Options

Tab 400 stock solar panel on front of 320?

Because I live in the often dreary northwest, a 100 watt solar panel is frequently inadequate; as such, I have a portable 200 watt Bluetti suitcase paired with a Victron 75/15 controller. Which is fine IF I’m in camp to keep an eye on it, but that isn’t always practical, and of course a portable panel is useless while driving or while the trailer is in storage.

So I want to install a panel on the 320, in the same location as the factory install (above the front window), and I’d definitely prefer to max out the production from that space while looking as close to stock as possible. Is there any reason that the 180 watt panel used on the 400 won’t work in that location? I know it won’t produce to its fullest ability mounted to that curve, but then again, neither will the 105 watt if I have to settle for that. I’ve measured the trailer and that area is approximately 40”x70”, while the specs on the Sunflare site indicate the panel is 38.9”x65.4”, so it seems like it should be fine. I’m just concerned about the curve being too drastic for the larger panel. 

Has anyone had this 180 watt panel installed on the front of a 320, or conversely, been told it can’t be done? 

Reference: https://www.sunflarexplor.com/xplor-series (scroll down for measurements)
2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
2020 Subaru Outback XT
Pacific NW

Comments

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited March 2022
    @VictoriaP Perhaps the panel will be too vertical to be effective if it runs 40" down the front. I remember the back being near an optimal angle for my latitude.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2022
    I agree, the back angle of the TaB offers a better solar panel to sun angle, and you will get more watts from the panel.  The solar panel is mounted on the back of the TaB400 and this works out well, even here in the Pacific Northwest coast.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited March 2022
    Sigh. Thanks @CrabTab & @Denny16

That’s definitely a concern, and yes, I figured the rear is a better location as far as the curve goes. Aesthetically, I dislike the look of having a large panel behind the fan on the 320 (a 100 watt back there doesn’t stand out as much to me), plus the MaxxFan’s built in cover extends back a good six inches behind the back edge of the fan itself, so I can’t mount the panel as high. 
    More thought required, I guess. There’s an overlanding supply store & installer locally that actually carries Sunflare, maybe I need to go have a chat with them about options.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    @Verna you have 2 panels on your 320. Isn’t one the larger, 400 panel?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited March 2022
    I have the 105 watt panel in front of the roof fan and I have a 210 watt panel behind the roof. vent. The 210 watt panel is the panel that is normally used on the Cirrus truck camper. 

I have never had to use my portable 100 watt or portable 200 watt panels as the two panels equaling 310 watts are plenty to keep my dual AGM Harris batteries charged. I have never plugged my T@B into electricity at home as the solar panel keep the batteries fully charged. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    I found the post @Verna!

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited March 2022
    Here is a picture with the panels on the back roof from my build. Not the Sunflare panels, but they are 40" long and match the measurement of the width you are thinking of installing. 

Hope this helps...

Edit: After looking at my picture it occurred to me that you may not be able to fit the 65" Sunflare length between the Yakima tracks in the direction you desire, if you have them.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 618
    Based on the 320 picture above the Sunflare panel should fit.   A more space efficient option may be the Renogy 175W flexible panel (59"x26").  It's only 26" wide, so it would have better vertical light absorption.  I installed two Renogy panels on our 400 and have been very happy with them.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Thanks all! I’m going to be digging through options and looking at pics of retrofit installs while I think this though further, so your replies do help.

@Horigan Did you use the 175 watt panels? There are so many bad reviews on the Renogy 175w (both in terms of very early failure and the subsequent lack of customer service) that I’ve been leery of going that route. I have nothing against Renogy, my first suitcase was a 100 watt soft cased Eclipse they don’t even make anymore, it performs beautifully and I definitely recommend their portables. But for a permanent install, I want something I know isn’t going to fail before I most likely turn this rig over to the next owner a year or two down the road. Trying to remove a panel & VHB tape from the Tab without damaging the trailer doesn’t sound like fun.

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 618
    @VictoriaP
    I haven't used their 175W panels.  I've only used their 100W panels, which have been good so far in less than a year.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA