Options

Fuel Prices

boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
It is sad to see America so dependent on overseas oil again, which has put us in the position we are in, soaring gas prices. A few short months ago we were producing our own, independent, which resulted in affordable pump prices. Of course, the sad situation in Ukraine does not help, pray for those people.
For us our travels will be a bit less this year, closer to home camping spots, how will the pump prices affect your travel.

2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited March 2022
    Political content deleted.  Moderator

“Prohibited Content:
      Comments, discussions, or images pertaining to politics, religion, race, ethnicity, sex, or sexual preferences are prohibited and will be removed.”

For us, we will still do what we would like to do, our cuts will be made in other things while traveling. Instead of eating out, we will cook at camp and take food along for our day trips.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    +1 :) 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    LOL, removed my comments...... 

I guess some people can't handle the truth or don't want to admit to it.
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,290
    edited March 2022
    boonie said:
    A few short months ago we were producing our own, independent, which resulted in affordable pump prices.
    ????????
    Dutch061 said:
    I guess some people can't handle the truth or don't want to admit to it.
    Although this is not the place for political discussion and the Moderator did the right thing, I'm still disappointing that I missed this. I've belonged to other forums where they have categories dedicated to these types of off-topic discussions. In truth, I'm glad that it doesn't exist here, because it's way too easy to get sucked into emotionally driven topics.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    Fuel prices are part of the choice we made when we decided to begin using a trailer and TV. My expectation is that prices would rise no matter what the geopolitical situation. We plan to travel and stay longer at each destination. Just common sense really. Really makes you think about the possibilities for electric or other technologies that do not rely on our limited fossil fuel supplies. Glad to see some manufacturers are working in this direction. 

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    edited March 2022
    boonie said:
    It is sad to see America so dependent on overseas oil again, which has put us in the position we are in, soaring gas prices. A few short months ago we were producing our own, independent, which resulted in affordable pump prices.
    US dependence on foreign crude oil has been steadily decreasing and is far lower than in 2001. It’s the red line on this chart. 
    https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=51338
    And as you can see on the chart (orange line), the US is actually a next exporter of petroleum products (like gasoline).
    US crude oil production: https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=WCRFPUS2&f=W
    But when the price of crude jumps on the international market, domestic producers also jack up their prices. Our ample domestic production doesn’t insulate us from price shocks on the international market. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Charging electric vehicles is far from free and the reality is that over 60% of the electricity generated is from coal or gas fired power plants. Add in the fact that in some states there is a perpetual brown out condition due to insufficient power available and it makes it worse. 

Part of my removed comment was in regard to the amount of oil in the Dakotas, but I guess it was deemed "politically charged".
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    At this time, we are full timing in a 30', 10,000 lb travel trailer. Commitments require us to return to Michigan the first of May. When we left in December, the $2.75 per gallon was calculated into our travel budget and we had some leeway if prices rose to slightly above $3.00 per. We get about 6 miles to the gallon while towing with our chevy 2500hd pick-up, and we may actually have to borrow a bit to get home. But these are some of the consequences for the lifestyle we have chosen. No one made us do this. As soon as our commitments are met, we will again leave Michigan as gypsies and (somewhat) carefree travelers. I will not complain about the higher prices or bemoan our dismal fuel economy. I choose to revel in the change of scenery as we go and savor new tastes and experiences. I rejoice that I am not dodging bombardments or bullets. I send prayers to those who are. And, while the number of miles I can travel may be curtailed by rising prices, I will still travel. And be thankful.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    I will not complain about the higher prices or bemoan our dismal fuel economy. I choose to revel in the change of scenery as we go and savor new tastes and experiences.
    My wife and I will be heading out for an extended road trip on Monday. Thinking positive has me not worrying that higher fuel prices will mean we travel fewer miles each day, but that we will get to experience more of what each State has to offer.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Assigning cause to the PPB for oil misses one of the major causes of the increases, refinery capacity. While Covid slowed domestic travel and consequently reduced demand for gasoline, gasoline suppliers took refineries off-line and in some cases mothballed them. No demand, no production. In a double whammy, numerous refineries went off-line due to storm damage. Texas and Louisiana were affected. The Colonial Pipeline was shut down.  Texas and Louisiana were also astonishingly unprepared for the effects of cold/freezing weather. 
    Now, masks off, vaccine protected, back to full swing with extra cash in our wallets, off we go. Demand for fuel skyrocketed at a time when refinery capacity is down and at a time when oil prices are high. Gas prices largely reflect increased demand. Oil PPB is just one more factor... Oil availability is far down on the list of reasons for the increased prices.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2022
    Yes, prices at the gas pump is more than crude oil supply issues and prices.  It does effect the price, but a lot of other factors, like those listed above also effect the price more.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    montanahopemontanahope Member Posts: 10
    We all know why prices have increased and w
    ho caused them like other things and inflation.
    I see gas at $4.50 this summer so The only way to look at this positive is that other campsites will now be open because people won’t be able to afford to travel in their RVs.
    I think this will affect the whole Rv market in the next year or two and amount of RVs sold will start to decrease significantly unless gas goes down .

• Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Makes me wish we still had the 2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, glad to have kept our 2006 VW Jetta TDI in like-new condition.  EcoDiesel lots of low-rpm torque and 18-20 mpg towing 8000 lb Airstream, 28-30 mpg solo; even at higher diesel cost still remarkable fuel economy.

T@b 400 on order, will tow with 2021 Honda Ridgeline.  It won't do as well, plus higher price of fuel.  

We need a camper for lots of annual long distance travel (hotels are often a disappointment, sometimes disgusting).  

Maybe we should consider switching order to T@b 320 BD.  Thoughts?

Doug K
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    Glad I bought a hybrid last year. Electric isn't free but plugging in is cheaper than filing up. I do get free charges at the campground site.....for now!
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    Fuel is an international commodity.

Commodity Investors (speculators) cause most of the oil price changes.
    While an individual nation policies or actions can result in a change in global oil prices.
    It is the Commodity Investors view of risk that set the real-world "gasoline" price
    . . . with maybe a bit of corporate greed . . .

The only solution for the average fuel user is to Buy Less Fuel
    or accept the situation and continue consuming - - -
    P.S.
    U.S.A. is still the largest exporter of oil / oil products for 2022 as has been the case
    for several years.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    We all know why prices have increased and who caused them like other things and inflation.
    Four posts in? You must be lost.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,009
    AnOldUR said:
    We all know why prices have increased and who caused them like other things and inflation.
    Four posts in? You must be lost.
    👍
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Truth sounds like hate, to those who hate the truth.

Remember the 2 greatest commandments.

Love your God with all of your heart, mind, and strength
    Love your neighbor as you love yourself

This will either get deleted or edited!
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    I can feel the stress we all may be feeling at this moment, but one thing I like about this forum is that everyone tries to help one another without regard to their level of ability or their opinions. That is what I appreciate about all who participate. My truth is that @Dutch061 has helped me and given me many insights over the past couple of years, and I hope he will continue to provide those. However, if any post is not related to the purpose of this forum, it is best expressed elsewhere. I think each of us can make that judgement before we click on "Post Comment". Our volunteer moderators I am sure would appreciate us for that.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    I completely agree with Dutch's response and that statement he made is the reason the pump prices are what they are, you can try to spin it any other way. Please, spare the electric comments, that is not the way, it is only a temporary high.
    I was not entering a debate when I posted, it was a simple straight question.
    Dutch's response was truth, seems we have lost that these days :(
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    boonie said:
    Dutch's response was truth, seems we have lost that these days.

@Dutch061's statements express his beliefs and opinions as do yours. They are debatable, but not here. There is a time and place to express your opinion or share your knowledge. This is a forum dedicated to T@B trailers. Politics and religion (along with other controversial topics) have no place. Discussions on fuel prices and how they affect us belong. A discussion placing blame on those prices (or anything else) does not.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    edited March 2022
    I've owned oil stocks for many years.  Global Marine....Kemet...Tuboscope, etc.  Oil shipping, oil pipelines.  Watched the ebb and flow of gas prices since about 1980.  All comes down to "Rig Count", which Baker Hughes has done for a long long time.  Of course, if we had the secret, repressed, 100 mile per gallon carburetors that the oil companies banned long ago, we wouldn't have this issue at all. :'(  Note the rig count increase year over year from 2021.  The rigs are struggling to catch up.  This data is from...yesterday.  The thought of turning gas prices at a whim is a fantasy.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    AnOldUR said:
    boonie said:
    Dutch's response was truth, seems we have lost that these days.

@Dutch061's statements express his beliefs and opinions as do yours. They are debatable, but not here. There is a time and place to express your opinion or share your knowledge. This is a forum dedicated to T@B trailers. Politics and religion (along with other controversial topics) have no place. Discussions on fuel prices and how they affect us belong. A discussion placing blame on those prices (or anything else) does not.

For what it is worth, nowhere did I accuse or blame anyone for anything in my post at 6:44 AM on March 5th. As far as referring to it as beliefs and opinions, I made a statement followed by a quote from a book. 

The post I made on March 4th referenced an opinion - belief and it was swiftly deleted. 

I can only suggest that each of you look at the facts and make a decision based on that factual information rather than emotional information.

This is my last comment to this thread. 

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    I've owned oil stocks for many years.  Global Marine....Kemet...Tuboscope, etc.  Oil shipping, oil pipelines.  Watched the ebb and flow of gas prices since about 1980.  All comes down to "Rig Count", which Baker Hughes has done for a long long time.  Of course, if we had the secret, repressed, 100 mile per gallon carburetors that the oil companies banned long ago, we wouldn't have this issue at all. :'(  Note the rig count increase year over year from 2021.  The rigs are struggling to catch up.  This data is from...yesterday.  The thought of turning gas prices at a whim is a fantasy.

Just don’t try driving your RV or trailer through the Permian Basin. Last time we did we had to replace the hood of our vehicle because of a quarter-sized rock thrown from one of the fracking trucks among the hordes of them that mangle the highways in the area. We didn’t experience a “frack-quake” fortunately. Those are becoming more and more frequent. If you drive there at night, you can easily imagine you are in a war zone given all the flaring taking place at the rigs. Cost of doing the oil business, I suppose. We’re used to it here in Texas.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX