Options

What do you think about Renogy solar panels?

This is on sale right now at Amazon for $208 after 20% off

Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Off Grid Portable Foldable 2Pcs 50W Solar Panel Suitcase Built-in Kickstand with Waterproof 20A Charger Controller

Thinking about getting one. It has a controller, so I could presumably connect it to my T@B battery via the controller and make my battery last longer while dry camping.

Would love to hear some thoughts... tips... other (better) options... or if anyone thinks it's unwise to go this cheap. 

Thanks!

2020 T@B 320s Boondock Lite. 2015 Kia Sorrento EX V6 AWD

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    Just got this for my 400. It’s not cheaply made and the controller works well. Make sure you get mc4 extensions, you need two, one for each conductor from the panels. That will add to cost. And you will have to decide how to connect to your battery. My kit came with battery clips only

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I have had a Renogy 100w “suitcase” for three years and it has worked really well. I take it to supplement the rooftop solar and when the camper is covered for the winter as a means to maintain the batteries.  
    I would definitely recommend. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    edited May 2022
    That's the older model they're trying to get rid of. Bigger and heavier than the new, more efficient Eclipse version. Also consider buying one without the Renogy controller and adding a Victron controller either at the panel or preferable close to your batteries (to prevent voltage drop). Your onboard controller and the new one can be networked for better charging efficiency.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    I have this same setup.  I bought just after new year at about same sale price. Quality built, have used a fe2 trips, does what I expect it to do.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    I have one of the 100W suitcase and they are nice, but heavy, and awkward to set up.  I just bought one of their flexible panels and mounted it to a pvc pipe frame.  That setup is much lighter and easier to maneuver. 
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I have a Renogy Eclipse 100w soft case that they no longer make. Performance is fine with a Victron 75/15 MPPT controller.

But as @grubbster noted, hard panels are significantly heavier (with the cheaper panels even heavier than the Eclipse) and I needed more than 100w because solar in my region isn’t all that efficient. I would have considered a second Renogy soft case, but they’d been discontinued by that point. Instead, I ended up with a 200w Bluetti soft suitcase found on sale, using the same controller and cables I’d set up, and it’s simply better built than the Renogy. 

Whatever you decide, unless you’re in the desert Southwest where solar performs at its best, I wouldn’t get one with an onboard controller. They’re often PWM, which is less efficient than MPPT, and as AnOldUR noted, it’s best to wire the controller closer to the battery rather than have it mounted to the panel.  
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    subfreq111subfreq111 Member Posts: 45
    I have a complete Renogy system, batteries, panels, controller, and am very happy with its performance.

Nick / 2018 T@B 320 S / 2010 VW Jetta TDI / Coeur d'Alene, ID
  • Options
    newcampnewcamp Member Posts: 63
    Thanks everyone!

I actually ended up going even cheaper, with a 60W Eco-Worthy for $80.

Has a primitive controller and a 10 foot cable (the controller being about half way, but I would consider moving it closer to the battery if that is really an issue). It is also really light.

This allows me to start easy with a minimal investment. I a lot of other variables to figure out before making more investments in battery and solar. 

I will let you guys know how this one works after a couple of weeks. 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    I think its a good way to understand what is going on with your setup. Mine got me started on my own list of power draws in my trailer. Also that is a good size to just keep your battery topped off when storing

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    edited May 2022
    I have the 200 watt Renogy. I mounted the controller in the front tub so it's closer to the battery and will cut down on loss from the 20 foot extension. Works very well. As others have stated it's heavier than the newer ones but it's also half the price. I only bring ours when I know I'm going to be camped in the shade or will be several days with no electric. Here's more info and links to the adapters and cable I used: https://solocanoes.com/camper.htm

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,652
    @newcamp Lots of owners are using the Ecoworthy panels, so they are certainly a good option.  I know the cables can be confusing, but they do work.  If you could provide some photos of the cables from the panel to the controller, and how you are connecting from the controller to the battery, it would be pretty helpful.  I kind of understand the cabling needs of the Ecoworthy, and if I can get a little better photos of the setup it would be great.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @newcamp Lots of owners are using the Ecoworthy panels, so they are certainly a good option.  I know the cables can be confusing, but they do work.  If you could provide some photos of the cables from the panel to the controller, and how you are connecting from the controller to the battery, it would be pretty helpful.  I kind of understand the cabling needs of the Ecoworthy, and if I can get a little better photos of the setup it would be great.
    Thanks for the help, but I had no confusion regarding how to connect this... 

Not sure if I understood your post correctly, or if you misunderstood mine. Thanks anyway!
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,652
    Actually, what I was trying to say was that seeing pictures of your setup will help show other people how to set up theirs if they decide to use the Ecoworthy panels.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Actually, what I was trying to say was that seeing pictures of your setup will help show other people how to set up theirs if they decide to use the Ecoworthy panels.

Oh, I see  :D  I couldn't really tell. Yes, I can take some pics next time I have it installed. It was actually quite straight forward. The only thing that took some figuring out was the controller, which only has one single button so you have to press it a lot to get different screens. 
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    We have that same older model Renogy 200 Watt suitcase, but haven't moved the controller to the tub.  We have only the 80 Watt deep cycle battery, so haven't felt the need to relocate the controller.  So far we've only used it to top off the battery prior to departure from home.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to transport the suitcase on our journeys.  The included case is nice, but I can't say it's well padded.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Love our 100w suitcase. Keeps both batteries charged in full sunlight and usually only have to move twice a day to maximize charging. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @rcuomo - when out west, we found that laying the panels flat on the ground, longwise east to west, provided an easy way to charge the batteries without chasing the sun.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    K_C_915K_C_915 Member Posts: 34
    I purchased the 100W suitcase with the PWM controller.  I went lazy and just plugged it into the external battery connector on the tub.  It works for me to charge the battery when the sun is not shining on the roof top panels on our 320 BD.  I will use Sharon suggestion on placing them flat next time. Chasing the sun is distracting.

Overall, I like it and it works well.  Make sure you understand how to connect the cables to your battery.  It is easy to get the polarity switched. Verify it with a Volt Meter before connecting.  There are some good discussion about that on this forum.

Between the suitcase and the few hours the roof panels got full sun, I was able to get the 100 AH AGM up to 85% each day while off the grid.  Would be a problem if we had cloudy days.  I don't think I will use the 12V only fridge on my next boondocking trip.  Too stressful making sure the battery is fully charged.
    2021 T@b 320 S Boondock
    2020 F150 2.7l V6 Turbo
    Tucson, Arizona
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    K_C_915 said:
    ... I don't think I will use the 12V only fridge on my next boondocking trip. Too stressful making sure the battery is fully charged. ...
    Personally, my sole reason for upgrading from the stock battery and adding a solar suitcase was so that I could run my 12V fridge 24/7. There may have been some stress in the beginning, but now I rarely check battery level and when I do it's just out of curiosity.

(This is assuming you're using a 12V compressor style fridge, not a 3-way with an absorption system.)

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Sharon, I’m on the East coast and we do a bunch of beach camping out in Montauk and the blowing sand plays havoc if I lay the panels flat. Not really an inconvenience moving them to follow the sun. One of the best purchases we made IMO. Plan on using them next week in Montauk to run our recently acquired Bodega 12v portable fridge/freezer. 
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    MikeDawn265MikeDawn265 Member Posts: 29
    @SLJ When you re-wire the SAE (Zamp) solar plug on the tub to add the control can you run a trickle charger through that? 
    Wisconsinites 2020 T@B 320 S - 2021 Dodge Durango GT Plus TV
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    edited May 2022
    I would not have a solar controller between a trickle charger and the battery.  So if your controller is in the tub, I would not plug a trickle charger to the port.  Some suitcase solar panels have the controller built into the panel, and the SAE port on the tub is wired directly to the battery.  In that case you can plug a trickle charger to the port. 

Make sure you check the polarity.  With these solar ports both sides are a power source (battery and solar panel).  Typically the power source in a circuit has the + terminal in the covered female terminal.  Zamp has chosen to make the + terminal on the solar plug the covered female terminal, thus making the exposed male terminal on the tub the + terminal.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    @SLJ When you re-wire the SAE (Zamp) solar plug on the tub to add the control can you run a trickle charger through that? 
    I wouldn't try it. If I want to keep the battery topped off when stored I just leave the T@B plugged in and let the controller maintain it.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    GreenhilGreenhil Member Posts: 14
    I have their 200 W suitcase. No complaints so far about the product but I’ve found the support to be lousy. Long wait times when you call, not very knowledgeable people answering your call and absolutely no response to emails sent through their support page. 
  • Options

Horigan said:
    I would not have a solar controller between a trickle charger and the battery.  So if your controller is in the tub, I would not plug a trickle charger to the port.  Some suitcase solar panels have the controller built into the panel, and the SAE port on the tub is wired directly to the battery.  In that case you can plug a trickle charger to the port. 

Make sure you check the polarity.  With these solar ports both sides are a power source (battery and solar panel).  Typically the power source in a circuit has the + terminal in the covered female terminal.  Zamp has chosen to make the + terminal on the solar plug the covered female terminal, thus making the exposed male terminal on the tub the + terminal.
    Here’s how I handled the solar reverse polarity issue:
    Huntington LI