Comments

• Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 207

I'm definitely curious to see what others will say on this.

Is this a 2022 TAB320S Boondock?

2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited January 2022

@Rickmas and @Maple_Geek , take a look at this discussion for different possibilities. If it is a new trailer, and you are confident it is not a propane leak (doesn't sound like it since you describe it as a "chemical" smell), my guess would be that it is being caused by off-gassing from the wood stain or caulking/sealants inside the trailer. If so, airing out the trailer by opening all the windows, door and vent(s) for a few days or so will likely greatly reduce or eliminate the smell.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/146494#Comment_146494

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited January 2022

There is an Alde heat exchanger in the space behind the toilet, where the glycol expansion tank is located. You are probably smelling the various interior bits and adhesive used, that are off gasping, including the material used in the ceiling headliner and wall coverings. When we had our floor replaced, there was some strong off gasping from the adhesive used, took several months of warm weather with the trailer opened up (windows and roof vent open) and a small fan running. A YaB version of a “new car” smell.

Cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,701
    Another thing that can provide a nice acrid sort of smell would be empty gray tanks.  The shower area opens almost directly to the gray tank.  If that tank is completely empty,  without a bit of water and tank treatment, whatever organic material in the tank is just "fermenting."  I've had this happen once a while back when my "waste management" checklist was still under development.  (The smell I had was a bit more "acrid" compared to "new trailer smell.")  So, pour a little water in the shower drain, or maybe some water in the sink trap, too, and see if it helps.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    In addition to the grey tank odor as mentioned above, if the trailer is winterized, I’ve noticed that sometimes the antifreeze used in the drains can have a chemical smell that could be problematic to someone chemically sensitive. I’d suggest that you cover the drains tightly with plastic wrap to block any odor that might be coming from the plumbing, air out the trailer for a bit and then check. At least it would help rule out that possibility.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Also, you could just get an electric space heater (an oil filled radiator type unit would work) and a small fan, turn on both and partially open the front window and roof vent.  Leave it run for a week, and this should help if the issue is outgassing from the floor adhesive and other materials in a new trailer, that may be outgassing, if this is the issue.

The shower has some type of trap, which requires water in it to work, or it could have a HEPVO trap, which does not require water, you will need to contact nüCamp to determine which one you have.  A traditional dry trap will let tank odors into the trailer.  You should be able to see the washroom sink drain from the front access panel, a J/P shape is a traditional trap, which requires fluid to seal, a straight L shape is a HEPVO valve thst does not require water.  Check your galley sink drain also.  

From 2019 onwards most galley sink drains were waterless HEPVO traps, which do not require water or antifreeze to seal them.  They do not freeze as they do not retain water either.  It is good to know which type you have, so you know how to deal with trap issues.  Victoria’s suggestion to cover the sink/shower drains with cling wrap is a good one, to see if this is the source of the odor issue.

Cheers 
  • Options
    RickmasRickmas Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. It may be that there are two smells, one from off gassing of the cabinets and all of the plastic in the trailer and one from the Alde glycol. I'm positive it's not propane, which I've been around quite a bit. I also appreciate the thoughts about the drains. I've already put tape on the shower drain and made sure the sink drains are tightly sealed with the stopper. I've also used an electric heater to heat the inside and when the trailer is warmed up, I open the windows and vents. The smell doesn't seem to be as bad when I only use the electric heater, which is one reason I'm wondering if there are two smells.

As I mentioned in my previous email, there is a small air vent tube on the glycol expansion tank that allows air to escape when the glycol is expanding. It's also going to let fumes into the compartment when the glycol is hot, although it doesn't seem like it should be much. I'm wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn't hook the air vent tube to the overflow tube, which would allow the fumes to escape to the outside of the trailer. Since there is no fluid in the overflow tube air should be able to move freely in and out. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    I have never smelled any outgassing from the Alde Glycol, not has there been any previous reports of any issues like this.  What you may be smelling from the Alde, are the convectors heating up the cabinet work and finishes around them, which is resulting in additional outgassing.  It took a good month of airing out our TaB to get rid the new trailer outgassing smells.  The cassette toilet is next to the washroom, and is also getting warmed up.  The toilet also has chemicals in it, that could be adding to the strong smell coming from the compartment under the sink.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 464
    My nose appears to be working better than my eyes or ears and I sometimes notice a slight anti freeze smell as well. This is a well used 2015 (Dale's T@B) so it's not any "new" smell. Typically I only have the smell when the heating is starting up trying to get to the set temp. 

FWIW I also sometimes notice AF smell when pulling the Jeep into the garage and it doesn't lose coolant either. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2022
    We were concerned about the smell when we first bought our Tab. We don't notice it anymore, may have gotten used to it.
    I think I noticed that the black rubber hose that Alde uses, has a strong odor. Which might explain why it's stronger when you heat it up with the Alde.
    I'm pretty sure on mine the vent hose goes out through the floor, which wouldn't be any problem for you to extend it that way if you're comfortable drilling a hole in your floor.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya