Why do I need a Battery? 2017 T@B 320-S

Serious question here.  Wondering why one needs a battery if you ALWAYS operate from shore power in an RV park?  Appears that the unit running lights operate without a battery, as long as your power switch is turned on as you travel.  So, seriously, what purpose does the battery serve if you do not need power in the unit at other times?  Thanks.

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited July 2022
    For camping, you probably don't, but it is an important safety component. If the trailer becomes separated from the tow vehicle, a battery is required to activate the trailer's emergency breaking system (and the battery disconnect switch must be turned ON).
    Of course, you don't need a $1K 200ah lithium ion battery to accomplish this. Any garden variety marine wet cell will do. Just make sure you keep it charged and assess its health once in a while.
    And as an additional bonus, you have some back up in the event that your RV park has a power outage.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
  • scott14scott14 Member Posts: 132
    @radite - One reason is for safety.  As I understand it, your emergency trailer brakes will not function if your trailer becomes separated from the tow vehicle without battery power to actuate them.  That alone seems like a good reason to have a battery on board.
    Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    if you ALWAYS operate from shore power then the only purpose the battery serves is to engage the brakes if the trailer detaches. But many of us like camping without shore power, enjoying less crowded and more “primitive” camping, the battery gives us that flexibility. Bottom line is it depends on your style of camping.  
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Even RV parks have power failures.  Without a battery, no built in appliances will work on propane: no Alde, or stove.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • raditeradite Member Posts: 4
    Interesting and thank you.  You have told me something I did not know:  that my 2017 T@B 320 has an emergency braking system, apparently for the sole purpose of stopping the trailer if it comes loose during travel. 

Ive had my battery out for a few months while not using the unit, and placed on trickle charge.  Needing to move the unit a couple of miles to a new parking place, I was surprised that my running lights worked with no battery installed.  I did have the power switch in the "on" position, which I have left on.  There is nothing to run down without the battery in the unit, right?  Thanks again for the "pooled knowledge".
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    radite said:
    Needing to move the unit a couple of miles to a new parking place, I was surprised that my running lights worked with no battery installed."
    The running lights are powered by your tow vehicle. 
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    radite said:
    Interesting and thank you.  You have told me something I did not know:  that my 2017 T@B 320 has an emergency braking system, apparently for the sole purpose of stopping the trailer if it comes loose during travel. 

Just to be clear: when hitching up, four things need to be connected from your trailer to your tow vehicle: the 7 pin cable, two safety chains (crossed beneath the tongue and *not* twisted), and the fourth is the narrow cable for your emergency brakes. If you don’t connect this, the emergency brakes don’t function as designed. The cable is attached to a pin that pulls free in a detachment situation, and triggers a switch that locks up the brakes on the trailer. It uses the same brakes that your brake controller handles while towing, and requires a battery to work.

Regarding your main question, aside from the emergency brakes, it’s useful to have a battery for stops along your drive, so that using the water pump or lights doesn’t drain your vehicle battery…if your 7 pin even allows use when the ignition is off. It’s also useful when you get to the RV park only to find the last available site has a defective power pole, and yes, that’s more common than you’d hope.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    @radite ; The attached PDF file has a basic figure and text explanation on how the electric trailer brakes function with the Battery Cut-Off Switch and Emergency Break-Away Switch shown.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Even my Kenskill Mobil Vacation Home trailer, which requires shore power and sewer connections, had a battery, to operate the brakes in case of a break-w-way situation, which did happen to me once!  Bottom line, you want and need that battery, it keeps the electronic components of the trailer working, in case you do not have shore power.  As previously pointed out, the Alde requires DC power (from either battery or power converter) to operate, as does the radio, TV, stove in some TaBs, to work.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    The 12v battery also lets you run the refrigerator to keep food cool while on the road. 
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
    edited July 2022
    A nice idea, but running the fridge on the small 320S battery may work with a 2-way compressor fridge, but not the older three way Norcold fridge nüCamp previously used.   You might be able do a half day on the TV battery in conjunction with the TaB battery with the 3-way fridge, and still have some battery left when you arrive.
     Cheers 
    OK, friends, I just got some clarity about all of this from nuCamp.  Turns out that the 7 pin plug has the brake power line, but I dont have a brake controller on my truck!  Didnt know that was an option or about brakes either one.  So, this forum has really helped educate me and, I appreciate it!   Let me know if you have comments or other info I need to know. 

nuCamp tech response to me below:

"Your unit would have come with brakes.  The 7-pin connector plug has the brake line in so you do not need an additional plug. However you will need a brake controller to activate the brakes. There are several options that you could pursue. We would recommend talking with a trailer/camper dealer to determine what works best for your car."

Follow up question, assuming Im heading to buy a brake controller setup.  What brand and where?   Best price for something that will get the job done.  Dont think I need lots of extra bells and whistles, or do I?  Thanks.
    Nope, just a basic brake controller.  Choice is going to be limited by your tow vehicle make and model.  You will need a 7-pin trailer connection by the receiver type hitch.  Using a bumper type hitch is not recommended, and an accident waiting to happen.
     Cheers 
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    You have two choices in brake controllers: hardwired, and wireless. Hard wiring either requires some comfort with DIY or a professional installer; the controller itself is usually a little less expensive, and is permanently installed in your vehicle. Wireless is more plug and play. 

I went with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless. No complaints, and easily switched to a different tow vehicle as needed. But it’s not the cheapest out there.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    We went with the wired Autowbrake electric brake controller. Also not cheap, but has been trouble free. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Tell us what year and model of vehicle you have, and whether or not it came equipped with a "factory tow package".  A "tow package" would include the hitch, etc.  If it was wired for a controller, then the wiring is probably tucked up into the dash somewhere, and an installer could fish it out and mount the the controller.  I have the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 mounted discreetly under my dash.

If you don't have a "prewired" setup, or you don't want to deal with it,  the wireless setups are fairly popular.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    I have had good luck with the Curt Echo wireless controller, which uses Bluetooth technology and uses your smart phone for setting up,and as a controller.  Down side is, it ties up your phone.
     Cheers