Cooler on Boondock platform?

CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
edited May 2022 in Camping & Travel
I have one of those critter-proof rotomolded coolers that usually rides in the cargo area of our TV when we travel. It's pretty bulky and I'd like to put it on the front of the platform of the trailer as indicated in the photo below. That will not only free up space in the TV, but also allow us easier access to the cooler. You will see in the photo that the cooler rests on the cage that is welded to the platform.  The cooler is quite heavy, perhaps 30 pounds dry and probably 60 or 70 when loaded. Can the cage take that weight?
You will also see in the photo that the cooler is resting on some scrap 2x3's - it needs to be raised up a few inches in order for the its lid to clear the cargo box to the rear. Once I've determined that the cage can bear the weight, I will make a permanent support with treated lumber bolted in place with supports to keep the cooler from moving laterally.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country

Comments

• newcampnewcamp Member Posts: 63
    If you are worried about the structure of the cage, I would consider not using the long lateral wood pieces, but instead something that fits inside of the cage, so that it is resting on the bottom of the cage (the platform with little holes in it). That would still lift the cooler above the edges. That platform, should hold a lot of weight.

Do I understand it correct that the cooler is in front of the bigger tongue box?

To my mind it would be more an issue of tongue weight. Will it weigh down your hitch too much? I think that depends what you have else in your tongue box and in your two additional boxes. What type of batteries? With the cooler being so much in front it creates even more leverage and weight on the hitch. 

All that being said, I'm just speculating and not experienced but I wanted to offer some input. 
    2020 T@B 320s Boondock Lite. 2015 Kia Sorrento EX V6 AWD
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Will the cooler fit through the door of the TaB?  It may be better to have it ride on the TaB floor - less tongue weight.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    edited May 2022
    Thanks for the feedback.
    While I'm reasonably sure the cage can take the weight, there's probably no need to take that chance. My tentative solution is to make up a trapezoidal frame out of treated lumber, with the small end resting on the frame members (the "V" just forward of the cage), with the rear on the platform itself, just forward of the cargo box. I'll post a photo once I finish. The cooler is too bulky to fit inside the camper.
    Regarding tongue weight, I've actually been concerned that there is not enough mass at the front since I changed over to a dual lithium battery setup that now resides in the passenger-side bench, inside the trailer. The cargo boxes have mostly relatively lightweight but bulky items in them; the only things with any significant mass up front are a toolbox, small hydraulic jack and the propane tank. I haven't checked the actual tongue weight, but suspect that it's somewhere in the 150 lb range.
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    Most sources say that tongue weight should be between 10 and 15% for best towing. That's a big cooler. It's weight will vary quite a bit between full and empty. My fear would be it making it hard to properly balance your load. I'm not a fan of carrying things inside that have to be removed before entering, but @Sharon_is_SAM has a point. Inside over the axle might be the best way to go.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• newcampnewcamp Member Posts: 63
    Could you weigh it (the tongue weight)? Using a bathroom scale and using a stud or something to let the hitch coupler rest on the scale.
    2020 T@B 320s Boondock Lite. 2015 Kia Sorrento EX V6 AWD
    edited May 2022
    I checked my tongue weight this morning and was very surprised that it came in at 265 pounds. This includes the propane tank, but nothing else except for a pair of Bradley boxes that are 30 pounds total. Obviously, putting the cooler up in the tongue area is out of the question. Not that big of a deal, as it can ride where it has to date, which is in the TV.
    My real concern is that 265 pounds with nothing but a propane tank already puts me close to the 15% guideline ceiling. Not to mention that it is also is more than 130 lbs greater than the published tongue weight (wet). Something seems out of whack, especially since the water tank is empty and my batteries are in the passenger-side bench compartment (and are only 70 lbs total).
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited May 2022
    Try filling ykur fres( water tank and reweigh the tongue, you might come up with less weight.  A 15-% tongue weight is about right, going greater than 30% might be an issue, as guidelines are 10% minimum to 20% on an average.  The TV tongue weight limits are also important to stay within.

Also try packing the heavier items in your TaB over or behind the axle, especially canned food stuff, heavy pots, and extra water you might be carrying.  This will help control the tongue weight and keep the trailer balanced correctly.  The weights nüCamp lists, are dry weights, no liquids, no battery, and only an empty propane tank in the front box.  

The weight of a lot of small stuff can add up in hurry, especially in the front galley.  Overhead lockers should not have any heavy items, like glass, canned goods, etc.  We only put paper products, plastic (melamine) and silicone dish ware.  Keep heavy items low in the trailer for best balance.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    edited May 2022
    @CharlieRN. Something does not seem right. With two 125ah AGM batteries, propane and other supplies in my tongue box, we come in at a tongue weight a little higher than yours with our 320S. But that's with only my spare on the back rack. Once we load our inflatable kayak and pop-up canopy back there (about another 100 lbs), the tongue weight falls into the safe percentage zone.
    Was your weight taken with everything on the rack on the back of your Boondock that you would normally pack?

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• ViajeroViajero Member Posts: 123
    We have a 400 so different animal but figured I would share how we weigh the hitch. I’m not a fan of any of the tongue weigh scales and feel they are inaccurate for our little trailers that many of us tow with smaller vehicles. We use a fat guy bathroom scale. Good to 400 pounds. Works well. Our max hitch weigh for our tow vehicle is 350 pounds so we have to keep an eye on stuff. Fully packed we are 340 pounds on the hitch and the trailer total weight is about 3430 pounds. Pretty much 10 percent. Tows well. 

By the way the earlier posters suggestion on filling the fresh tank is valid as it will lower the hitch weight a bit when it is full. In the case of the 400 so does filling the fridge which is also slightly behind the axle. 

Here’s the pic. Hope it helps. 

• rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    I have 2 smaller rotomolded coolers I thought about strapping to the side boxes but decided against it because seems they would just get to hot going down the road in the bright sun. Ended up putting them in the back seat of the truck to help ensure they stay cool. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
    edited July 2022
    We're getting ready to leave for a week of camping, so I'm resurrecting this thread to add updated information.
    I did a tongue weight check this morning with everything we normally carry in the three cargo boxes (incl full propane tank), as well as the cooler in place as shown in the photo on my initial post. I put a pail of sand  (40lbs) in the cooler to approximate the weight of ice and food. I did not fill the T@B's water tank however. Total tongue weight measured about 338 lbs.
    By my rough calculations, the total weight of the loaded trailer is approximately 2,450 lbs., so as measured this morning, the tongue weight is under 15% of GAWR. The actual tongue weight should be a bit less than I measured this morning since as folks note, the (filled) water tank is behind the axle. Some of our gear is carried on the rack at the extreme aft of the camper, so this will also shift things a bit. I will check the tongue weight again before hitting the road however.
    Edit: I forgot to add that I think I found the reason for the initial tongue weight being high. I put the scale under the jack (dolly removed). The measurement this morning was at the hitch.