Options

Outside Exterior Rack for the 400

In drifting in the ether, I found this pic. It is of the European 400 model. It would limit how far you can open the rear window, but I’ve never opened mine more than a few inches. 
400 - 2019
St Catharines, ON

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    As a fellow 400 owner my only concern would be using that window if needed as an emergency exit. From the picture it seems like you would not be able to get around the rack, and in a true emergency that could be it for you.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Yes, the rear window in US market is the emergency exit.  The EU model TaB400 rear window is electrically controlled and doesn’t open that far.  That rear rack is only for carrying light weight bulky gear.  Not sure I would want to install one, it also blocks the nice view out the rear Statgazer window.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    I do appreciate the exit function of the rear window; but how do you actually open it to crawl out ? It has two support stays. Even if the window comes out of the track at the top, it is held by the stays. So I guess you lay on your back in the berth and kick and hope  it open. Hardly an emergency exit !
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    RCB said:
    I do appreciate the exit function of the rear window; but how do you actually open it to crawl out ? It has two support stays. Even if the window comes out of the track at the top, it is held by the stays. So I guess you lay on your back in the berth and kick and hope  it open. Hardly an emergency exit !
    Now you have me wondering about the “exit” windows on the 320 as well. I would think an emergency exit would have a quick release latch for the support struts, but I don’t remember seeing one…
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    The support strut mounts are plastic, pretty sure if you were in a hurry to get out that the plastic would fail pretty easily.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I like being able to look through the rear window when driving.  That is a good view of what is behind me when traveling.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Me too, the older TaBs rear window was a bit lower, making this easy to see out the back.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    The support struts on my 2019 - 400 are aluminum and would probably just bend and deform if abused. I found no instructions in the manual about this ‘exit’. Is it an RV Manufacturers requirement or more of a sales thing ?
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Having a second emergency exit is a code requirement, in addition being a good idea, in case of a galley fire, or other emergency where the main door may be blocked.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    TABNewbiesTABNewbies Member Posts: 90
    As Europeans we read the ultra small print on the USA window and annually perform emergency drills opening fully, diving through the space and exiting the rear window in case the 2m of space to the left was otherwise blocked to the door. After all the exit may be behind you. I trust all USA and Canadian(?) located 400 owners do the same?
    2021 T@B 400 BD T@bitha with 2016 Highlander
    Juliet and Andy in Massachusetts
  • Options
    Practicing using the emergency exit is a grand idea @TABNewbies, everyone should at least practice this at least one time, if not annually.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    For those of us that are less than say "flexible" at diving out a window I would love a quick video on the use of the emergency exit in the 400. Anyone every done that?

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    @RCB, yes, the struts are aluminum but as I noted the mounts, and the ends of the struts are plastic. Pretty sure if I were in a hurry that I could get myself through and out.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC