Options

Tires for 2018 320S Boondock

PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
I have a second-hand 2018 320S Boondock.  I am assuming the tires are the original (Westlake CR857+; size ST235/75R15; Load Range C).  I'm thinking that, since they are 4 years old, perhaps I should change the tires this year.  I've read a number of threads on this forum about tires--my head is spinning.

I see recommendations for General Grabber AT, but not seeing that tire available in my size at my local Discount Tire store (which is where I am most likely to purchase my tires).

I searched the Discount Tire website by tire size and then I searched on trailer tires, and got totally different results.  Should I be looking at trailer tires or no?

Recommendations?
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,656
    Yes, on trailer tires. Your local tire store may or may not have a good idea of what to use on a trailer, so you might try expanding your vendor search.  Not sure if you ahve seen this thread, but there is a stack of stuff about trailer tires.  Toward the end of the thread, there is a discussion of a source for Boondock/Outback style tires.

This thread also.  I have a 2017 and plan to use one of the sets of tires in these two threads later in the summer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thanks @pthomas745, I will check those threads out.  

• Options
    Oh boy, so much reading.  I read the threads recommended and some off-forum stuff as well.  Good discussion here about ST tires https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/11/08/trailer-towing-st-tires-vs-lt-tires/

Looks like another tire folks are recommending is the Goodyear Endurance, an ST tire.  The tread doesn't look as aggressive as the tires that came on my trailer, but I doubt that is a huge issue; my tow vehicle has highway tires on it, so unlikely to be going into a situation that requires super aggressive tread.  Does that make sense?

Interesting, I have read that ST tires have a speed rating of 65 mph, but the Goodyear Endurance specs say speed rating 87 mph -- not a speed I am likely to do when towing.  The current Westlake tires have a speed rating of 75 mph -- doubt I've ever done that either, may have touched 70 mph occasionally.

The Rainier tires have a more aggressive tread.  But the Rainier tires appear to only be available online.  Will a tire shop install tires that were not purchased there?

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    As pointed out in an earlier thread, the Endurance is Load Range D which may be a little more stiff than the stock tires. They do seem to be a very reliable tire. Most modern travel trailer tires have speed ratings of 75mph or better, but that is something to check. We tow at 60 to 65, but the additional speed for down hill runs is a safety factor.

I have Hercules trailer tires from a previous owner. They are made in the US. I'm very happy at their performance.

There's a lot of personal preference in tires. Do get trailer tires. If you will be mostly on the highway, a smoother, less aggressive tread pattern is desired. If you are mostly off road, you want a more knobby tread. Trailer tires need tread for braking, they need to grip the surface you travel on.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    There are very very few trailer tires (ST) in the ST235/75R15 size. You can proably still get the same tire you have someplace and you can get that size in the Rainer Apex tires that come on the 400's (and maybe newer 320 Boondock) https://trailersetgo.com/store/rainier-apex-st235-75r15-lrc-off-road-radial-trailer-tire
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    There are very very few trailer tires (ST) in the ST235/75R15 size. You can proably still get the same tire you have someplace and you can get that size in the Rainer Apex tires that come on the 400's (and maybe newer 320 Boondock) https://trailersetgo.com/store/rainier-apex-st235-75r15-lrc-off-road-radial-trailer-tire
    How do you get tires mounted when you purchase them online? Thanks.

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @PNWtabber i had mine done at a local one man shop, BUT I did ask Discount Tire if they would mount 3rd party tires and they said yes.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    Christian Brothers and a few other repair centers will also. We called a mobile tire guy. He mounted them in the driveway.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    I'm baaaack!!   =)
    I ended up not getting tires last year, but decided to start looking into it again.  I looked up forum threads on how to tell the age of the tire and, if I get it right, the tires on my 2018 320S Boondock were manufactured in June of 2017, making them 6 years old now.  So it seems time.

The current tires on my trailer are the Westlake tires, size ST235/75R15.  But the tire inflation placard on the trailer says the tires should be 205/75/14.  I am a bit confused.  Help??

• Options
    Also, people keep recommending Goodyear Endurance.  From what info I can find online, that tire does not come in 235/75R15.    :s

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    The Endurance size for the Boondock is just slightly smaller than the factory supplied tires at 225/75/15.

That sticker matches the standard Tab, not the Boondock, probably a mistake.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @VictoriaP  Goodyear Endurance is not available in my tire size.  Would I have to get new wheels, too???  

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited July 2023
    @PNWtabber No new wheels. Plenty of folks have had the 225/75R15 installed on the Boondock wheels. @Bayliss literally just this last week on a 2019. The tire is a little smaller in diameter, so it robs you of a tiny bit of clearance, but that’s the only difference.

Bayliss’ post: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/201226#Comment_201226
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    THANKS!
    After reading numerous threads and visiting untold numbers of websites, I have made the decision and have an appointment in 3 days to get my new tires.  I agreed with @Bayliss's conclusion and am getting:   Goodyear Endurance ST 225/75R15 tires.  The folks at Discount Tire are confident they will fit on my rims.  Fingers crossed!!