Options

Well . . Darn, Darn, Darn . . . Water Pump Won't Prime/Stop === Working Now 04222022

MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
First time for me that the Water Pump won't shut-off after de-winterizing . . . darn thing has run for hours. For awhile it seemed to be building pressure but after five+ hours it won't stop.
I've tried all the 'tricks' I can think of so will deal with it later. Maybe driving down the road will fix-it ;) as I'm going on a 10-day adventure even if I have to use a bucket to flush the toilet . . . just like winter camping . . .

While an air-leak on the fresh water tank side of the pump is a likely cause - - - I'm Not Dealing With It Now.  OKAY ?

:)
'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• Options
    Just curious why you let it run for 5 hours? If it doesn't shut off in the first few minutes it's not going to. Is the valve closed on the fresh water tank? Have you checked for any water leaks in the alde compartment? Unscrew the clear water filter cap and put it back on careful not to cross thread it. 
  • Options
    Just curious why you let it run for 5 hours? . . .
    Have you checked for any water leaks in the alde compartment?. . .
    Unscrew the clear water filter cap and put it back on careful not to cross thread it. 
    It the past it has required up to 2+ hours to fully pressurize.
    And since I was busy with other tasks I just like it run.

No leaks that I know of . . . thought I purged all the air with City Water, maybe I didn't get all the air out.
    In the past air-pockets in the Alde hot water tank have been an issue . . . could still be so now.

Real World my post was far, far more a RANT than a request for help.

I really dislike plumbing; house, trailer, and even my former boats.

Electricity I can handle but seem to lack 'the touch' for darn plumbing.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    Last time mine gave me trouble priming I was able to get it by holding the toilet flush lever open with the pump running. My guess was that it’s lower than the sink, so an easier prime.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    edited April 2022
    MuttonChops said:
    It the past it has required up to 2+ hours to fully pressurize.
    And since I was busy with other tasks I just like it run.
    FWIW, this doesn't sound right. My experience parallels that of @TabbyShack --the system should pressurize within a few minutes. I wonder if you have had some sort of an issue all along but it has just gotten worse.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The water pump should pressurize the system in 2 min., or less, especially if you have pre-primed the water lines with a city water hookup.  If a pump takes longer, you have an issue somewhere.
     Cheers 

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited April 2022
    Agree 100% with Denny. The water pump is supposed to fully pressurize in just a few minutes. I've never had it take longer than 3-4 minutes... even without prepriming the lines.

There is definitely something wrong but no way you would have known that if it never primed quickly like it's supposed to in the first place. The pump never runs more than 2-3 minutes before shutting off on all three of my T@bs. If it ran longer I knew something was not right, not enough water in FW tank to prime, air lock, open valve or faucet, or now, wrong settings on Nautilis. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    [ 1 ]  I really suspect an air bubble getting stuck somewhere and the historic 1st fill after winter
               pressurizing of 2'ish hours was due to compressing that air.  . . but plumbing is not my thing . .
              However, my boats acted about the same.

[ 2 ]  Pump Has Stopped Running = WORKING correctly = Not So Much 'Fixed' =
              After about 200-miles of driving the pump only needed a minute or so to pressurize and
              shut-off.  Again that makes me think air bubble/pocket that got moved to some spot that
              the pump could easily compress.

I'll be on 'city water' for the next few days then 5-days of dry-camping.
    edit P.S.
       Pump worked correctly while not connected to any city water.
       I.E. at rest stop after 200 miles (at 100 miles it stilljus t ran and ran)
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I'm thinking a little weakness in the pump back pressure seal coupled with the need for priming. I haven't pre-primed my system after draining and blowing out (winterizing) but I know it takes a long time. I assume with your experience you've used the city water fill first method, even that method will require some priming. My bet is your back pressure seal is weak.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    edited April 2022
    We dewinterized today and had the same issue with the pump on our CS.  We did as you did by hooking up City water 1st and made sure each of the spigots and shower stopped spitting air and had a steady flow.  Next we removed the hose and filled the fresh water tank.  When the pump was turned on it ran and ran but wasn't working hard. Soon after the city water pressure dissipated with the pump issue. 
    So we emptied the system (as part of a planned flush).  Next we refilled but absent-mindedly left the hot water low-point drain open with this fresh water fill.  The pump still didn't behave right.  We removed and inspected the water strainer at the pump but realized the drain valve was still left open. We closed it.  In the process of reinstalling the strainer it filled with water.  This may have had the effect of priming the pump and then when the pump was again turned on it sounded normal with a stronger effort.   Right after the 2 minute mark the pump shut off.  We tested all the spigots and pressure and proper water flow returned.
    Notes: The drain values were closed on the first attempt to use the pump after city water pressurization.  The second attempt was done without a second city water pressurization.  We had this happen last year but it resolved itself.  We use the blow-out winterization method.  Finally a bucket was placed under the connection to the strainer--so we didn't make another bonehead move by flooding our CS's galley.   
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    I had a company with multiple pieces of equipment which used these pumps.  They have one to three diaphragms in them depending on model.  The diaphragms are prone to rupture.  Then pumps “don’t pump no mo”.  There are repair kits which include the diaphragms which are cheaper than a whole new pump.  It took a couple minutes to replace the diaphragms.  But they weren’t stuck down in a hard to access compartment.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    There are several threads about adjusting these pumps, and the thread that pointed out above that shows a pump with an actual stuck part. 
    Second page here:  two links, one with a pump adjustment video and another with a whole pump "teardown"

This is the thread from the other day that tore down the pump and found the stuck part.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    I thought I was having this problem this past weekend when de-winterizing but it turns out I had left the Nautilus valves in "City Water" mode. Problem was quickly resolved once I corrected that.

Probably not your issue but I thought I'd mention it.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure