Options

Cooler Insert

DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
edited July 2022 in Products and Accessories
Just a heads up about a product which we have found extremely useful and have used on all of our camping adventures for the last 4.5 years.  The Cooler Insert is back in production after being idle for 22 months due to the pandemic and supply chain issues.  They are offering a time limited discount as they reintroduce their product.  Check out their website at coolerinsert.com for product details and discount.
2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
Massachusetts

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    That is a clever idea!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, yes it is, now to see if it will fit our cooler.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    Thank you. I think I need this...
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    Code for discount is REWARD
    discount only good till August 1st.

I feel cooler already...
  • Options
    sandystab400sandystab400 Member Posts: 9
    What a great idea. Thank you. 
    Valerie and Sandy
    2022 Tab 400BD
    2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    Redding and Pacific Grove Ca.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    How do you empty the insert when the ice has melted inside it?
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    @Binghi - go to coolerinsert.com to view the video.  It has a siphon hose built in that allows water to flow out of the insert.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    The website is very descriptive about the product which is helpful. We have found that by filling with water and freezing (glacier method) and placing in a pre chilled high performance cooler that the ice has lasted in excess of a week. Cube ice can be added (or even better chunks of block ice) for extended camping trips. The feature of a cold dry cooler and its’ contents is much appreciated. By freezing the Cooler Insert at home is also a cost savings to have 20+ pounds of a block ice to start your trip. YRMV
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    We feel like we solved the problem of keeping things dry a long time ago by using tall plastic bins in the cooler. The type designed to hold cereal work in our ice cooler. Things to stay dry go in a bin that is surrounded by ice. Things like drinks still ride in the ice. When the ice finally melts, we drain out the via the drain plug, no siphon needed Here are some pictures to show our method.

Just an alternative way to solve the problem...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    I spoke to the company owner earlier today to confirm that the insert would fit in our cooler.  He is a really nice guy with an interesting story about his product development, manufacture and the impact of covid. Apparently the unusual shape of the insert does encourage cold water circulation and does provide improved cooling... so sez "independent laboratory tests."  anyway, mine shipped earlier today, and with the way this summer has been I should have a chance to test it in extreme conditions soon! 
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    @DenisP I want to thank you for posting about this product! I got one, plus a new cooler (nothing too fancy like a Yeti--just had to be big enough) for my husband's birthday this year. We tried it out this weekend, and it works great! Cold food and drinks, and everything was dry. We used it for 4 days, and it was still ice cold when we got home. 
  • Options
    @Deb55 you are welcome. We have used our cooler insert on every trip for over 4 years and it has never let us down. Especially in the cool to moderate weather with a good cooler, ice lasts a long time. (Returned After 10 day trip to New River Gorge and half the ice was still there.!)  I start out with a pre-cooled cooler and the insert frozen and it does a great job. Recently upgraded our cooler to a Yeti 110 and use the cooler insert and two frozen 1 gal water bottles to start a trip, the results are really good even in much warmer weather. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts