Options

Changing out the Alde fluid.

Comments

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @VictoriaP not sure of your location, I am in Oregon. I too have been researching this. Alde USA suggested maybe Apache, but I didn't check there. Johnson RV in Portland area, while listed as an Alde service center knows nothing about Alde's, so scratch that. Guaranty RV in Eugene area says they can do it confirmed by Alde USA and myself, however I have yet to get that call back with a price they promised. I contacted both Airstream dealers in Oregon, the one in Portland refuses to work on anything that isn't an AS and the one in Eugene says they could, but long wait and the ballpark but not firm price was $800-900. I have considered going to the shop in San Diego area, hey I bought my Tab in Indiana, so road trips are familiar, but it would take a week of time for a procedure that shouldn't be that difficult.

Alde USA didn't think they could sell thier $900 pump to civilians, which seems like a crock of you know what, so I am likely to red-green-duct tape-redneck a pump together for under $50 and see if I can source the Rhomar fluid and do this myself.

I was actually seriously considering buying the pump from Alde, there are three Tabs that I know of in my little town here in Central Oregon (I have talked to both of the other owners), split the cost, I keep pump for future use and we buy a few buckets of fluid and have a DIY party. Honestly this isn't rocket science if you have a way to pump fluid in, not being able to do a gravity drain is a serious maintenance design flaw... Here in the PNW, Gensco (a commercial HVAC wholesale supplier) is listed as a dealer for Rhomar, so that might be a source of the fluid.

I expect Nucamp and Alde likely will be as silent as they can on this issue. A big issue likely fluid change on units going back a number of years plus replacement of corroded convectors probably isn't in their budget as a small manufacturer. I think the NuCamp announcement of the fluid changing in new units is going to be it from NuCamp. Airstream took a very proactive approach, issuing a recall, but likely dealing with far fewer total Alde installs and a much bigger company.

My two cents is Alde knows the Century fluid wasn't protecting the aluminum as well as it should, made the switch to hopefully head off future warranty claims and left it to the RV builders to decide fate of already installed customer base.

I have said it previously here, I don't believe the fluid change was due to some new metal material in 2021 and newer Alde's. I base that on Airstream issuing a recall for all units since 2018 for a complete flush and change, I seriously doubt Airstream did that just because. That move indicates to me Airstream thought it best to get that old fluid out ASAP at their cost before they have to start replacing corroded parts.
    I've seen a couple of users/videos that use a $18 12volt sump pump to exchange the fluid.  Coupling it up just depends on where your tank is and if you want to disconnect the hoses or attempt to rig up something like ScottG did.  Use the pump to pump in fresh fluid and a bucket to catch the old stuff.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Tampakayaker yes, my plan right now, it seems like for under $50 you can build something, best would be that goes in Alde tank to avoid breaking anything, easy on my 400, not sure about on a 320 and one of the three locally is a 320.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    edited April 2021
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @Tampakayaker yes, my plan right now, it seems like for under $50 you can build something, best would be that goes in Alde tank to avoid breaking anything, easy on my 400, not sure about on a 320 and one of the three locally is a 320.
    The 320 (especially pre 2021) is constructed in a way to make accessing the tank difficult and the rest of the Alde awkward. I’ll be interested just from a curiosity perspective to see what others end up doing, but I know even stretching my personal DIY comfort zone isn’t going to reach this far. Winterizing is about my limit, jury rigging a pump and pulling everything apart just to drain and flush a very-expensive-to-repair system if I get it wrong? Way beyond my ability.

I strongly feel this should be a recall issue for Alde (not sure what nuCamp’s liability would be in this case) and if a recall isn’t forthcoming soon, well, that will likely factor into my decision. I agree with your assessment, though that both companies are unlikely to take action on older units until/unless they absolutely must, and I have a real problem with that when it’s evident the previous fluid (and potentially the way the units were installed) is causing damage.

Edit to add: Welp. The one potential trouble spot I can reach (passenger side dinette cabinet) without dismantling cabinetry has a small but noticeable bulge in one hose. On a two year old unit that’s been used TWICE, for a sum total of about 7 days. Any further opinion I have can’t be adequately expressed in vocabulary suitable to this forum. Unfortunately other non trailer stuff that’s going disastrously wrong means this will be low priority for me at the moment, but obviously low usage is not protective in this case, and absolutely everyone should be checking their trailers. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,433
    edited April 2021
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Yes, that was precisely the point of this extensive discussion. The "Alde glycol pump" I built from ideas shared here cost about $25, was easy to construct with the most rudimentary of skills, should work with any model/year of T@B, and requires no modification or dismantling of the system. The design has now been successfully employed by several owners. There are swankier versions that use electric pumps and higher-end couplings, but the basic concept is the same--pump it in one end, collect it on the other.

I'm not sure there is a simpler solution out there. YMMV.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @ScottG, yes I plan on building something similar to what you did, however I think I will source a small electric pump to hopefully avoid the air pumping you described on your setup. Still relatively inexpensive and see no reason why it won't produce satisfactory results.

Maybe you already did, but did you post a source or name for your metal piping? I have spent more time than I think I should of searching and actually looking at the hardware store too and have not found those metal tubes. Any tips, maybe I just don't know what they are called. I did find #2 rubber stoppers with a hole at a home brewing supply place...
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    @ScottG, great work. As simple as it could be. 

Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    For anyone wanting to find a source for the new Rhomar fluid, click on your state here: http://rhomarwater.com/Where_to_Buy.html
    and a list of dealers in your region will opt up.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    pakpak Member Posts: 114
    I checked with both of the Spokane dealers listed on this website and neither had ever heard of it. :). Airstream said I could buy it from them @60/gal. I am going to call the company. The place in Montana @17/gal sounds great.
  • Options
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @ScottG, yes I plan on building something similar to what you did, however I think I will source a small electric pump to hopefully avoid the air pumping you described on your setup. Still relatively inexpensive and see no reason why it won't produce satisfactory results.

Maybe you already did, but did you post a source or name for your metal piping? I have spent more time than I think I should of searching and actually looking at the hardware store too and have not found those metal tubes. Any tips, maybe I just don't know what they are called. I did find #2 rubber stoppers with a hole at a home brewing supply place...
    I agree an electric pump would probably do a more consistent job moving the fluid. However, FWIW, the added air didn't seem to pose any real problem--as soon as I activated the circulator pump at high speed, the air found its way out via the expansion tank within seconds and everything settled quickly onto normal operation.

Per @gregndeb's design, the adapters are made from 3/8" OD rigid but bendable toilet water supply lines. I think these were common "back in the day" but have since been supplanted by flexible braided or plastic connectors. I found mine in the plumbing section at the orange big box (<$5 each), but they should be pretty common wherever plumbing supplies are sold.

The chrome is just for looks. The tubing is soft copper and can be bent easily by hand so long as you go slow and keeps the curves gentle to avoid kinking. You do need to cut off the flange at the top.

You want the stoppers to be reasonably tight so they don't easily slide up the tube when you insert them firmly into the expansion tank outlets. Mine were fine as I had drilled them myself to be a little snug. If the standard drilled stoppers slip too much, you might need to be creative in fashioning a stop of some sort, but frankly I doubt it will be a problem.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    Of course the real issue will come when and if these units start needing real repairs. Fortunately, with the oldest units topping six years, there has so far been little discussion about Aldes breaking down. 
    Looking back through this lengthy discussion, I found this quote from myself in December of 2020.

Was I prescient, naive, or did I just jinx everything by saying it?  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    ScottG said:
    ChanW said:
    Great @ScottG, you finally got a round tooit! Nice and simple.

I like @tybladesmith's suggestion...

Replace the existing drain tee-hose fitting with the double tee, pinch in the middle, and push out the old glycol with the new, with a distilled-water flush in between.

My reservoir has a cap with a rubber seal in the cap, so with the vent hose outlet plugged, the reservoir becomes a sealed chamber with glycol and an air cushion in it....

I could do all the pumping and draining from outside the Tab...

Anyone see something I'm missing?

(do we have a direct source for Alde parts yet, or am I going to have to go through my dealer to order - the double tee Bottom Fill & Drain fitting - Alde part# 1900 876)

@ScottG,  Alde bottom fill dual drain hose for bottom fill systems. ? Add this inline at a low point, clamp in-between and then drain/flush with distilled water before refilling with fresh glycol. Maybe even replacing the existing drain with a dual drain and fill under slight pressure to auto purge the air into the reservoir after the isolation clamp is removed using the onboard circulation pump. What do you think? 

FWIW, I just rediscovered this diagram I had made when I was pondering the installation of a filling tee. I'm not sure I ever posted it, but it is relevant here because it is the same basic idea as what is being proposed by @tybladesmith and @ChanW. For those following, it gives a visual sense of how the glycol would flow using this setup.

Wow, after being away from the forum for a while, it's taking me a looooong time to catch up with all the additions to this topic, but it is great to see so much progress being made!  I still like this "T" idea for draining & refilling, if there is a good way to handle connections & disconnections.  Thanks for this diagram, @ScottG.  I wonder if you really need the pump if the new glycol supply is positioned at the same level or higher than the expansion tank and the circulation pump can be controlled. Wondering if my 12V Alde kill switch would be handy for quickly killing the pump if the expansion tank gets overfilled.  
    For your filling Tee, I'm picturing a 3-way valve such as this..

.. which would allow either passthrough for normal use, or to interrupt the normal flow while opening the supply of new replacement fluid.  See here..

Seems I would need to use your draining methods at first, to get the lines clear in order to hook up the valve, but then the valve would be useful for flushing with air pressure or distilled water & refilling.
    Wondering if you're still considering the Tee approach & what you think of the valve.  I figured stainless would be better than brass, but not sure if these fittings would even be compatible with the glycol. 
    And then there's the glycol versus the new stuff decision!

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    @BrianZ, Yes your Alde kill switch worked great for me. I felt totally in control and had no overflow or spills when I did my basement heat project in Dec. 2019. Air was purged and make up glycol was added to expansion tank. It was done in 15 minutes with the Alde circulation pump set to 5. I then turned speed down to 2 and fired boiler up to thermostat setpoint temperature. After 45 minutes I shut system down and the expansion tank level never changed. Done!
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    Just have to say..I was never told last year when we bought our 320 anything about the glycol fluid and that we would have to change it ever two years at a cost of $500+ ( Apache in Happy Valley,Or. ) 
    Thinking seriously of selling..
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    @trimtab, I understand your frustration. When I bought my T@B there was a single line in the Alde manual about this requirement, and nothing at all about the Alde in the general T@B owner's manual. And who reads owner's manuals, anyway? Or changes antifreeze, for that matter?  ;-)

Ultimately, I learned slowly about Aldes through questions raised here. Maybe too little, too late. Regardless, if your dealer even knew about the glycol change requirement, I'd be darn surprised if they advertised it prior to the sale. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited April 2021
    BrianZ said:
    Wondering if you're still considering the Tee approach & what you think of the valve.  I figured stainless would be better than brass, but not sure if these fittings would even be compatible with the glycol. 
    And then there's the glycol versus the new stuff decision!

@BrianZ, great minds think alike!  ;-)

A T-port valve was among the first ideas I considered. Conceptually, I still think it is a very elegant solution, but I eventually abandoned it over (perhaps unwarranted) concerns about flow restriction, metals incompatibility, and getting it to fit properly in the odd 22mm hoses. Also cost, as the ones I found at the time were considerably more expensive than your example.

I eventually moved on to a simpler version using a basic tee fitting and judicious application of hose clamps. I had similar concerns about materials, flow, and fitment, so was leaning toward the installation of a second OEM Alde drain as a fill port. (The dual drain fitting suggested by @tybladesmith didn't come along until later, but the idea is the same.)

In the end I had two goals. One was to get my own glycol changed. The other was to devise and document the simplest possible process that would be accessible to the greatest number of owners. This would have to involve low cost, readily accessible parts, minimal technical skill, limited potential for spills, and no modification or dismantling of the existing system. Skilled tinkerers enjoy tinkering and will most always find a successful (and often elaborate) solution. Others, however, have little aptitude for or interest in the mechanical arts and just need to get the job done with minimal fuss.

For various reasons I'm sticking with (and working on documenting) the process I summarized on April 11. That said, I'd love to hear a report of the filling tee method--particularly one that incorporates that sexy T-port valve!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited April 2021
    Thanks for your feedback, @ScottG - much appreciated.
    The idea of keeping connections outside the trailer sounds good, but crawling underneath to make an inlet connection & then being isolated from the system & controls does not seem ideal.  

I thought I might install the 3-way valve right there on the pump hose next to the system but closer to the drain, where all the other valves & drains are located.  Then it would just be a matter of attaching an inlet hose with container of new fluid or flush water to the 3-way valve.  This might require a detachable shutoff valve to easily remove the inlet hose without spills.  Still thinking, but if the fittings are tight, this could work.  I'm still wondering if the 3/4" barbed fitting with hose clamp is close enough to the hose's 22mm ID.  I may need to get some of that hose to test.  Where can I get some of that?

PS:  How are people disposing of their old used glycol?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237

Thank you Scott.  I have calmed down now.
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 615
    BrianZ said:

Some auto parts stores will accept it.  Just call it antifreeze.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    @BrianZ, I've got plenty of hose you can test with!  =)   That was mostly a joke but I actually could send you a short piece if you'd like, it's the real thing.
    I've actually thought of using the valve you illustrated above but haven't gotten past the "mixing metals" issue. I was trying to get an aluminum ball valve shown in an Alde catalog to use for drain & refill purposes but I'm having a difficult time making replacement parts happen at the moment.
    And for the "removing the inlet hose without spills" I thought of the quick release connections like I have on my tractor, they hold a lot of pressure (not that we need it there) and would make connections a "snap" 8^D   But alas, again it's the "mixed metals" conundrum... :|
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    @BrianZ, my original idea was also to put the filling tee inside for exactly the reasons you mentioned. However, others see more advantage to working from the outside. It's a potato-potahto thing--regardless of where you prefer to sit when you do it, either configuration should get the job done in the same way.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    And speaking of mixed metals, my simple inquiry (complete with diagram) to Truma/Alde regarding the composition of the middle wall of the boiler body has netted no response as of yet. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    The boiler combustion chamber is aluminum and the water chamber is ferritic stainless steel per the 3020 installation manual.
  • Options
    Thanks Ty, that was my understanding also.
    cheers
  • Options
    Horigan said:
    BrianZ said:

Some auto parts stores will accept it.  Just call it antifreeze.
    Also most auto service centers/shops that change out a car’s antifreeze will accept the glycol, a small fee may be charged to recycle it.  If you have a community HazMat/recycle center you can take it there.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726

fstop32 said:
    @Tampakayaker, hope the pic helps.  I'm always big on marking things as I pull them apart  =)

@ScottG or others,  my T@b hoses were hooked up opposite of this picture,  the bigger and lower drain were plumbed down to the Alde and the exit drain, and the flow into the tank from the radiator went in the higher smaller  connection.  

From this picture it looks like if you drain, you would still have water pooled in the tank at that lower point?

I wonder if it really matters as long as the tank is kept at the proper level?  I don't want to go flip them around, but at this point I'm not sure who's installation is correct.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    The boiler combustion chamber is aluminum and the water chamber is ferritic stainless steel per the 3020 installation manual.
    @tybladesmith, that is my understanding as well, but the description leaves some ambiguity about the partition between the glycol chamber and the hot water chamber. See my post here for more information--this was the question I posed to Truma/Alde.

While the chemistry is a little out of my pay-grade, the question is of interest since by most general standards stainless and aluminum components should not be mixed, as the cathodic stainless can promote corrosion of the anodic aluminum. 

I'm not sure how to get a definitive answer other than to dismantle the boiler and have a look for myself.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 615
    edited April 2021
    db_cooper said:

fstop32 said:
    @Tampakayaker, hope the pic helps.  I'm always big on marking things as I pull them apart  =)

@ScottG or others,  my T@b hoses were hooked up opposite of this picture,  the bigger and lower drain were plumbed down to the Alde and the exit drain, and the flow into the tank from the radiator went in the higher smaller  connection.  

From this picture it looks like if you drain, you would still have water pooled in the tank at that lower point?

I wonder if it really matters as long as the tank is kept at the proper level?  I don't want to go flip them around, but at this point I'm not sure who's installation is correct.

You're right that some will be left in the reservoir as shown in the picture.  I thought is should be plumbed like yours is so it drains completely.  I don't think it matters.  You might get more gurgle sounds at low levels and high pumps speeds, but at normal pump speeds it should not matter either way.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    db_cooper said:

At first glance I can't see where it would really matter. If there is a reason why one port (typically the inlet from the convectors) is a bit lower it's lost on me.

If anything my intuition tells me the outlet back to the Alde should be lower, as it may help reduce drawing air into the system in the event that the glycol in the tank gets low. Also--to your question--this configuration would facilitate more complete draining of the tank from the low point drain. Again, not sure it really matters from a normal operational standpoint.

Hmmmm, maybe all the rest of us have tanks that are hooked up backwards.  ;-)    @tybladesmith, you mentioned having an Alde installation manual? Does it provide any insight?

EDIT: Just found this in the 3010 installation manual. It suggests that the common configuration is correct, though the reasoning is still unclear. It might have to do with the fact that some installations have a circulator mounted in the reservoir. Just guessin'... 

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Apparently the expansion tank was designed with a larger bottom inlet for an in-tank suction pump, not used with T@Bs. I would think the lower connection would best be connected to the hose with the drain tee going back to the Alde suction pump. But Scott, as you say, it probably doesn't matter.