Options

adding locks on the diamond plate box

Can anyone tell me how they added a security lock to the diamond plate box and where to purchase those parts?

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited April 2022
    Whilst adding a lock to the front tub has some benefits, locking access to a propane tank cut off valve may not be legal, depending on local regulations.   Locking the box restricts access to the propane cut off valve in an emergency or fire situation, and could result in total loss of your trailer.  If you get a galley fire, and need to fumble with a lock, the extra few minutes could make a difference.  Something to think about before locking the tub…

For me, I lock the tank with a cable lock, and do not store anything of value, that I do not want to loose in the front box.  
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    Instead of locks all my front compartments, generator, and side door are alarmed with a very loud alarm. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I used two cam locks from Industrial Lock and Hardware.  At the same time I replaced all of the CH751 locks on the access doors with cam locks keyed alike to the locks on the front tub.  I still only have one key to carry but it is not the same key that every other RVer  (and potential bad guy) has.

I have heard over and over again the warning about the legality of locking the propane tub but after extensive research have never found anything definitive against it.  All I have ever heard is the warning from everyone else that they heard from everyone else.  RVIA and NFPA may have restrictions for manufacturers but not for owners.
    Consider all the stores--Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, many grocery stores, and propane dealers themselves--that sell replacement 20 pound propane bottles.  They are all locked up for the same reason we want to lock ours up--there are thieves out there!
    By the time firefighters arrive (unless you light off in the FD parking lot) your TAB--or even a larger RV--will be fully involved and just about burned to the frame.  The FD will just protect the exposures (anything nearby that might ignite) and not worry about your rig.  As an ex-firefighter and Fire Marshall I can guarantee that no firefighter is going to get close enough to your burning rig to mess with the shutoff valves.  There is simply no reason to do so.  The propane tanks themselves are not going to explode.  The pressure relief valves will vent when pressure builds up and the resultant release of propane will look like a blowtorch until the pressure has been relieved.  This exciting event may happen several times until the tanks cool down enough to no longer vent.  Check out U-tube vids of burning RV's.

NOW, having ranted about this you will have to do what you have to do.  The internet is full of people like me who may just be flat out wrong and often are.  I don't think I am but...!

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    edited April 2022
    I used two cam locks from Industrial Lock and Hardware.  At the same time I replaced all of the CH751 locks on the access doors with cam locks keyed alike to the locks on the front tub.  I still only have one key to carry but it is not the same key that every other RVer  (and potential bad guy) has.

I have heard over and over again the warning about the legality of locking the propane tub but after extensive research have never found anything definitive against it.  All I have ever heard is the warning from everyone else that they heard from everyone else.  RVIA and NFPA may have restrictions for manufacturers but not for owners.
    Consider all the stores--Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, many grocery stores, and propane dealers themselves--that sell replacement 20 pound propane bottles.  They are all locked up for the same reason we want to lock ours up--there are thieves out there!
    By the time firefighters arrive (unless you light off in the FD parking lot) your TAB--or even a larger RV--will be fully involved and just about burned to the frame.  The FD will just protect the exposures (anything nearby that might ignite) and not worry about your rig.  As an ex-firefighter and Fire Marshall I can guarantee that no firefighter is going to get close enough to your burning rig to mess with the shutoff valves.  There is simply no reason to do so.  The propane tanks themselves are not going to explode.  The pressure relief valves will vent when pressure builds up and the resultant release of propane will look like a blowtorch until the pressure has been relieved.  This exciting event may happen several times until the tanks cool down enough to no longer vent.  Check out U-tube vids of burning RV's.

NOW, having ranted about this you will have to do what you have to do.  The internet is full of people like me who may just be flat out wrong and often are.  I don't think I am but...!

Those propane bottles at the store aren't traveling down the highway. Myself, I'd rather have an easily replaced bottle of propane stolen than some jackass ruin my tub prying it open because it's locked.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    Well, I have other stuff in my tub that I would like to keep.  If the bad guys come at you with tools and time they are going to get in no matter what security you install.  I just want those idiots to realize that the guy next to me is easier to rob than me.
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 209
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    As an ex-firefighter and Fire Marshall I can guarantee that no firefighter is going to get close enough to your burning rig to mess with the shutoff valves.  There is simply no reason to do so.  The propane tanks themselves are not going to explode.  The pressure relief valves will vent when pressure builds up and the resultant release of propane will look like a blowtorch until the pressure has been relieved.

Thanks for saying this. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    I also installed a cam lock on our front tub.  An ex-firefighter as well, I see no reason to approach a burning T@b trailer to see if the propane valve is open, and attempt to shut it off before being toasted.

Doug K
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    If I smelled gas - or the CO alarm sounded, I probably would want to get to the shut off valve asap.  Easy enough to put a cable lock around the tank and holder if I was to worry about that being stolen.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,283
    Like @falcon1970, I’ve only been able to find regulations for manufactures, not private owners. When I’m driving down the road, my tank is off and the box is unlocked. The only time I lock it is if the trailer is left unattended. It’s a large truck box with lots of other stuff I’d rather not have stolen. I believe that most campground thieves are opportunists. If it’s locked they’ll move on to the next victim rather than draw attention by breaking into something. 
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited April 2022
    AnOldUR said:
    Like @falcon1970, I’ve only been able to find regulations for manufactures, not private owners. When I’m driving down the road, my tank is off and the box is unlocked. The only time I lock it is if the trailer is left unattended. It’s a large truck box with lots of other stuff I’d rather not have stolen. I believe that most campground thieves are opportunists. If it’s locked they’ll move on to the next victim rather than draw attention by breaking into something. 
    I've always wondered about this question and am glad to that those who have been motivated to do some research seem to find that the issue falls into the category of urban myth. And as another ex-firefighter, I couldn't agree more with what @falcon1970 states relative to propane tanks and camper fires.
    LIke @AnOldUR and many others, I'm not worried about the propane tank getting stolen; I want the box locked to make it hard for thieves to help themselves to the other much more valuable stuff stored there. I've been reluctant to add a permanent lock and to date, have secured the box with a cable & lock when the camper is parked and unattended. I'm now comfortable with a more permanent solution and will be adding a cam lock before we head out this season.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    RichguyRichguy Member Posts: 6
    Thank you all, once again, for the valuable information.  We have yet to go on our maiden "voyage" and we would like to be as secure prior to setting off as possible.  Thanks to you veterans, I believe we will be OK.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 269
    Here’s my two cents: forget the lock. Too much trouble. Don’t store anything of real value in the tub. The thing is not tough enough to resist a dedicated thief anyway.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    I used the tubular locks similar to what falcon1970 used for both my aftermarket box (came with regular keyed lock) and my outside storage compartment. One less key to have since they were keyed alike. I lock my box when we're set up and leave camper to go exploring, otherwise I have it unlocked when driving. I installed multiple 2 inch diameter aluminum vents in front, sides and back of my box for ventilation. I have a 20lb tank, but also 100ah lithium battery, smart shunt and solar controller in there. I figure if a thief wants to get in it, he can, but might make him move on to another one that isn't locked. Happy with set up. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    I agree with @Binghi I don't lock my storage box either.  It obviously holds my propane but also all my plumbing items (sewer hoses, connections, various water hoses and adapters, chocks. lynx levelers, a 5 gallon bucket and other odds and ends.  If someone wants to steal that stuff I'd rather just replace it than have to not only replace it but also repair the damage done to get into it by breaking into a locked box.  To me a lock says there is something of value inside it.  Without a lock they can open it and either steal something or not.  But at least no damage to the trailer will be done. So far I've never had anything taken.  I keep all my electrical stuff, cords, adapters and EMS and tools inside the trailer in the dinette storage area.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Hmmm, it occurs to me that the trailer itself is where the really good stuff to steal is likely to be--and the trailer is even easier to break into than an unlocked tongue box.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    Yep if a dedicated thief wants to steal stuff they will break into the trailer itself and into any locked storage boxes.  But I figure with the storage box unlocked at least there will be less damage to deal with if that does happen.  I store my trailer at home and in all my years of camping have never had anything taken from the house or at a campsite.  But everyone needs to do what makes them comfortable, lock everything, some things or nothing.  Heck I even know people that live in the city and never lock their cars!  They keep them empty and unlocked so they never have broken windows or anything stolen.  My buddy just told me last week that the only way he knew someone was in his old truck, parked in front of his house, was because of the open glove box and the crack pipe he found left on the seat!  He leaves his truck unlocked and empty in his neighborhood. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    Yes I never lock my trailer door as I don't want to fix where they brake in at. BUT! I do have avery loud alarm that goes off when a thief trie to go in! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge