Options

Water gets warm but not hot

On our first trip out this year, with city water and shore power connections, the hot faucets never showed anything better than tepid (~70° - 80°) water. Last year (our first in a 2021 400 Boondock) hot water temperature was just fine. If there was anything unusual in the dewinterizing process it was the first several seconds of running hot water after the bypass valves were opened. The sputtering had a very foul smell. As the flow ceased to sputter cold clear water came out of the faucet.  On our trip we noticed that it took a while (I ran the outside shower for several minutes) for there to be a constant flow of warmish water - most likely because I hadn't run the 3 gallons or so as suggested in the manual.

What to do?
2018 Audi SQ5 + 2021 T@B 400 BD replaces '99 Roadtrek 190 Popular (same mpg with half the range)

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    Check your bypass valve setting again.  That could be one cause. (Recheck all the valves for "camping mode".)
    And, have you ever adjusted your mixing valve?  You may have the "red cap" thermostatic mixing valve, which is fairly easy to deal with.  If you don't have this "red cap" mixing valve, look for a "black cap" valve with the hot and cold water pipes around it.  It will be a different procedure to adjust.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    geoBgeoB Member Posts: 67
    edited May 2022
    [Note: this may be a repeat of a message sent a half hour ago via gmail]

Thanks for the quick reply. Below is a photo of the current unchanged state.

Additional data: Alde controller, Services, Water temp = 118°; temperature of water at galley sink = 91°.
    [Edit: yesterday while camping water temp read 167°; above reading is after driving home.]

Small red dot to left of the red hose is set to 2 1/2, which I set last year. Do you see anything amiss?

2018 Audi SQ5 + 2021 T@B 400 BD replaces '99 Roadtrek 190 Popular (same mpg with half the range)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    @geoB
    The valves in your photo look fine?  The glycol pump setting of 2.5 controls the glycol circulation and is adequate.  Make sure the Alde is set to “Therm” rather than “Continuous”.  Continuous mode circulates the heated glycol constantly and returns cooled glycol to the Alde.  The Alde in turn uses that “warm” glycol to heat the water - this may account for a cooler water temp.

Other factors that effect water temp = starting with very cold water, cold ambient temp, thermostatic mixing valve needs adjustment, or simply not waiting enough time to let the Alde heat.

I would also try the shower “boost” setting which should stop the glycol from circulating which allows concentrated heated glycol to heat the water.

You have the Flow - as I remember there were reports of initial fluctuation in temperature out of the faucet.

That foul smell suggests that the Alde and Flow were not completely emptied with winterization.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Sharon et al,

Thanks immensely for the comprehensive commentary. I've added some notes from this end. At a minimum I discovered I don't know how to change the hot/cold mix, let alone that it was adjustable. Please tell me more!

'Alde is set to “Therm"': yes

'...water temp = starting with very cold water, cold ambient temp...': Could have been a factor. Monday overnight low was 26°. Today, however, with ambient temp at home of ~74°, water temp at galley sink is only 92°

'...thermostatic mixing valve needs adjustment...': I see what might be a mixing valve on the bulkhead below the refrigerator. There is a red cap with "Alde" in white lettering. The cap seems to be loose - there's no resistance when I turn it. If that is the mixing valve how can the mix be changed? I found nothing about changing the mix in the Tab manual.

'...not waiting enough time...': I doubt this was a problem - the low temperature was noted Wednesday morning from a hookup on Monday evening.

'...try the shower “boost” setting...': I did try that but it must time out. No effect on water temp was noted.

'That foul smell suggests that the Alde and Flow were not completely emptied with winterization.': I accept that and appreciate learning more about the Alde system's requirements.

George

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    edited May 2022
    What you are describing with the "red cap with Alde" is the "Thermostatic Mixing Valve".

The link above has some more pointers and help, but this is the basic information on how to adjust it, where it says "temperature adjustment."  Some owners have been able to use the red cap to turn the adjusting screw, but others say an actual wrench does a better job.  Use care on the soft brass of the screw.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options

Thanks! I'm always reluctant to pry anything off without instructions.

g
  • Options
    Unfortunately, the mixing valve is all the way counterclockwise - 93° looks to be about the best we can get at the sink. I haven't tested the shower, but that's got to be about the same.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    What are your Nautilus valve settings?  The Alde bypass valve is the red valve handle in the middle of the panel.  Also on the Alde control panel (directions are in your Alde manual) you can go into maintenance mode and check the glycol and water temp readings.  This will tell you if the Alde is heating up the glycol properly.  Next, check your glycol fluid reservoir level, it should be between the high and low marks.  This is located next to the passenger side port hole in the dinette area.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Nautilus is City Water to Fixtures. Glycol is smack dab in the middle. Glycol setting is OK per Sharon, temp while camped was ~160°
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The red Alde bypass is a water valve, not glycol.  It controls water to the hot water tanks.  The red handle is set vertical to allow water to go to the Alde system to heat the water.  The only remaining issue is the hot water safety mixing valve, which is either stuck and not mixing, or is set too low.  You remove the red cap on the mixing valve, and turn the knob upside down to use it as a wrench to adjust the valve.  See the instructions posted above.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    I did not know that the red valve in Nautilus is also known as the Alde bypass valve. In the City Water to Fixtures setting the red valve points up.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @geoB If you are on shorepower at home, make sure your Alde electric selection is “2 KW”.  You need at least a 16A breaker, so if plugged into a 15A breaker, make sure everything else in the TaB is turned off.  Then hit the boost and then after 20 min, check the water temp at the panel.  Just know, you may trip a house breaker.  The water temp at the tap will not  match the boiler temp due to mixing.

You may want to try it on propane.
  • Options
    I have mine all the way counterclockwise (screwed all the way out if you have the new style mixer valve with red cap) and the temp was WAY hot like over 120 degrees. I forgot to look at the thermostat temp once it got fully hot. If you put it on max hot setting you will use less hot water so I like mine maxed out. 
  • Options

"...water temp at the panel...": Which panel - the Alde control panel by the door or the Nautilus panel? I have observed that the reading in the Alde control panel, Services, Water temp is different from the tap. What is the expected difference between control panel temp and measured temp? (I'm using a digital quick read thermometer I use in bread baking.)

• Options
    Water temp at the Alde control panel within “Services”.  Not sure off hand, but it seems that @ScottG measured the temps once.
  • Options
    I'll run your suggested test tomorrow morning and report back. Thanks for all your help.
  • Options
    For a faster heat up use the electric and propane.  The propane delivers 5 KW and will get you to top temp faster.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The Alde Service menu shows the water temp in the hot water tank.  The tap temp. is lower as the hot water mixing valve under the bunk, adds cold water to the hot water from the tank, to give you a lower useable temp and make the hot water run or last longer. 

In Boost shower mode, you get hot water faster, as the Alde heating circulation pump is shut off, and all the glycol heat is going to the hot water tank and the Flo pre-heating tank.  With the proper setting on the hot water mixing valve, you should get almost continuous hot water when in the shower boost mode.  
    Cheers 
  • Options
    Oh yes, Denny you are right about that! I think I saw like 138 or 140 on the service menu and that would send you to the hospital with burns. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Water temp at the Alde control panel within “Services”.  Not sure off hand, but it seems that @ScottG measured the temps once.
    I did, but with the caveat that I have the analog panel and no mixing valve. IIRC, HW tap temp was around 135F on "heat and hot water" and just north of 150F on "hot water only." These values were consistent with Alde's published values.

While I am just as happy to not have a pesky mixing valve, I can see why nuCamp started installing them. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Water temp testing:
    Initial conditions: City water, shore power, propane on at controller
    Time Service temp Cold tap Hot tap Boost
    9:50 127 72.1 90.1 No
    9:54 - - - On
    10:03 145 72.5 94.2 On

Note: each tap temperature was taken after discarding >= 12 cups of water
    I expected hot water to be greater than 94°

Edit: While running the hot water tap for the boosted test I heard some "blooping" that did not occur when boost was off.
  • Options
    If you want the water hotter at the tap, you need to adjust the safety mixing valve.  That said, 94F water is plenty hot for washing up and a shower.  Hot water at the taps is not instant, and I use a pot to catch the odd 12-cups of water while it gets hot water to the tap.  You could also save this water in a plastic water jug.  We pour it in our Berkey to use as drinking/ cooking water.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The mixing valve is maxed already. I would be far happier at >=100°; last year we had hotter water.
    edit: Rheem says "...most dermatologists recommend keeping the temperature at an average of 98°F (37°C) to 101°F (38.3°C) or no more than 105 °F (41°C)"

• Options
    edited May 2022
    OK, I am a wimp, 100F is too hot for me.  If you have not changed the valve setting from last year, then you are having an issue with the mixing valve.  I would have it checked out by a good dealer service department, it may be a warranty fix for you.  There have been some reports of this valve failing.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAM
    Do you agree with Denny16 regarding a possible mixing valve issue? If so, I'd like to get the six to eight week process started as soon as I can.

• Options
    Did a repeat of the test described above with the mixing valve rotated clockwise 4 complete turns. Hot water tap had only cold water. Returned to the full counterclockwise position and the same result - cold water only at the hot water tap. Appointment made for 3 weeks out for trailer service on extended warranty. Oh joy!
  • Options
    @geoB - you are getting too much cold water into the mix.  Just to confirm, is both the Flow and Alde pump setting the same?  
  • Options
    Afraid I don't know the Flow setting; where does one find it? But the question is now moot. I've made a service appointment with the dealer and put the trailer back in storage. The good thing is we got an extended warranty when we got the trailer last year. So even though I'm game to try to fix almost anything, I've turned the issue over to the dealer. With luck it'll be usable again in maybe six weeks.
  • Options
    I may be mistaken.  According to the Owners Manual, the flow does not have a separate control - never mind😊