Options

Hot water heater in a 2013 CSS HELP

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
Just started this thread to help out a newcomer.
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    GwenGwen Member Posts: 1
    Trying to find someone who knows how to do hot water heater. Does yours have a wetbath? Have never used and manual is no help. I think mine is a 2013. Shower never used. I think it's the water heater under the benchseat in my CSS ---"Alde" on it and it is a stainless cylindrical drum shape. There's a plug & electrical 110 outlet close to it. Please please enlighten me. I would love to use it.  email: gwen.conville@yahoo.com
    Thank you in advance.  ---Gwen
  • Options
    @Gwen - I did not think that TaBs had Alde’s until the 2014 model year, but maybe you have a unicorn!
    Do you have the slider analog control on the wall?  Have you checked the glycol level in the reservoir located behind the hatch over the toilet?  Make sure the Alde under the bench is plugged into the 120v outlet.  
    The Alde can run via electric when the TaB is plugged in and it can run on propane while on battery or on shorepower.

Lots to learn, but you will love the Alde!
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 351
    I found the Alde site had more useful manuals and discussion compared to the owners manual with the trailer. The Alde users guide was most helpful.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited January 2022
    I have a 2013 CSS and it has an electric water heater in that location and it only works on shore power. Be sure that the tank has water in it before you plug it in by drawing water into it by open the hot water tap. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    edited January 2022
    @Mickerly, on the tongue of the trailer, there may be a sticker with your model year (build date) of your trailer.
    Photos will definitely help the group sort out what trailer you have, an how your Alde works.  You are correct, the manuals from Alde are the best guide.  You should be using the Alde 3010 manual.
    There will be several things to check before the Alde will work well.
    If you are not on shore power....you need a healthy battery. 
    The Alde uses a fluid called "glycol" to produce heat.  Without enough glycol, the Alde will not work well. You can check your glycol level by finding the glycol expansion tank.
    All these things mentioned are in the Alde manual (except the expansion tank locations).
    Send some pictures of your Alde compartment.  Look on the driver's side of the tongue for your "build date".  Find your glycol expansion tank and check the glycol level.  Check the state of charge of  your battery.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Hopefully Gwen will return to the forum.  In an email exchange I am not sure if she has an Alde or a pre-Alde heater.  
  • Options
    @Marceline - do you heat the cabin with the Koolcat heat pump?  She told me she has a thermostat on the rear wetbath wall that controls the furnace under the driver side bench seat.  Sure sounds like she has an Alde.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Gwen describes her water heater as a “ it is a stainless cylindrical drum shape”, Alde heater/boilers are cube shaped when you look at them installed, not a stainless cylinder/tank shape.  This combined with the fact she has a 2013 TaB and nüCamp/Pleasant Valley didn’t start using the Alde until 2014, suggests she has a traditional AC/Shore powered water heater.  Photos would definitely help sort this out.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Marceline - do you heat the cabin with the Koolcat heat pump?  She told me she has a thermostat on the rear wetbath wall that controls the furnace under the driver side bench seat.  Sure sounds like she has an Alde.
    No. The thermostat controls an Atwood propane furnace. 
    The cylindrical water heater she’s describing sounds exactly like my electric water heater. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    @Marceline - where is the Atwood located?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    @Marceline - where is the Atwood located?
    Under the driver's side bench, towards the rear of the trailer. 
    I would be willing to bet that @Gwen's trailer is the same as mine. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    @Marceline I agree.  She says the thermostat is just like an old house thermostat:).  I have again encouraged her to return to the forum as I know you can help her!  Not sure why she said the hot water tank read "Alde"??
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited January 2022
    Marceline, I think you are spot one, and you could always send Gwen an email: gwen.conville@yahoo.com (from her first post), as she requested a reply via her email.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.