Options

AC not blowing cold air - CoolCat and Air8

Stack8706Stack8706 Member Posts: 3
Hi Everyone, 
Were getting ready to go out on the maiden voyage and while loading it we noticed the AC is not cooling the camper at all. Unit is a 2022 Tab 400, It feels like just the fan is on, but I hear the AC kick on. I also noticed im not getting any condensate from the drain line, any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited July 2022
    First, did you select the snowflake symbol on the CoolCat AC control panel?
    Next, did,you remove the outside vent cover?  If the cover is left in, compressor will start, then stop when it heats up.  Sounds like your issue
    Third is the temp on the control panel set to a temp lower than the ambient temp in the trailer cabin (if set higher, compressor will not come on)?

If the answer to,1&3 is yes, and the cover (no2) has been removed, you got an issue with the CoolCat, contact your dealer.  Is this the first time you tested the AC?  Sorry to hear about your issue.
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Hey Denny, 
    yes it is set correctly and yes the cover is off. right now ambient in the RV is about 96 I set it to 87 I can hear the compressor come on but I'm not getting cold air at all. Im afraid i have a R410A leak, I looked to see if there was a Thermal switch i could reset but couldnt see one 

I did test it last week and it blew cool air I'm not sure what could have happened to cause this. 
  • Options
    Me either, you still have your warranty repair/replacement available.  You can contact CoolCat tech support directly, they may be able to help.  Look in resources guide here or your AC manual for the number.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    Is it possible that it is just too hot outside and inside for the CoolCat to make a difference?  Maybe leave it run a couple hours?  Put it in the shade?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Good thought Sharon.  I did a test with the inside temp in the low 90s, but outside it was only high 70s, TaB in the sun, but the AC vent was on shady side of the trailer, so not too hot.  The AC kicked on after a few minutes, and started blowing cold air in 5min or less.  If outside temp is in the 90s, then the CoolCat may not be getting cold enough air to cool down, so compressor shuts off as if the cover was still on.  I did try to run the AC with the cover on, and got the issue Stack8706 is having.  Direct hot sun on the outside vent could have a similar effect, I would think.  
    Cheers 
  • Options
    Both very possible, it’s well into the 90’s today and 90% humidity. I called the dealer they fear it’s Freon related. The good news where we are going it’ll only be in the 60’s at night.

i work in industrial equipment so I talked so some of my refrigeration guys and they are thinking the same thing
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    We had our CoolCat in our 2019 on for most of 5 days with temperatures in high 90s two weeks back and high humidity in middle TN. The unit cooled quickly and we got inside in the 70s in about an hour.

It likely is the refrigerant if you hear the compressor cycle. 

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 934
    edited July 2022
    In extremely hot temps and humidity it is sometimes difficult to get enough "cool" air into the AC's condenser.  The grill on the CoolCat has three distinct regions.  The two outside areas are where the cooling air enters and the center is where the heated air exits.  Unless it is quite breezy, the warmed air often recirculates into the fresh air inlets.  This will severely limit cooling capasity and often will cause the compressor thermal cut out to act.
    A large improvement can be made by making a simple baffle that helps separate the flows.  Something similar to the picture made from cardboard at first to prove a design and then cloroplast or something more weather resistant will make a startling difference in tough conditions.  

There is a similar thread with other examples.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/169322#Comment_169322

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    And: the thermostats in the Alde and the AC's in the trailers are "estimates" at best.  Take the thermostat on the AC down bit by bit and see if it kicks in.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    raynoldsdraynoldsd Member Posts: 3
    Us too.  We have a 2021 Tab 320 that has only been taken on 2 close short trips.  AC refuses to cool down.  I called in a Mobile repair and had them come out to look at it.  $140 later, we were told that the AC compressor has leaked the freon or whatever it's called.  And we were told it's a sealed unit so there is no way to fix the issue.  So now we have to wait 2 months to get in for service with what is pretty much a brand new camper so there goes the summer.  And to make matters worse, we were told by the dealership that not all units have the same model tof Air8 hat is put in the camper so I can't even find out if they have the unit in parts.  NOT GOOD!  After paying so much for this camper, I am about to trash this thing.  It all looks and works brand new, but in Florida with NO AIR, that is unacceptable.  Our compressor sounds like it's kicking on so that was why we couldn't figure out what the problem was.  Looked at the u-tube videos for help.  Tried the Air Force Guys instructions to keep the fan blowing when the compressor kicks on and also no luck.  SO FREAKING FRUSTRATED and this is what is supposed to be a quality unit?  Anybody want it?  I'll be glad to sell it cheaply.

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    edited July 2022
    Hi,

Sorry to hear about your Air8 issues.   Did your mobile repair main measure the discharge temperature out of the vents?  If so, what was it?  Also, what is the outside temperature?  What is the temperature inside the TAB?

Is there no condensation coming out of the tube below the trailer (assuming you live in a humid vs. dry climate).

You are getting no temperature drop at all out of your vents, just warm outside air even after running for about 30 minutes?   

Just to double check, and I'm sure you have it right...but you have it on AC mode (snowflake) and not dehumidication mode (teardrop).

Also,  Just curious , did the dealer show you or tell you more about the two different Air8 models.  I've done a lot of looking to find out more info about the Air8 and how it works and have only been able to find info on one model.  I've mailed Elwell a few times and they have never mentioned anything about more than 1 model.

Thank you,

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    I spoke with the dealership parts department at the dealership for the Tab320 to ask what the price would be if I had to purchase a new Air8.  I even gave them my VIN number and I still got the story that they put different AC models (mine is the Air8 from Elwell, and being that I have a 320, I'm thinking it's the smaller one).  But the woman said even in the Air8 she can't tell me anything without my calling the company again.  No temp drop at the vents.  Had them check the exhaust and intake under the camper.  This is a mobile RV repair company that has numerous great reviews.  When I called the Air8 maker, they didn't help.  I'm so frustrated.  I did what they said and no help from the dealership.  They just said they didn't know what to order and that there was no doing parts orders like from cars.  I would think with the year the model and especially the VIN, that would have given them all they needed to order.  

• Options
    Oh, and yes, the snowflake is tfor he AC, tthe plus and minus signs set the AC temp up or down, he little circle that looks like a spinning fan is the fan speed and on and off and the teardrop is the dehumidifier.