Options

Alde -replace glycol instructions/video

We want to replace the fluid in the Alde but we were nervous to do it ourselves. We live far from dealers, and it is expensive to get it done. So—we want to try it ourselves and at least we will know what was done and learn about the mechanics as well. 

We have been reading the threads for replacing the fluid for some time but really need specific instructions. For instance, in the thread this week someone mentioned a bleeder tube at the foot of the bed in the 400. We only knew of 3 valves so we never bled the 4th. Also, how exactly to get the shower panel off and on again? 

There is also talk of a pump and special tubing. Are there parts we need to order or is this a Lowe’s and Harbor Freight project? 

If there is a specific instruction thread or even better a video showing how to use the pump and tubes that would be perfect! 

Someone mentioned just this week that they wanted to learn to do everything on their own Tab and we were inspired. We are ready to get in there and figure this out-we just need guidance. 
Thanks! 
2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,031
    Good for you!  Learn as much as you can and don't be over intimidated.  You comfort zone will change as you dig into the camper and you'll find out what you can/want to do and what you don't.  My wife and I changed out our glycol this week and are so glad we did it ourselves.  

If you have a 2021 400 there is a good chance you have the bleeder valve by the bed.  But since they sometimes make small changes throughout the model year it's possible you do not.  But our 2021 was a very early build so chances are you do have it.  It is located in the back corner by the television. I was able to squeeze my hand down there and feel the tube then pull it up.  If not you can always remove the panel and look for it.  The photo I posted in the Rhomar thread shows the tube.  Also check behind the dinette seat(door side near the screen door).  You can actually remove the cushions and look to see if the tube is there(there is a small gap between the wooden seat base and the wall panel.  But to access that bleeder you have to remove the 4 screws holding on the seat/storage top then pull the tube out.

Sorry I did no video on the process, that would be nice though.  But it is basically just filling a bucket with distilled water, dropping in the pump, with half the tubing attached, putting the other end in the outflow of the reservoir (make sure it is seated inside the outflow tube), placing the other tube near the inflow of the reservoir (other end duck taped to the shop vac), then pump in water and suck out the return century fluid.  Check the bleeders a few times and once its clear water you can stop.  Then do it again but pump in Rhomar until the water is all forced out.  I used about 15 gallons of water and 3.5 gallons of Rhomar. 

Here is a list of what I used:
    Rhomar, Shop Vac, Duck Tape(to secure tubing to the shop vac), 5 gallon bucket
    Pump:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y6BW1GX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
    Tubing:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DXL6SFS?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,705
    This link takes you to the DIY Glycol exchange file.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    @xdr - here is ScottG’s DIY Alde Glycol Exchange.  Scroll down to the 2nd post from the bottom:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7722/alde-manuals-and-resources#latest
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 263
    Thank you to all for the info! Maybe we will make a video while we do it.  It’ll be a ‘Funniest Home Video’ for sure 🤣🤣 we are definitely an Abbot and Costello team. 

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 473
    So @xdr look at the post I did on this thread page for details on the 400 bath bleeder for my 2019 plus some more pics and an attached written procedure using a submersible pump borrowed using ideas from @Horigan and ideas from @ScottG

should be about halfway down this page 17

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/2665/changing-out-the-alde-fluid/p17

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab