Communication On the Road

Back in the '80s when I was making regular trips from NY to FL and back, I usually brought a CB radio along in case of traffic jams, needing local directions, etc. With cell phones being ubiquitous now I haven't used the CB in years, but since getting our T@B we've made two long trips out west traveling through a lot of no-coverage areas.
I know there are at least a few ham operators and probably others on the Forum who may know, so my question is: how much is CB used these days or have most folks moved over to other formats like GMRS. Considering that I won't be giving it a lot of use, is it worth buying a small GMRS unit or handheld, or would I do just as well dusting off the old CB?
Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
2019 Subaru Ascent Premium

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    A CB normally has a short range transmission, and is dependent on a local net like REACT to get emergency servies or travel info.  A CB is good for vehicle to vehicle comms when they are close enough.  Not sure how many of the old CB nets like REACT are up anymore, as many have shut down, being made redundant by cell phone networks.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • IndyParrotheadIndyParrothead Member Posts: 16
    It’s not difficult to pass the basic ham license test for the “technician” ham license. The advantage of a ham radio is the ability to not only transmit to and receive from others around you (like a CB radio) but can also take advantage of repeaters that pick up your transmission and rebroadcast it over a wide area. I know little about GMRS, but I believe there are also similar GMRS repeaters. You can pick up a good ham handheld radio for $69 or less but will be limited in range by its relatively low power. A mobile ham radio mounted in your vehicle is a great option and would have much more transmitting power and more features. Mobile radios run from about $100 to over $1K with the average around $250. One very cool feature of some ham radios is the ability to transmit your location and other information to other ham radios. This “APRS” feature will also permit your friends and family to see your location online. Check out aprs.fi on the web which will take you to a goggle map showing locations of hams as well as weather stations, repeaters, and other objects. While you can join ham radio clubs and enjoy that social experience, I went the ham radio route mostly for it’s utility whilst traveling. 
    Jeff & Janie weekending in our 2021 T@B 400 Boondock pushing a 2022 Ford F-150 3.5L twin turbo.
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    CB is pretty dead except for the radio Rambo's which is why mine is usually off and I suspect others too. When traveling I do tend to monitor because at least some truckers still have one and it can be a useful tool for weather and traffic hazards. Just be prepared for lots of tough talks foul language and generally low IQ behavior.

I am also a licensed amateur radio operator, Extra Class-N7SHG and have a mobile radio where I can talk. Like CB, often amateur radio frequencies in the VHF-UHF bands is dead, no one necessarily monitoring even the repeater frequencies and without a repeater, those Technician class frequencies are typically pretty short range topping out generally at around 100 miles typically, those bands are line of sight radio to radio. I have had conversations out to about 150 miles mountain top to mountain top, but that isn't typical, especially in a vehicle.

If you get licensed as a General or Extra Class and can get on the HF bands, you can usually have a conversation at long distances (HF bounces off ionosphere and can be used for communication for 1000's of miles depending on power, space weather, etc.), but bear in mind only a small percentage of amateurs have a mobile HF rig installed. So you won't be making local contacts typically, but can probably talk to someone someplace if you have an emergency, maybe even in another country. I have made contacts from Oregon to Hawaii, Canada and around USA with a very modest setup running low power and a wire for an antenna. Better antennas and way more power potentially gets you around the world. Amateur radio is a wide field, you can spend as much it little as you want, depends on what you want to do.

I also more recently started carrying a couple different satellite communication devices, one essentially a wifi hot spot that goes to an Inmarsat satellite in space and another basic texting device that uses the Iridium satellite network. Both are subscription and not necessarily inexpensive, but when you need comms they pretty much work if you have open sky line of sight to the satellite. I would probably go with one of the latter devices (I have a Zoleo, but other services are offered from Garmin, etc.) as these will allow you to get an SOS out and do short texts from just about anyplace on earth.

And of course there are cell phones which do tend to be spotty, but generally work along major highways, but out west I wouldn't count on that in emergency situations.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • schwartzkischwartzki Member Posts: 46
    Garmin InReach Mini is a excellent standby device (abit with a subscription) for frequent travel off cell networks. It runs off the Iridium Satellite network and has SOS, texting and location tracking. Pretty important tool for Overlanders, Backpackers, etc when traveling off grid
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock (7200+ miles)
    2022 - 11 trips - 34 nights
    2023 - 4 trips - 21 nights and counting
    --------------------------------------------------
    2018 BMW X5 xDrive35d (17 mpg towing avg)
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road (10.9 mpg towing avg)
    @schwartzki the Garmin line if satellite products is similar to the Zoleo product that I mentioned. I went with Zoleo due to less initial cost ($200), low monthly cost ($20) on basic plan ability to seeamlesly use wifi, cell and satellite all in the app and finally ability to suspend service for $4 a month in off season if you have one.

The Zoleo can send SOS and check INS direct from device, but has no keyboard, so must have BT to your phone to message. In a year I have sent ca couple test messages, but haven't had to use it for emergency cases. The device is also able to get weather for your location which is nice.

Both probably comparable products and I believe there are another one or two, all have the same basic ability to get a message out if needed.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited January 2022
    Possibly a dumb question, but can the satellite communicators (InReach, Spot, Zoleo, Bivy stick, etc.) be used to summon roadside assistance, or are they strictly for being lost in the woods/life or death/medical crisis type situations? My biggest fear in areas without cell service is mechanical breakdown, and I’ve seen mixed answers about whether or not that sort of thing is covered.

Edit to add: Well, Spot now offers “Save our Vehicle” assistance at an additional cost. I’d prefer a device that uses the Iridium network though as I’ve heard it’s more consistently reliable.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    I carry a personal locator beacon but mostly for hiking. One time purchase and no subscription but also no texting or other communications. It’s only for search and rescue location. The upside is it can be triggered with only one hand while your other hand is occupied with spraying the bear spray or fending off the mountain lion. 
    Jeff & Janie weekending in our 2021 T@B 400 Boondock pushing a 2022 Ford F-150 3.5L twin turbo.
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Thanks for the replies. I think @N7SHG_Ham pretty much summed up the info I was looking for in his first paragraph:
    "CB is pretty dead except for the radio Rambo's which is why mine is usually off and I suspect others too. When traveling I do tend to monitor because at least some truckers still have one and it can be a useful tool for weather and traffic hazards. Just be prepared for lots of tough talks foul language and generally low IQ behavior."  GMRS seems to be the current tech popular with overlanders and off-road clubs, so I was wondering how much it had cut into CB use for monitoring weather, traffic, etc. while on the highways.

Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 960
    We have a Garmin inReach Explorer that I picked up last year to use when I through hiked the Colorado Trail.  It worked really well when I was in the backcountry to update people on my location and to arrange re-supply.  I still use it now when I ski the backcountry, go backpacking and go off fishing in the mountains.  We also carry it in the truck when traveling in case of emergency or if we break down we can at least communicate with family who can arrange a tow or other non-emergency help if needed.  Luckily have never had to use it other than for normal updates on location or how things are going. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
    @VictoriaP, only familiar with Zoleo, but that can only do texts and E-mail. Only short text only versions too, no images. Unlikely you would be able to summon road service direct, but you might be able to contact a friend or family member who could. You can send texts or email to anyone and it links to your phone contacts so you have all those automatically.

There are satellite phones and satellite data terminals that work similar to a mifi hotspot, but via satellite rather than cell. I have one of those too for work and can wifi to my laptop and do anything I need with internet connectivity, HOWEVER, the device is not inexpensive and the airtime is very expensive, BUT if you need connectivity for emergency use it is worth it. Check out the iSavi device on the Inmarsat satellite network as a entry point into that realm.
    @Travelin3D, GMRS might be used locally and I don't know about it, but haven't heard a lot and I am part of my County SAR unit. GMRS is a FCC licensed service and it is UHF frequencies. I don't think it is hard to get a license, but you do need one. That service can have repeaters. Another option might be MURS, that is unlicensed and VHF which should have better distance unit to unit, but power is limited. I have heard some traffic on MURS.

I would still say for general info when traveling that rough and tumble CB land is still probably best bet. Look for CB's that also get NOAA weather and maybe some of the MURS or GMRS radios might offer that too. I have a bank of memories on a commercial VHF radio for the weather and another for MURS and my CB radio also has the NOAA weather frequencies.
    I thought I would pass along a link to the RV Radio Network, a ham radio group who RV part-time and full time. Check them out at rvradionetwork.com . They have nets thru the week and a Thursday evening net on EchoLink. 
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @VictoriaP I have the Garmin inReach (full size). I'm able to text my Sister when I arrive at camp if there isn't cell service. I could also use it to text her if I need roadside assistance. I have preprogrammed messages with my roadside info I can send her. Texting directly on the inReach is tedious though as it's old-school using up/down arrows to select the letters, or blue tooth to a cell phone works too. Anyway, I called Garmin to ask about using the SOS for roadside, in the event a message isn't received by my sister for help. They checked and yes, it would work. Whomever receives the SOS will know you are able to text and will ask what you need. The yearly/monthly fees have changed. I'm paying $12/month now.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    dsfdogs said:
    @VictoriaP I have the Garmin inReach (full size). I'm able to text my Sister when I arrive at camp if there isn't cell service. I could also use it to text her if I need roadside assistance. I have preprogrammed messages with my roadside info I can send her. Texting directly on the inReach is tedious though as it's old-school using up/down arrows to select the letters, or blue tooth to a cell phone works too. Anyway, I called Garmin to ask about using the SOS for roadside, in the event a message isn't received by my sister for help. They checked and yes, it would work. Whomever receives the SOS will know you are able to text and will ask what you need. The yearly/monthly fees have changed. I'm paying $12/month now.
    Thanks for checking with Garmin, good to know!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I have used SPOT and now use the Garmin inReach.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    We always camp (hike & kayak) with our Zoleo mainly for the ease of the contacts but does require the phone which we always have for Gaia GPS. I just accept I need a solar or battery recharger for the two in the back country. The Zoleo's charge is fine for many days, the phone with only BT active is less of a hog but in this mode I make it last for the weekend. Note that SOS and incremental movement does not require the phone. It's water resistant similar to the new higher end phones.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network