Options

Factory solar panel peeling

Our panel is peeling at the leading edge. Still works great. I’m thinking about putting some Gorilla Tape on it. Is that a bad idea?
2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
Jeff & Amy
Now in Manistee, MI

Comments

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    I'd mask it off with painter tape to protect the roof finish, then us some kind of crazy glue to reattach the film. Although I'm sure someone will come along with a better idea. :p
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    AnOldUR said:
    I'd mask it off with painter tape to protect the roof finish, then us some kind of crazy glue to reattach the film. Although I'm sure someone will come along with a better idea. :p
    Maybe 3M spray adhesive.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    The factory panels are from Sunflare. I’d contact them directly and ask. Please post if you get an answer.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    If anyone else finds this thread in the future:  the panels have a "protective" layer of plastic that seems to be removable, like the film over a new cell phone screen (just much stickier).  The manufacturers say to leave the "film" on the panel.  Here is one thread...but it doesn't come back with a good answer. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited February 2022
    @JeffroNC Look at Eternabond tape. I used it on the leading (windward) edge of my panels when I did the initial install and it worked well.
    Edit: It is designed as a permanent sealer on seams for rolled rubber roofing.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    I'd Mask off the roof, use 3M spray glue under it. Smooth it out with the edge of a credit care to get any bubbles out of it.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    Eternabond tape works awesome.  I keep a roll in the trailer for emergencies.  On our old trailer we got a leak around the fantastic fan during a trip.   I used eternabond tape over the factory sealant and figured I'd use dicor sealant at some point for a permanent fix.  After two years I never had to since the eternabond tape was still holding and keeping any water from getting in. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Thanks all. Yes, it is a film layer over the panel that is peeling and not the panels bond to the roof. It might be a couple weeks before I have a ladder to use. I only saw it because we were on the Ocracoke ferry in NC. (DW also pointed out that the roof was dirty. :smile:)
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 377
    Hi,  I just noticed that my solar panel is also peeling on the corner (and a small spot middle)  of my 2021 320 BD.  I've searched and do not see any answers if this is a concern or not?  Just wondering if anyone has anything new they have learned. I have calls into my dealer and  Sun flare.  I'll post what I hear.  Thank you

in the  
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited April 2022
    That is not the solar panel peeling, it is the thin protective film that is on top the panel.  One TaB owner saw this, and was told by a dealer it was a protective film that could be removed, like the ones on new TV displays.  Turns out, nuCamp or the panel’s manufacturer, Solarflare recommended keeping it on.  However, it doesn’t seem to effect the panel’s operation.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    That sort of makes sense.  My dealer has already responded back to me and is looking into it.  Still have not heard from Solarflare.  The few posts I saw never really says for sure what the manufacturer says about it.  Thank you
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    That second photo looks like it got scraped by something. A tree branch, maybe?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Hi, 

I never heard back from the manufacturer but did reach out to a company called GTFOverland who said they are their East coast distributor, and this is what they said which lines up with other posts.  

"The best way to remediate this, is by taking a brand-new, very sharp razorblade, and cut the peeling bits away from the rest of the panel. It's kind of like clipping fingernails, but if you wanted to have zero overgrowth. (Sorry for the weird analogy, but it does illustrate the point.)

The panel won't suffer at all without that thin film on it, but you do want to trim it back enough so it does not continue to peel. Holler at me if you have any questions at all. I'm also happy to jump on the phone if it helps"

Just wanted to pass an what I heard.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    edited May 2022
    Been a while since I posted but this issue had developed both on mine and my parents 2019 tabs.  We were told the same thing, that it was a protective layer that can be removed.  WRONG!  Shortly after removing this, the solar panels bubbled up and stopped working as efficiently.  I called NuCamp and they referred me to an engineer at Sunflare Solar.  They actually sent two of their engineers to come look at it and helped us replace them with new ones.  In the end they determined that there was a defect in that manufacturing process that bonds that protective layer, which is purposely bonded to provide the UV resistance to the panel.  It is important to keep that on the panel or it will fail shortly after that.  They do carry a 15 year warranty so I would contact Sunflare directly and have them send you a new one.  It was great that NuCamp helped us even out of warranty get in contact with Sunflare and how prompt they were in replacing the panel.  We even got to help them with the process, they were great guys from Sunflare.
  • Options
    DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 57
    Mine was peeling a little in a corner and I peeled it the rest of the way off last year. Found out that was a bad idea, as it's a UV protection film that, if removed, will cause premature deterioration of the panel. So I contacted NuCamp and showed them photos and they shipped a new solar panel. The dealership is putting it on right now. 
  • Options
    aponteluisaponteluis Member Posts: 6
    I noticed mine was scratched on top. Probably happened when it was delivered to the dealership, but I didn't catch until three weeks after I had picked it up.  Also the corners were peeling a bit.  I pulled back some of the material and asked NuCamp if this was normal. They said "This cover should not be peeled off, however the solar panel will still operate and works as it should without this clear cover.".
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I've just taken an exacto knife to one edge that was peeling and sliced it off. Hopefully that will mitigate the spread a bit. That coating seems really delicate and I can totally see how a branch could gouge it. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    aponteluisaponteluis Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2022
    In my 2022 Tab 320S I noticed the film a bit loose around the edges.  I started peeling off the film about four inches from the corners. The adhesive is very strong and most of it remains on the panel. I stopped removing the film because I thought something was not right. I reached out to NuCamp tech support regarding the clear film and they said the cover should not be peeled off, however the solar panel will still operate and works as it should without this clear cover.

From a vendor's website:
    NOTE: DO NOT attempt to peel off the top sheet of your solar panel. This is protective top layer that is not meant to be removed. OK4WD installer techincians recommend using adhesive A1W01790893. Please contact an OK4WD sales agent to order today.

https://ok4wd.com/brands/sunflare-solar/sunflare-solar-sunflare-105w-solar-panel-sunflex35-nr-105w-ok
  • Options
    Hi  @aponteluis ,  I do see where the website says that, but  looking close at the adhesive's characteristics, to me it does not seem like it should be used to paste the top layer back to the solar panel.  To me , it looks more like sealant to attach the solar panel to the TAB.  I don't know either way.  When I contacted them directly , they said just to remove any peeling film and did not mention about using the sealant (see above).  Just curious..tks
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland