Question about Graphite and Dry Moly Lube

I've been looking for some lube/protectant options for my hitch ball and stabilizers.  Some have suggested Graphite for the hitch ball (lube and rust protector).  Others have recommended Dry Moly Lube for the stabilizers. Could either of these be used in both applications?  If so, would you recommend one over the other, and why?
2022 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
SW Ohio

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited April 2022
    I use regular bearing grease on the hitch ball on my truck, and cover it with a purpose hitch ball grease cover, keeps the ball clean, and grease from getting rubbed off.  For the stabilizers, I use a spray lube designed for industrial equipment (tractors) turnbuckles and cables.  It is similar to chain lube, but has a thicker viscosity.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited May 2022
    I use a wax based bicycle chain lube or bees wax.   When the black wax residue on the ball gets on things, it cleans up much easier than grease.  I also cover it with a slit tennis ball when unhitched.

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited May 2022
    @Buckster, my view is that either of those products could be used for lubricating the hitch ball and stabilizers.  There are other dry lube sprays or equally effective options that work well (e.g., those already suggested above, or that have previously been suggested by others on this forum.)  Of the two you suggested, I would go with the CRC Dry Moly Lube since it has high anti-friction and anti-seizure properties, plus it's fast-drying film resists dirt and dust build-up (a definite plus for the stabilizers.)  Sounds like its properties fit exactly what you are looking for.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    I agree, any good medium to heavy duty lube will work.  I use the water proof boat tailer bearing lube (synthetic type) because that is what I have, and it works well.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.