Options

Filling hot water tank on Alde

My Alde manual says, to "make hot water with the heating system," fill the RV water tank, then, "fill the hot water tank in the heating system."  My question is how to fill the hot water tank in the Alde heating system?  The last step in the instructions I have for de-winterizing says, after taking the  system out of bypass and running fresh water through all the taps and toilet, open the hot water tap at the kitchen sink and run "until the Alde fills (I guess, meaning the hot water tank in the Alde?) and all air is pushed out of the tap."  How will I know when the hot water tank I filled? and what is meant by air being pushed out of the tap?  
2018 T@B 320S

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2022
    Good question.  To fill the Alde water tank, connect eye TaB to City Water connection (quicker and saves water in main water tank), pressure fill the main TaB water tank per the Nautilus panel (assuming you have a newer TaB), when main tank is full, water wii come out the overflow tube under the trailer by the wheel.  

Next to fill hot water tank (and Flo tank on a 400) set the Alde Bypass valve to normal position.  
      Then set Nautilus to City Water Camping position, pressurize (turn on) the city water connection (be sure to use an in use water filter on the hose between the city water tap and the trailer).
      Next, open the sink taps to release any air, when water flows steady.  Then switch tap to hot water only and once water flow is steady from the hot water tap, then the hot water tank is full.  Repeat for washroom shower hose, to get air out of these lines also.  

Opening the taps, allows the trapped air to escape and be replaced by water.  Opening the hot water tap, allows the air to escape from the hot water tank whilst it is filled.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2022
    @jalars8, what year and model T@B do you own?  That will help with specific responses.  (You might want to add that info to your signature line as well.  It helps speed things up as far as individuals who respond to questions.)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Bayliss, that would indeed be helpful.  Other than the Nautilus reference for setting to City Water setting, the procedure to fill the hot water tank is the same.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,529
    @jalars8 - via the city water connection or via the fresh water tank using the pump, the procedure to fill the Alde water tank is the same.  Open the tap and let the water run until it stops sputtering.  This means that all the air in the Alde and water pipes has evacuated and the Alde tank is now full.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 278
    I think you need to make sure your tap is running in hot water mode in order to fill the Alde hot water system. Run it until all the air bleeds out and the water flows clear.

Then every couple of weeks on the road dig down to the Alde water heater housing area and open the yellow flip valve on the hot water line for 10-20 seconds to release water and renew the air cushion in the Alde hot water system so you keep gettin a good supply of hot water.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    You can accomplish the same thing by opening the low point hot water drain for a second or two.  No need to dig into the Alde compartment, which on the newer TaB400 requires removing screws.  The Alde instruction for using the yellow pressure relief valve is on systems that do not have a low point drain on the hot water tank.  Also, if only using the camper for a week or less. This is not necessary.  The air cushion will be restored after draining and refilling the tanks between trips.
     Cheers 

• Options
    jalars8jalars8 Member Posts: 35
    Forgot to mention that my T@b is a 2018 320 so don't have a Nautilus panel.
    2018 T@B 320S
  • Options
    jalars8jalars8 Member Posts: 35
    Really appreciate the information from everyone who has responded.  Gives me a much better understanding of the Alde hot water system.  Thanks.
    2018 T@B 320S
  • Options
    In that case, the job is much easier, hook up the City Water connection, pressurize the system, open the taps and Bob’s your uncle... 
    cheers