Options

Battery Replacement 24 vs 27 AGM

I have a 2018 320S that was purchased used with a plastic tub. It came with a group 24 Interstate battery. I'm not having much luck with these batteries. I'm on my second battery and although it's less than a year old, once again, this one is not cooperating. I know, I know... yes, there are all sorts of reasons, but my question is this...

I was reading on this discussion about several T@Bbers with older T@Bs than mine and they're talking about replacing with a group 27 AGM battery and it seems that's what they currently have. Is this possible for me? It didn't seem like I had enough room to increase the battery size in the battery box and with the frame within the tub. Maybe I do? Anyone? TIA

2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    edited April 2022
    @ReenieG, most group 27 batteries will fit in your tub with a battery box. You may have to slightly angle or change the box position, but it is possible. I have a 2017 with the plastic front tub and I have a group 31 battery in the tub. Due to it's larger size (than a 24 or 27) it is angled in the tub and does not have a battery box. We had to place a piece of plywood in the tub bottom (anchored) to secure the battery onto. We used a plastic battery box lid on top and strapped it down, so that too is doable. 2 6V gc (golf cart) batteries can be arranged to fit also without too much refitting. You have options.

If you change to a group 27 battery, you will need a battery box to fit a group 27.
     -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 177
    edited April 2022
    @dragonsdofly This was what I was looking for... a good solid EASY solution for more battery amperage. Thank you! Do you have a pic you can share? It doesn't seem feasible looking at my tub since I currently only have a group 24 battery box.

2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,604
    @ReenieG As @dragonsdofly noted a Group27 will fit in the tub but not in the standard Goup24 box.
    I installed a Group27 and it was easy (sorry, don't have any pictures).
    What I did was place a piece of plywood in the metal frame [under the plastic Group24 box] to provide a level, strong base to mount a new Group27 box. It has worked well for me.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 465
    Looks like the frame is different from the older T@bs but you might be able to adapt something similar: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/14952/battery-tray-enlargement
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 348
    I used pressure treated wood to build a flat base inside the battery box frame. There is no need to keep an AGM battery inside a box. This allows you to angle and install your AGM battery oriented however you want on top of the wood base- and hold it in place with several cargo straps. I choose to stack 2 6V golf cart batteries, but my guess is that this will work for your larger 12V battery as well. My T@B 320S is a 2020.
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 452
    edited April 2022
    I put a 100AH AGM inside under the bench by the door. No battery in the tub now. (2021 320S)
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,530
    @ReenieG - are you going to place a 100 Ahr battery?  Are you mostly camping with hook ups?  Are you using solar?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    I made a similar mod in 2016--see pics and description here. It's a group 27 box but it's large enough to fit an Interstate group 31. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Just an FYI- 320S generally came with an Interstate HD24-DP dual purpose 64Ah battery weighing 41.2#. No need for dual purpose battery in non starter use. I’ve replaced my tub battery with an Interstate SRM-27 deep cycle battery. 88Ah @ 50.3#. And under the left side bed, a Renogy 100Ah LiFePO4 to run my 1500 inverter. Solar hook ups for both. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 207
    Have you considered a Lithium 100Ah group 24 battery? I understand they are much more expensive than AGMs but they are also much lighter and will provide much more capacity. Just a thought...
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    tombeauxtombeaux Member Posts: 62
    We put a group 27 size AGM in our 2017 320S. Using the YanniLazarus photo above, note where I have a yellow circle. The larger battery box fits the width of that bracket, but not the length. I used an angle saw and took out the part of the angle iron that sticks up so that the longer box would fit in that space. Then I could squeeze the group 27 box in (barely). The Camco brand group 27 box did need some trimming on the lid to fit inside. The second photo notes where I trimmed the lid. Our original group 24 that came with the T@B lasted more than two years and we are heavy users. We did have some instances where we probably drew it down to the point that we damaged it some. We keep it charged with a Renogy suitcase solar system when boondocking and haven't had any issues with the AGM for the past two years. This is the battery we bought - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1RT58C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2018 T@B 320S. 2017 Toyota Highlander AWD