Options

Did they give me the correct battery?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    Back in 2016 our dealer in Columbus (Haydocy, now Wahlberg) allowed us to order our own battery (Lifeline 150 AHr AGM).  We had it shipped to the dealer. Somehow, Pleasant Valley Trailer had a custom aluminum box made to contain it.  We did not buy the trailer off the lot, so all of this was planned as part of the order process.  I would much rather have the product that I did the research on than what the dealer or manufacturer chooses.  They both have profit margins and the battery may not meet your preferences.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    I would much rather have the product that I did the research on than what the dealer or manufacturer chooses.  They both have profit margins and the battery may not meet your preferences.  
    That is another reason why in hindsight I'm glad my dealer didn't offer to upgrade to lithium. I wouldn't be as concerned if NuCamp installed a standard battery and would like to at least have options to consider. But as it is today I would recommend just purchasing your own upgrade.
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    edited May 2022
    When we bought ours the battery types or use was not discussed. But the compressor fridge was new & in fact the dealer had almost no information on the 2021 model. On the previous models the small battery was usually good enough for 2 to 5 days of dry camping. Not so now. The standard 80 AH battery is fine only for mostly utility camping or full sun if solar. New campers may not know how they'll use it but the dealers do a huge disservice not discussing this with the customers.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    newcampnewcamp Member Posts: 63
    Thanks for all the input!

I ended up buying a Renogy 100ah AGM (Amazon just dropped the price to $197)

I was considering keeping the marine battery in there but then thought again and It's not worth the worry as we are going on our first trip to a state forest for to nights soon and It would probably run out and the small solar panel I have would not get enough sun to provide enough charge. 

Didn't call back the dealer because I didn't want to drive back there and it seemed easier to just take care of this myself. 

The marine battery I think I will use as an emergency backup. 
    2020 T@B 320s Boondock Lite. 2015 Kia Sorrento EX V6 AWD
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @newcamp So, with the propane fridge, a kill switch on the Jensen, and judicious but not extreme conservation? I used a whopping 6 ah yesterday dry camping in a 2019. About an hour of full sun with the portable 200 watt suitcase fully restored that. You’ll probably do quite well with the new battery!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    VictoriaP said:
    @newcamp So, with the propane fridge, a kill switch on the Jensen, and judicious but not extreme conservation? I used a whopping 6 ah yesterday dry camping in a 2019. About an hour of full sun with the portable 200 watt suitcase fully restored that. You’ll probably do quite well with the new battery!
    Encouraging! Thanks!

Is there a DIY on that kill switch? Does the stereo pull a lot?
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @newcamp The stereo and TV are two of the larger parasitic draws on the Tab…even when shut off, they still draw current. I removed the TV outright, but there’s a nifty plug-in inline switch people have found for that. The stereo must be pulled, 12v line cut, and a simple rocker switch wired in. Most people drill a hole through the cabinetry for a clean permanent install of a recessed switch, I cheated with a surface mount version  and simply snaked mine into the next cabinet to hide it there so I wouldn’t have to put a hole in the cabinetry. Once flipped, all power to the Jensen is off so there’s less battery drain when not in use, and it’s easily turned on when you want to use the stereo.

There are threads around here about doing the install, my connectivity in camp today’s not good enough to pull them for you, but let me know if you don’t find them and I’ll see what I can do. I’m not great with electrical and battery stuff, and I still managed to DIY this one. Also look for threads on parasitic draw and high draw items, as if you’re going to boondock, it’s best to know how to conserve your power.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
    @VictoriaP & @newcamp, rather than place the switch up by the radio, I went with down by the fuse box. It was pretty easy to work there. I placed a switch in line with the fuse that controls all the audio/video components. It's the little rocker switch to the left of the 120V outlet.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Thanks!

I was wondering if it is possible to just pull that fuse. I wouldn't mind doing that every time I go dry camping until I get the switch installed. 

Which fuse is it? 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
    newcamp said:
    I was wondering if it is possible to just pull that fuse. ... Which fuse is it? 
    That's what I did before installing the switch. On my 2020 320S it's F1. Might not be the same for yours. It's a 7.5 amp fuse.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Thanks!