Options

Newbie Camper Here

Hello everyone my name is April and I am a first time owner of a travel trailer. I am super excited to be apart of the growing community of nuCamp T@b owners. I purchased a 2022 Tab 320- CS-S Boondock. I live in Arizona and plan to travel and work remote and see different parts of the United States in the future. However I am looking for any tips or tricks anyone has for a first time owner that I should know about. I look forward to getting to know all of you :)

2022 T@b 320CS-S Boondock
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 
Phoenix, AZ
Instagram: adventuring_april

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    April,

Congratulations and welcome to one of the best forums I have ever been a member of.

There are so many things to share, so I will start with something that seems quite simple. As you buy things for your 320, think about things that can be used for multiple tasks or things that stack together well to save space. We were backpacking previously, so multiuse is important.

Example, we use Sea to Summit lightweight alpha pots. We have 2 of them that fit inside of each other. 

Most importantly, get out and get some nights in before you start to accumulate a bunch of stuff that you may never use or need.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    adventuringapriladventuringapril Member Posts: 15
    Brad,

Thank you for that insight. Me and my wife previously tried back packing and have done it a hand full of times and have tons of gear for it and car camping. SO I am hoping a lot of that gear can just be migrated over to the trailer to begin. I like the approach to take it out a few times before over buying things I won't ever use or need. 

April
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 
    Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Hey, April!
    Looks like you are already doing things right. Picking up trailer at Tom's Camperland in Winter is one heck of a lot smarter than when it's 112 degrees in June!
    Since we share similar weather conditions within 300 mile radii, and since yours' is a Boondock model with solar, you may want to feel out best rigging for boondocking May through September (if that's your thing). We found that parking in shade substantially reduces cabin temperatures... but also diminishes solar. Suitcase (portable) solar panel(s) tethered out in sun is viable option. If you're gone during the day and not there to optimize sun exposure, you still get enough charge to be at 100% state-of-charge at sunset.
    We also removed the 3-way fridge and replaced it with highly efficient 2-way. Too many hours at high cabin temperatures and the 3-way fridge could not keep up.
    Good luck, and definitely put the Chiricahua's on your destination list!
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    Go over to the left side of the page...click through the topics.  See the things that have been covered extensively.  Some of them won't be relevant exactly to your model and year.....but you will discover "you don't know what you don't know", and things you never imagined that might be important! 
    Those topics are a huge iceberg of data and knowledge and experience.  If you are good at searching and sifting, it helps a lot.
    Your questions: are important.  The Forums haven't seen many 2022's. Or 2021s, even.    The entire Tab "iceberg" needs your questions to sort out how the answer might be different from the earlier model years. 
    So...ask questions. 
    And...camp for a while before you try to make the trailer a convertible or something! :)The mods on my trailer are minimal.  Simple is better for a while.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Welcome!

Test everything at home by camping for a few days in the comfort of your own driveway. Given that you have a 12v fridge, and you’re planning on working remotely, you’ll have higher power consumption needs than some of us here. If you are planning on primarily boondocking, you may need to give serious consideration to upgrading your battery capacity, and possibly supplementing your onboard solar capacity too. The stock 100w panel and group 24 lead acid battery the dealer typically installs at purchase likely aren’t going to be up to your power needs…though as long as you’re in the Southwest, you at least have the advantage of plentiful sunlight!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    Check out the blog “Travelswiththetiny.com”.  She wrote a book about her Nomad experience.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I suggest upgrading to a lithium battery. You basically get double the capacity in same size battery.  I'm not sure if the 320 also comes with the lithium compatible converter or not so you would need to confirm that.  
  • Options
    adventuringapriladventuringapril Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for all the advice everyone :) I been hearing a lot of campers switching to the Lithium batteries. Would a dealership be able to tell me if I have the compatible converter?
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 
    Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    In a 2022 you most likely have the newer converter. Open it up and look for a "lithium" switch over in the upper left hand corner. Or, take a look at the converter model number and look it up.

And: all converters in the trailers will charge a lithium battery, but only up to "about" 80 to 85 percent.  (Depending on how the internet feels that day.)  Your solar setup in the trailer will completely charge a lithium battery.  If you are camping all the time with full hookups, the battery isn't really a factor.  If you boondock a lot, the solar will completely charge your battery, and they converter model doesn't matter.  This web page shows what basically to look for in your converter for the magic "lithium switch". 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Congratulations and welcome to the Tab family! I don’t do a lot of Boondocking in my 2017 320S, but I had the dealer install a group 27 battery when I picked it up and paid the difference. After five years it still holds a great charge and I live in four seasons country. Just a thought. As for gear, lots of great suggestions here! I had a three tier system: 1) what do I need for operating the systems? Tools, sewer hose, that kind of stuff. 2) what do I need for basics like cooking, cleaning, clothes, rain gear, etc. 3) Camping gear, and what sings to me, makes me happy when I see it? There was so much to purchase the first year that I had to stop, and spread the larger purchases out to other years, like my portable solar panels, screen room, etc.

Have fun no matter what you decide, and enjoy your journey! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red