2nd MPPT to the battery? I don’t see lines from the primary MPPT to the battery, so I assume I only need to run a line to wherever the original lines go to.
    2021 Tab400 boondock, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    edited January 2023
    You should wire the second MPPT directly to the battery, with a 30-amp inline fuse.  

The original MPPT is located close to where the solar panel wires come into the TaB, and it’s wires are just large enough for one MPPT load.  A better location for the second MPPT controller, is in the rear outside accessible storage compartment, which is close to the battery.  You can connect it to the two lug battery wiring block (which is connected to the battery). Then you can have either a SAE plug on a wire you can pull out through the storage locker door, or mount the SAE connector on the trailer side next to the door for a permanent installation.  

If your TaB already has the SAE connector on the driver’s side, then just mount the MPPT controller near where SAE comes into the trailer, disconnect the wires going to the SAE plug (which are connected to the battery) and connect the wires to the battery side of the MPPT and wire the other connection to the SAE plug, and Bob’s your uncle... 
    cheers 
  • Kevin_KKevin_K Member Posts: 32
    Thanks Denny, after I posted my question, I figured it out. Don’t know why I was making a mountain out of a molehill when the wires are already there.
    2021 Tab400 boondock, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    edited January 2023
    No worries, this can be confusing.  Glad you got it sorted out OK.  B)
     cheers